iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fresh air PPE for milling?

Started by Brad_bb, February 16, 2018, 08:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Does anyone use fresh air Personal Protective Equipment for milling?  I have a fresh air compressor for my automotive painting.  I only have a cheapo hood that I hate. 

When milling (inside) I use a face mask

Safety glasses

and ear muffs

These are a real pain in the butt to take on an off, which I do a lot.
I'm thinking a fresh air supplied system would be better, using a one piece helmet/face shield. Maybe like this:

1. It would keep dust out of my eyes.  My current glasses only keep out direct flying dust but I still get dust in my eyes from my eyebrows falling or other that lands on my face or in my hair, or when taking stuff on and off.  2. It would give me fresh air with no dust. 3. It would keep dust out of my hair.  4. As an added bonus it could help keep you cool.

It would have to be easy on and off as you know how often we need to walk around the mill when you have a manual mill.  I am also concerned about dust sticking to the visor, and how easily the visor would get scratched.

Has anyone found anything good like this? That actually works well? 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

firefighter ontheside

I'm not familiar with anything to use in the field.  Of course I could borrow an SCBA from the fire department, but that would only last 30 minutes at a time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Gearbox

If anyone has a good idea I am looking to . My bt6870 processer has the chainsaw mounted high [waist to chin high ] there fore the exhaust saw dust and chain oil are in your face . I wear a North resperator with dust filters . Works until I sweat then I can't keep it sealed . Keeps sliding down my face .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Brad_bb

I'm asking NOT for field use.  I mill indoors.  I suppose you could use the same system outdoors if you were able to power your fresh air pump/compressor and located the intake upwind.

Southside

In general those are known as PAPR units and in the OSHA regulated world there is a LOT to those, monitoring, necessity, fit testing, etc.  I don't much care for OSHA any more than anyone else but when you get into respirators then you really should not fool around on the cheap or you can do more harm than good.  They do work very well, if you do things correctly, and if you get or might get OSHA visits be sure to have all the documentation or else you opened up a can of whoop on yourself. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

No I don't have to worry about that.  I'm just trying to find a more comfortable and convenient way to protect myself.

Peter Drouin

I use a paper mask all the time too. My mill shed is open so I think it helps a lot.
I think you have a good idea with the air thing, Good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

loganworks2

You could use a  3M TR-300-HIK Versaflo PAPR Kit that is portable. I have considered one for use in my wood shop. I hate the paper mask type. They are a bit expensive though.

firefighter ontheside

I have used PAPR units on my FEMA Task Force.  I would assume they are cost prohibitive for people like us, but I really don't know.  They were powered by alkaline batteries.  That could get really expensive.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

loganworks2

The one i listed is lithium ion battery with a 10-12 hr on a charge. It is like any quality tool it pays for itself over time. In this case possibly saving your health and or life. Many of us have been neglecting the health dangers of the dust we create in our daily jobs. I'm personally greatfull Brad that you brought subject up. It has started me thinking and researching again. :P :P

Dave Shepard

When I ran the '94 WM it was set up stationary in a building.  I had a real hard time with the dust. When I installed a vacuum, those problems went away. Getting rid of the dust may be a good way to reduce the need for a hood respirator.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sprucebunny

So these have an air pump built right in ? How often would the filters need to be cleaned ?

I bought a supplied air helmet (3M) with a hose and remote pump (not 3M) for sandblasting. Not cheap. Helmet getting on and off was a pain.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Grizzly

Cleaning out chicken barns is a high dust and ammonia setting. We used this style.

Not very comfortable but sure save the eyes and lungs by the end of the day. We only took them off for breaks which weren't many so it worked.

Back in the 80's my dad bought something like that fresh air helmet you showed. Not near so streamlined like this new one but it was effective at providing cleaner air. It was also about the same as removing or putting on a hardhat. I believe it was the same gear under the helmet. I'm currently a fresh air sawyer to no worries for me yet.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Brad_bb

Yeah, I wouldn't want to go with one of the battery powered onboard filter systems cause I think with sawmilling they'd get plugged up too fast.  My fresh air pump would be remotely located  to guarantee fresh air source without dust.  You just have an air hose running from there to your waist to connect to the helmet's hose. 

The other point is to remove the restrictiveness of respirators and masks.  I have not used one of these helmet systems but they "look" easier to put on, and easier to breath and see with the open face area and large visor.

I'm kind of zeroing in on the 3M M-107 unit shown here with premium visor and face seal shown here
PPE Safety Solutions > 3M? Versaflo? M-Series Faceshields, Hardhats, and Helmets > 3M M-107 Versaflo Respiratory Faceshield Assembly, with Premium Visor and Faceseal 1 EA/Case

I just don't know anyone who has used one to give a good review.

sprucebunny

The helmet in your picture/link is very reasonably priced ! My full helmet with neck cuff was $600. The pump and hose were around $150. I did have to make my own adapter to the 3M connection....
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

YellowHammer

A little different direction, but what about fan forced positive airflow indoors?  I hate dust in my eyes and face as much as anyone, but I hate respirators, and the comfort and safety issues associated with them.  So we have installed a dust collector vacuum on the sawmill which removes 90% of the sawdust, and also low velocity fans that flow over me and my helpers when I'm sawing to create a prevailing breeze.  A little cool in the winter, but otherwise they work very effectively.  Fresh air is always blowing over me, and the respirable sawdust is blown out the other end of the shed.  The only way for me to get dusty or breathe dust is for the dust to swim upstream, which can't happen. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

loganworks2

I'm very new on the forum and do not have a mill so I don't really know how much dust is created when milling. I have been a reader of the forum for a number of years and appreciate the knowledge and insight of all of you. My plans are to purchase a Lt35 or Lt40 within the next 2 years.
I can see where YellowHammers approach would eliminate most of the problem and likely make the need for a respirator unnecessary. I do know that in my wood shop I do find one is needed at times. I was a firefighter and EMT for many years and did find that the positive pressure masks were not bad comfort wise. They also helped to cool. The cooling effect of the constant airflow of the air supplied mask is what makes it more appealing to me. It does not matter what PPE you have it only works if you use it.

tawilson

Heck I wear one every night and love it. It's a total face CPAP mask.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Resonator

If you do get a full helmet system, find out if clear replacement visors are available, and what they cost. My experience with full face shields in dusty enviroments, they become scratched easily (plastic), and become difficult to see through over time.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Brad_bb

Yellowhammer,
That would work pretty well in the summer, but the shop is heated in winter and  you'd be pulling warm air out of the building and cold air in. 

Loganworks2, Yes the cooling effect in summer would be real nice.  I get that effect in my paint booth hood in summer.

Resonator, I found that the 3m units have replaceable peel-off visor covers that are about $1 ea.

tawilson, do you have a model number and brand?  Interested in that outside of milling.

tawilson

It's a Fitlife Whole Face Mask. Started out with nasal pillows, then a full face mask till I got sick up the bags under my eyes from that so gave this a whirl.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

YellowHammer

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 18, 2018, 08:29:01 PM
Yellowhammer,
That would work pretty well in the summer, but the shop is heated in winter and  you'd be pulling warm air out of the building and cold air in. 

I have a 170,000 BTU diesel heater that keeps me and the employees toasty in the shop in the winter.  We lose more heat from the 20 foot doors opening and closing with pallets of wood coming in and out than we lose from the dust extractor. 

In the summer, I dial all the blowers to high and stay in a nice cool dust free breeze.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bosco

I have a full thick beard that does the filtering for me, for the eyes I squint and my ears are already shot. Just gotta watch fingers and toes !

Thank You Sponsors!