iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaska to Virginia is a GO !!!

Started by smwwoody, June 14, 2008, 09:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

Well it is on.  We will be leaving Alaska the end of July.  We will take the Ferry to Bellingham Washington.  Then from Bellingham we will drive to Gold Hill Virgina.  After we get to Gold hill we will drop off all of our stuff and head for north central Pennsylvania to visit family for a week then return to Gold Hill to go to work for FiremanED.

So far our route looks like I84 from Seattle to Salt Lake City  from there on I80 to Lincoln Nebraska.  Then on I29 Kansas City from there I70 to St. Louis.  then take I64 which will take us almost to gold hill. via Louisville, Lexington, and, Charleston.

It looks like we will be making a sight seeing and camping tour out of it.  Does anyone have any good places that we should see?  Or anyone want to meet for Coffee or Dinner along the way?

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Warbird

Wow.  Congrats to you, Woody.  I'm sad to see a fellow Alaskan FF'er leave but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

sawguy21

We are only an hour from Bellingham, well 2 1/2 with the wait at the border. :-[
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ronwood

Woody,

You might what to try the Arch in St. Louis.

Also congrats on your job with FiremanED. If I remembered right you worked for him before you went to Alaska.

Ron

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

smwwoody

Ronwood,

I was FiremanEd's sawyer on his LT300 for a little over a year.  Alaska was great.  It was a two and a half year adventure.  I was lucky and got to live one of my life long dreams.  Now it is time to get back to a place with roads and all that comes with them.  In alaska I lived remote with no roads and an hour float plane ride from town.  there are no stores of any kind here and only 4 homes.  Even when you get to town all the roads there stop at the edge of town.  remote Island life is a great way to live.  It is just time that we got back closer to family and friends. 

Eddie is a great guy and welcomes us back.  It will be good to get back to the forest industry.  I have been in it on a commercial level most of my life and it is to hard to get it out of your blood!  Due to zoning changes and new road weight limits I had to shut down my last mill in 2004.  I was at a total loss as to what to do.  I saw a post on here that FiremanED was looking for a full time sawyer.  I moved my family and myself to Virginia from Pennsylvania to work for Eddie.  That was the best move I ever made in my life.  Him and his family are Great! and I can't wait to get back to where I should have never left.

Thanks

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

Warbird,

Where you at in Fairbanks?  I have some friends in Central that I plan on spending some time with next summer.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

thecfarm

smwoody,I heard you say before you kinda regretted living your job in VA.I don't know what brought you to AK but YOU did it.You did something you wanted to do.That means alot to me in life.I have a place here I hope I never had to leave,family land,it means alot to me.But I try to do things in life that means alot to me and my wife.Be it buying something or just taking a day trip somewheres that my wife wants to go and I really don't.I'm doing a bunch of stuff for the wife that she has been after me to do for a couple years now.Life is too short to say I don't have time or I shouldn't do this and why.Probaly now you know why you should not of went to AK instead of wondering why you should not go.Good luck to you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Warthog

Congrat's on the big move!!  I must admit I am sorry to see you go, I was looking foward to seeing you next spring in AK on my fishing/hunting adventure...  Maybe you could part with a few "secret" honey holes now though?!? :D  Hopefully I can catch up with you sometime.

Warthog

Thank You Sponsors!