#9 American Persimmon Diospyros virginiana by WDH
#10 Arizona Madrone Arbutus arizonica by Giant Splinter
#11 Salt Cedar Tamarix pentandra by Giant Splinter
#12 Deodar Cedar Cedrus deodora by okrafarmer
#13 Mountain mahogany Cercocarpus montana by Giant Splinter
#14 Desert Ironwood Olneya tesota  by Giant Splinter
#15 Holly Leafed Buckthorn Rhamnus crocea by pabst79
#16 Hackberry Celtis occidentalis by WDH
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

Other than it is petrified wood, need a good pic of the end grain to go further. I have some petrified white pine that looks similar.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

giant splinter

I bet that would wipe out a blade very quickly.
roll with it

mesquite buckeye

Clue #1. Not petrified, just old. :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Clue #2, the highly sought after end grain. ;D

The image is magnified. The vertical distance is about 1/4" wide.

Let the guessing begin. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) smiley_bounce :snowfight1: smiley_gossip smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw dadgum you, Charlie! popcorn_smiley

ancjr

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on December 17, 2013, 09:44:18 PM
Maybe a juniper of some type.

Nor that. ;D dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowfight1:

WDH

It is probably some rare desert bush that only grows at one elevation in only a handful of counties at the place where the rainbow ends  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Not that either. ;D dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw popcorn_smiley

That is where the burn barrel lives. ;D 8) 8) 8)

mesquite buckeye

I'm having fun now. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

pabst79

Found in the woods? In what part of the the U.S?  :snowball:
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

giant splinter

roll with it

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Clue #3: Look again just below Clue #2. ;D laugh_at  :snowfight1: dadgum you, Charlie! popcorn_smiley

giant splinter

by the looks of the way it dried out it must be a Mesquite
roll with it

mesquite buckeye

Even more sadly, it is not that one also. :'(
dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! popcorn_smiley

mesquite buckeye

Being the unbelievably generous person that I am and in light of the season upon us, I am granting yet another fabulous clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clue #4: Not a member of the rogue's gallery of previous plants nor.......(drum roll)
Clue #5: a member of any of the previous genera. ;D

pabst79

How about Prunus pensylvanica, my preferred smell of pipe tobacco as well?  bat_smailey
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

mesquite buckeye

Nice try dude. No way Jose! ;D

dadgum you, Charlie! smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw boxingsmiley boxingsmiley boxingsmiley boxingsmiley smiley_biggrin01

giant splinter

looks like it may be a non-resinouse type perhaps, cedar is out as it was one of the already chosen and redwood might not exist in Arizona.
      scratching head say_what
roll with it

giant splinter

could this be one of the Pines, Bristlecone Pine?
roll with it

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Clue #5: I did not say the woods was in Arizona. ;D ;D ;D ;D :snowball:

giant splinter

Redwood old growth (giant sequoia)
roll with it

ancjr

mesquite buckeye

You a very bad guy, GS. smiley_eek_dropjaw  smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley

We have a winner. smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_bounce   smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping

Giant Sequoia, Sierra Redwood Sequoiadendron giganteum
Found this piece laying in a pile of rejects from an old shingle making operation in the national forest while walking to see the Boole Tree in 1996, probably from trees cut down between 1908 and 1912. The big clue is that there are about 70-80 rings/inch if you count them. Another clue would have been this is not a cut surface, but a shatter fracture, probably from when the tree was felled, very typical of sequoias, which had to be featherbedded when they were dropped to keep them from exploding when they landed. An old building in Sequoia Natl Park that  was built on the original timber claim in the 1850's or 60's (can't remember) has sequoia shakes still in good condition well over 100 years later. Too bad they don't seem to plant sequoias in the old forest. Almost all pines planted there now. Near the Boole Tree, lots of second growth sequoias seeded in, already 2-3 ft thick and 100 ft tall. I think they should be managing for sequoias there.

giant splinter

Your cross cut view showed the growth rings and I counted 19-20 in a quarter inch .... the growth rings where a very good clue and the typical fractures at the ring transitions helped give it away and are confirmed by the original photo :christmas: :new_year:
roll with it

ancjr

That was pretty quick.  Congratulations, GS  :D

mesquite buckeye

Dude is like a rat terrier in a corn crib. He has nailed it many a time. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

giant splinter

Its always a worthwhile quiz and a challenge that I wish more members would join in on.

Thanks Mesquite Buckeye, Ancjr and everyone involved.
roll with it

mesquite buckeye

Thank You Sponsors!