iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

661 vs. 395XP

Started by Dave Shepard, March 02, 2018, 08:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 04, 2018, 08:46:42 AM
Quote from: starmac on March 03, 2018, 10:01:09 PM
I bet you got top dollar for that 090 too. I am basically a husky guy and don't have a use for that size saw, but those 090's were a force to be reckoned with.
Yes those 090's were in a class all of their own. When you disable their governor they become another step up in performance.
I sold it with bars in  17", 36" and 60" with helper handle. Also 5 loops of Stihl 46RS, 46RSF and 46HM chain. Original owner's manual, brochure from Madsens, service manual , parts manual. Tools.
I can get you one of these, and you can really scratch the 070/090 itch...a birthday present?  ;D

US$ 223 - Complete Repair Parts For Stihl 070 090 Chainsaw Engine Motor Crankcase Crankshaft Cylinder Piston Chain Sprocket Cover Muffler Carburetor Handle Bar - www.huztl.net
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

Quote from: Spike60 on March 04, 2018, 09:59:38 AM
Some of this stuff is really starting to get silly.  :D  I mean come on, to say that "Husky has now copied Stihl's master control" is a down right comical stretch of reality. The Husky control is completely different from the Stihl control. Other than the fact that each of them have one control on the saw, there is absolutely no similarity between them. And only the Husky control has the "return to on" feature.  :)
Bob,  you need to get up to date  :D
Latest Husqvarna series (550, 562 , 572) now have a Stihl design master control switch. Only difference in reverse.
Yes the new series Stihls master control switch have auto 0n like on my MS261CM ll.
Not sure of the 572XP but the 550 562 etc still have the extra step setting the fast idle after starting from cold.
My MS261CM ll sets the fast idle automatically. Push switch down, pull cord , saw starts up on fast idle, blip throttle then goes to idle.  
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Spike60

Sorry Willard, but since you've become the online marketing director for Stihl Canada, some of your posts have become inaccurate and misleading. (Such as showing a pic of a Zama 346 carb to incorrectly state that 372's use a Chinese carb.) To refer to the Husky control switch as a "Stihl design" is hilarious. I suppose the first caveman to build a stone axe was also somehow pirating a Stihl design of some kind.

Senior members such as yourself that have been around for a while are looked up to as a source of accurate information. People in the saw community often ask our advice, and place a lot of trust in what we have to say. Thousands of people read our posts, or watch those videos that Walt and I do. Along with that reality, at least in my opinion, comes a greater responsibility to get it right.

You used to have that cred yourself; as good as anyone on any of these sites. But for whatever reason, a rather obvious bias has emerged over the past year or so, and IMO has greatly tarnished the contribution you are capable of making here.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

weimedog

Quote from: Southside logger on March 03, 2018, 09:57:13 PM
@Dave Shepard just go with this model and put the whole chainsaw debate to rest once and for all.  

Jetsaw Project - YouTube
THATS some folks with serious skills and engineering. Really cool. wonder how long that plastic will survive with all that heat! Awesome concept & conversation piece.......who knows, another mini turbo jet powered mini generator with electric motor so there is throttle control?
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

teakwood

Quote from: Jeff on March 04, 2018, 04:42:56 PM
popcorn_smiley smiley_gossip  smiley_whip whiteflag_smiley
 Wow, nice to see (once a year) our leader be prepared to enjoy the theater!!  Normally he is on the other side calming down  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

Quote from: Spike60 on March 04, 2018, 04:13:30 PMand IMO has greatly tarnished the contribution you are capable of making here.

I think that's a pretty harsh statement! Willard is a very valued senior member and has helped a lot of less experienced members, including me!
his 40 years of chainsaw experience is priceless for this forum and their members.
my 2 cents

ZeroJunk

There again, I can't see where how the controls work makes a hill of beans difference. Back to on might save you 1/10 of a second. Same with a separate choke or master control.

weimedog

Quote from: ZeroJunk on March 04, 2018, 05:45:12 PM
There again, I can't see where how the controls work makes a hill of beans difference. Back to on might save you 1/10 of a second. Same with a separate choke or master control.
Agree, those type of details aren't a "buy sell issue", we all learn to operate what is in front of us, and who cares who invented what at that level? The saw works or not, lasts or not. Ran a lot of old designs and enjoyed them just as much as the new ones. And still get great productivity out of the old, out dated 254's and 242...they have the simplest set up ever. So other than a cursory explanation, why go to the next level regardless if its true or false? I certainly don't need a non stop sales job over piddly stuff and don't need a non stop tirade of petty brand bashing either. Speaking for myself, I look to the more senior members for saw craft and saw experience. And this site has some excellent skill and knowledge sets available. One of the best web sites on the INTERNET in my most humble opinion.

As for the return to on...I like a positive & if possible separate "Off" switch. Although not having one wouldn't keep me from a saw choice, I have 562's and their jumbled multi function stuff. I learned to deal with it, same as my 660's. Maybe from the motorsports world, when things are going sideways, being able to positively get to "off" and release can be a good thing. Even if there is a dropped saw and damage where the saw is over reving or having other similar issues ...I want to turn it off, not hang onto a kill switch until it stops because there is a failure in the mechanism. Remember firearms training? A safety is a mechanical device that can fail? Also I Remember the Redmax inspired 543 and its switch as compared to others. BUT every one has a preference. Thats why there are different brands and models..:) AND the ultimate is the electric saws....best of both worlds in some regards. JUST an opinion, nothing more...:) I want a 5hp 14lbs electric saw with at least a 1/2 hr run time on a battery. And battery that cost less than 100 bucks! So I can carry them like I would a can of gas....

starmac

X2 on the electric, and I bet they are on the horizon, well maybe not the 100 dollar battery part, but I feel the saws are coming, going by the progress made the last few years on rechargable tools.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

HolmenTree

Sorry I got everyone riled up :D
. This I promise is my last post on this thread. I'll leave it at that. :)

Now everyone take a deep breath and re read OP Dave's first post. Who is the troll? :D
Now seeing the chainsaw is a technology evolving "hand" held power tool.  Making tasks easier for the endusers "hands" through improved design whether he is a professional or just a casual user is always a good thing.

