iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A whack of Leland cypress. With pics.

Started by customsawyer, February 08, 2012, 07:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I had a customer drop off his trailer with 9 Leland Cypress logs last week.

They were from 8" dia. to 2" dia. ;D and they produced 139 bf of lumber at 5/8" thick. There was 3 logs in the 2-3" dia. that I did not cut. Don't ask why but I could not clamp them. This is the lumber that I got from them.

I just thought that some of you new guys would like to know what you have to look forward to. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

red oaks lumber

you da man :D i knew why i listen to all your advice about sawing big timber, how do you do it jake? ;D i didn't know some of my customers had cosins in your part of america 8) 8)
now your just pattin your own back :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ianab

Sort of a "mini-whack" there  :D

They look even sillier lined up under a swingblade mill. At least you took care of them and they won't annoy anyone else  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

cypresskayaksllc

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

WDH

I don't feel so bad, now   ;D.  At least you did not tell him to come see me  :D.

I think that Ian has coined a new term, "mini-whack" :).  I have cut a few mini-whacks in my time  :-\.  I hope that you were not depending on payment from that job to buy supper, or you might have gone hungry  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

eastberkshirecustoms

That's a shame to see them laying down like that :(. I just planted some leylands for a privacy fence a couple of years ago and wish they were that big.

Magicman

All of those knots (limbs) and the name made me have to go to my tree book.  Quote: "Leland (Leyland) Cypress is a naturally occurring hybrid of Monterey Cypress and Alaska Cedar, and the qualities inherited from it's parents---the vigorous growth rate of the first and the adaptable durability of the second---have made this tree unbeatable as a hedge conifer."

The FF teaches you something every day.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

From the looks of them, they should stay hedge conifers  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Slingshot

Some of us sometimes get hold a few
highly valueable black walnut logs....

I had a nephew call the other day, said he had a neighbor that had some walnut
logs he wanted sawed up for his woodworking, been stored in a barn several years.
Of course I said bring em' on over. When He got there he said there was supposed
to be more, someone must have stolen most of them.

There were 2 like on the mill, 2 a little shorter, and 1 about 12inches by 7 feet. 8) 8)

Oh well, guess he can make some nice jewelry boxes.

metalspinner

Magiman,
Leyland cypress are very popular hear as a fence row.  "Neighborhood tree curtain" might be a better desciption. :D

We planted ours from one gallon pots with the trees only about 18" tall 6 years ago.  They are now about 30' high.  The diameter at the branch ends are only about 3' or so.  Aside from privacy, the trees help quiet the busy highway our home is located on.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

If you get low on lumber, you can saw some of them up!  It has been done before  :D.

Magicman

But only if you can find a Jake with a chainsaw to split them first.  Then they will fit on your sawmill.  Ooops, they would fall through your trailer decking.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

:D :D

I would say the DBH of my logs would be about 4".  Maybe I should say they are 12" in circumferance.  That makes 'em sound bigger, don't it.  Come to think of it, that's twice what some of  Customsawyers were. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

fishpharmer

Jake, I know your glad the customer didn't want the logs quarter sawn.

I got a load of Crepe Myrtle "logs" for you :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

James, you have been quiet lately.  Welcome back to the land of the living.   :)

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

LeeB

I had a paddy whack when I was young. Those rubber sticks really hurt when they wrap around your head.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

I've sawn some only a little bigger than that  :D

Built this simple computer desk, that Lil is still using today.

So yeah, if you can make a board out of it, you can use it.  ;)

Both of the parent species of the hybrid are good timber trees, so don't turn you nose up at Leyland logs if you come across some decent size ones.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

customsawyer

I am glad that the customer only wanted the 5/8" thick as it really helped with the bf count. You guys are funny. I have never had so many replies so fast on a topic. Me is starting to think there is a few smarty pants on here.
The lumber looked nice. It seemed to resemble ERC in that it had high number of knots and it seemed fairly dry.
I just didn't want you guys to think I only do the big logs.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jake thats some nice looking Cypress you got out of those logs  Mate :) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) I have not cut anything that small in years as we use to put it through the Kara Mill as it was pretty easy to get good posts outa quick  Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)   I just cut about 2200 bft of Monterey Cypress on monday smallest log was about 11" on the small end biggest was about 2' but there are logs upto three in that job as there is about another 5000bft to go  ;) just got to decide what into though Mate  ;) :D :D :D ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

customsawyer

When you are able to unload 9 logs by hand and not strain, you tend to not get excited. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

I've been told LC's can get up to 80 ft. tall or more. Never seen anything like that, but I've seen some that must be at least 50' or so around here. The big ones could be worth doing something with, but they sure will have knots. You know, 50 years from now, when those trees are all 4' in diameter, all the tree-take-down people will be charging thousands of rocks just to get rid of them, and some people will be milling them with swing mills then (if that's still legal by then)  ::)  And people will be making exquisite stuff out of it and looking for the best figure, and stuff like that.....   :D :D :D :D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

wannasaw

Hey Jake, I saw anything the coustumer wants this time(or two) cause I never know what he'll bring next time It's already been proven. I'd saw it right now if he brought it to me.
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

Sixacresand

Jake, Those are the size logs meant for me and my bad back. :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!