iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forest fire

Started by snowstorm, May 07, 2015, 09:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

There is a big one south west of Prince George BC that has been burning for two weeks. It is still only 65% contained, hot dry weather isn't helping. It's only going to get worse if we don't get rain.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Logger003

Yes rain is needed or were in for a rough year for fires

Logger003

I would like to thank our neighbors across Canada and the USA for sending men and equipment to fight the 100+ fires we have burning here in Saskatchewan. My hats off to the men,women and military for helping us in our time of need.

sawguy21

Apparently the smoke from Saskatchewan is reaching New Brunswick and Nebraska. It is bad here too, we have more than 150 burning across the province. The smoke nearly blotted out the sun in Vancouver Sunday and yesterday

clww

Almost unbelievable, but it has reached the coastline here in VA, too. Watched it being explained by the local TV weatherman last night. The smoke particles in the atmosphere makes for an extremely reddish sunset.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

grassfed

I have just recently heard reports like clww. Googled a story and they said 400,000 Hectares or close to one million acres!! Good luck to you folks. What kind of forests are burning? Are these mature or younger? Soft wood? I do not know much about the types forests in that area. Is this part of the drought that has hit California?
Mike

starmac

We have fires going everywhere and every direction. The smoke is thick enough, it is actually getting dark at night. Driving to prudhoe, I drove through 150 miles or so of thick, eye burning, hard to breath smoke. At times you have to slow to a crawl, as visibility is down to 50 feet or less. We have lots of fire crews here from everywhere working hard, but hopeing for some help from mother nature to get it under control.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Ford_man

I just read that there are 650 wild fires in Alaska currently burning.

Logger003

Here in Saskatchewan the fires are burning white spruce , black spruce, pine and popular mostly older trees. And to top it off they just found out that there dealing with an arsonist to. I hope they catch that guy. I've got my cat and both skidders fighting fire right now.

starmac

The paper claimed today, that we have had 3.1 million acres burned so far.
Some using the weather as a factor, are predicting we will pass the record of 6.6 million acres this year. I knew it was bad from my travels, but didn't realize it was this bad.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

BradMarks

We've got the start to a big one now.  Reported yesterday at 4pm.  Within 4 hrs size of fire estimated at 6000 acres. Could see the plume from my house, which is close to 70 crow fly miles north of the fire.  Created its own thunderstorm with dry lightning. Temps expected to be 105-108 today, almost impossible to fight fire.

Ron Scott

~Ron

sawguy21

We have a lot of beetle killed spruce and pine, hard to slow a fire down in that stuff. There is a lot of very dry grass on the forest floor, very little understory due to the hot, dry conditions and it's far from over. I have seen weather like this but not for such a long period, we have not had any appreciable rain since April.

Thank You Sponsors!