Sponsors:

What's Fair?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 07, 2014, 10:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on August 09, 2014, 07:04:36 PM
Magicman,change that to LFOG.   :D

Well look who finally showed up.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

thecfarm

Well!!! I'll just climb back into my hole.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Well since the ole goat has been kicked around enough ;D  what's he going to do?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Oh Im gonna put up a sign.
If I don't give a warning of what I will do....I will be branded as a Baaaaaaaaaaad man.

red oaks lumber

sorry guys, i don't see the big deal about logs/lumber getting dropped off without warning. my tolerance for this must be higher than most. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Cedarman

Red Oaks, I'm with you.  This problem ranks way low as far as problems go.  Very easy to deal with.  5 minutes or less with a loader and problem moved to out of the way.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Dave Shepard

You are both larger operations with plenty of real estate. Like I said earlier, my yard is tiny. My mill yard is 120'x140', with a 50'x70' void in one corner where there is a building. I can deal with log deliveries, but only with preparation. If the logs are nice logs, great, but what about the junk? Now you have to tell whomever brought the logs that they aren't worth sawing, or you have to dispose of them yourself if the owner never shows. I hate a lack of communication.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Fine if someone drops off logs and the next days calls,if you have the room.
But 9 months.  ::)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on August 10, 2014, 01:22:35 PM
Fine if someone drops off logs and the next days calls,if you have the room.
But 9 months.  ::)

Exactly Ray. Don't miss my point Y'all.....I've had logs dropped before and have been notified within 24 hours of who they belong too.....no problems at all........NO PROBLEM AT ALL RO  :) ......but 9 months??????
Yep....put a sign up and "NIP IT, NIP IT, NIP IT....IN THE BUD".

Logs are organized in my yard....don't mess it up!  boxingsmiley

Daver

I am not in the milling business but I would think something should be left with the drop off, either a note or a sign in sheet stating where and what was dropped off and when.. Along side should be your sign stating if not claimed after 30 days items will be subject to rental fees... $50 a month.. ;-)
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

Cedarman

A big zip lock bag with small zip lock bags, stubby pencils and a note pad, (be sure to tear the pages apart on the note pad or they might use the whole pad) and instruction sign  might help.  Notice I said might.  Paint can is good, but that might disappear.
I very much understand the lack of space.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

barbender

"Do not drop logs without prior authorization. It really gets my goat." ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Peter Drouin

Ya 4 days to find out who did it is not bad but, 9 months is over the top.  boxingsmiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 10, 2014, 05:50:20 PM
Ya 4 days to find out who did it is not bad but, 9 months is over the top.  boxingsmiley

:D :D :D You killing me Peter.  :D

goose63

Leave all the logs here you want to over thirty days wife wants a BIG 3 car garage  :D ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

tmarch

I run archery business and while I don't mark up my kids bows or setups I expect to be treated fairly.  I had a mother come in and order 2 full setups, I gave her a figure and she agreed so I ordered the setups.  6 months later she calls and wants to pick them up without a clue that I had 6 months interest and the grief of having to turn down other sales on those bows.  I changed my pricing at that point, lesson learned.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Jim H

I don't get too many drop offs, but several years ago a customer called and said he dropped a log off beside the barn and wanted it cut 2" thick as wide as I could get. So I go to the barn and cut up the nice cedar log that I find there. I call the guy back and tell him his cedar is ready, and he says "I dropped off a cherry". :o I went back and looked and found his cherry on the other side of the barn. I never did find out whose cedar that was, but wound up selling the lumber to someone else a bit later. Now I ask a few more questions before I start sawing :D.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Gideon_70

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 07, 2014, 10:56:27 PM
Last November......LAST NOVEMBER.....9 months ago.......I go to the mill and find 12 of the prettiest Red Oak logs. Everyone sawn 8'-6" with no taper.
I ask everybody I knew....make phone calls, etc. Everybody wanted them but they were honest and said the logs didn't belong to them.
The logs were dumped in the middle of the yard......so I moved them and blocked them up off the ground.

Time passed and passed.......until yesterday.

A guy comes to the mill in his car, parks and starts walking around the yard. I turn the mill off and walk out to talk to him.
He said.....There they are....the 12 logs I brought.
Before anything registered in my mind on how I was gonna reply......I pointed my finger at his face and told him he he ever pulled another stunt like that.....he would be charged with trespassing coming down here.

He turned white as a sheet. The bad thing is knows me....we have seen each other at lunch at the country store 82 times in the last 9 months and he never said a word. I don't know him but have seen him.

Short story long.....he wants the 12 logs sawn and is gonna bring 16 more.

I was gonna saw the logs for firewood and wished I had now.

Question? I'm gonna put up a sign that reads......Any logs dumped here without my knowledge and lay here for 3 weeks without notification......will be sawn and sold as my lumber.

Is 3 weeks fair? This just got my goat! (old saying ).
You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

Daver

Great sign Gideon..  What program did you use to make it?
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now your getting my attention! Good sign Gid.

red oaks lumber

sign shming, like i said before whats the big deal?
do you want customers to feel welcome or feel like they are inconveniencing you? believe me people  pickup quick to sensing when they arent welcome or their bothering you. ok if your wood lot is real small maybe but, again whats the big deal?
peoples schedule dont always work into our"8 -4" buisness hours so, if they have come from 100 miles they arent going home with it. :)
if anyone should get anoyed you would think i would cause it usally happens weekly, we just move to the side and wait for a call or someone to stop in.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You keep missing the point RO.......Communications vs. 9 months.  :)

red oaks lumber

who cares, do they drop off on your dinning table or in your bed? doudtful :) the communicaton isnt on you but, its you guys issue not mine so, i'll just mosie on over the hill and watch my bison ;D

Thank You Sponsors!