Now to Spike60 I am not attacking you or Husqvarna . I only originally responded to OP Dave's original post, then from there it naturally blossomed  into a great debate.

But you have to get your information straight on what I said on another thread weeks ago.
I did not say the 372XP had a Chinese Zama  carb. Only my 346XP had a Zama Chinese carb and I listed other Husqvarna models including some other latest XP models.
Someone did reply later "Well at least the 372Xp is not on that list.
I understand you're in defence mode right now. But as I said before I did not intend it to be that way.

I just answer and tell historical facts for what they are. :)

Dave Shepard

It would appear you did not read my OP before you made your first post. ;) You clearly state you have never used an MS661, then go on to bash Husky at length. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

realzed

::) :-*  8) :D :new_year:

Spike60

Well it's not my last post, cause as you say, I'm "riled up". Maybe I'll calm down tomorrow, but since I'm still wound up, let's have a little more fun..............

Clearly was stated in the other thread that "Husky XP carbs are China made". You wrote it; try to remember it acurately.

And in this thread: "Husqvarna even tried to copy the flippy caps, but couldn't get it right."

Really? I suppose "getting it right" would include things like coming up with several different caps that don't interchange with each other. And re-designing all of the fuel tanks with different threads so that caps could not be interchanged between newer and older saws.

Yup, Husky sure screwed up by designing a fuel cap that someone could use on older saws or even long discontinued models like a 288 or 2100 if they liked it.

And I'm sure disappointed that I don't have to stock a dozen or more different fuel tanks to accomodate all of those "Rubik's Cube" fuel caps. And my customers are totally disillusioned by the fact that when they come in and ask for a fuel cap, that I can actually give them one, in say about 5 seconds. They would much rather be annoyed by answering silly questions about which fuel cap will fit their saw and when it was bulit and then be over charged for it. Yeah, Husky sure didn't get the flippy caps right, did they.  :)

I am now going to calm down.   :laugh:
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Jeff

Sounds like a real good idea. Otherwise, take it to the parking lot.

Spike60

Recieved and understood Jeff.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Jeff

smoked

I also think the confidence you have in the dealer is important.  I was looking for a 90ish cc saw for hobby chainsaw milling.  The only husky dealer really close to me did not have any big saws in stock, would not come off MSRP and did not call me back when I had a foll-up question.  I was ready to buy.  

I went to the stihl shop.  They had a 661 set up exactly how I wanted it on the shelf, gave me a nice discount and threw in a couple of cool hats to boot.:D  They also gave me a 2 year warranty which some dealers buck on any pro saw.   I have been very happy with it so far.

Honestly,   
Hobby woodworker/wood burner
If I screw something up, it is free heat next winter:-)

Southside

Dealer satisfaction is huge.  I used to have both Husky and a 660 for my big stuff.  For whatever reason the 660 gave me a lot of trouble, we just did not get along.  It was at the dealer a lot, tweak this, change that, etc.  After he tuned it for me, and told me to run AV gas in it as my regular pump gas was supposedly my problem, she scored the jug and piston, I was done with the dealer after that, fixed it myself and it became a back up saw.  

Well one day my Husky was not running well so I tried to adjust the carb and managed to get it way out of adjustment.  Brought it to the closest small engine shop.  They told me the saw was junk and not worth fixing, had 10 psi of compression.  I knew this was wrong and found a Husky dealer about 15 more miles up the road.  Told the guys the whole story about how I know it runs good and that I was the dummy who messed the adjustment up on the carb.  They took the saw and called me the next day, said the saw was fixed, new plug, new air filter, and tuned it.  The bill was something like $15  . I have since bought two new 372's from this dealer and a whole lot of chain, bars, etc.  Dealer satisfaction makes all the difference.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

weimedog

I've seen evidence first hand and also heard stories like the last two posts. AND firmly believe that instead of bickering over a feature here and another there, the support ultimately plays a large part in the success of a saw from any of the major brands. I suspect if a person digs into the animus towards a brand by a person with experience with both over a long period of time.....that interaction with a particular brand through dealers plays a bigger role than anyone would like to admit. Its way easier to argue over specs and features. :)

AdkStihl

What I find hilarious is that there are people out there that dont know how a master control switch works....... :-X
J.Miller Photography

HolmenTree

Quote from: AdkStihl on March 18, 2018, 12:07:38 PM
What I find hilarious is that there are people out there that dont know how a master control switch works....... :-X
Yes some people are all thumbs even though Stihl designed it to be operated just with the thumb, with a  grip on the rear handle.
Here's the "Combi-Lever" introduction in February 1977. Notice the plain English on the cover..... :D

HolmenTree

To add to the last post from the 1977 article. 
I like this comment. :)

teakwood

Like the side chain tensioner 

Spike60

Well, there's the proof right there in black and white. Clrearly, the control switch on a 562XP was copied from that 40 year old Stihl design. I mean just look at that picture! How could I continue to argue that point in the face of such indisputeable evidence? I should not under estimate their engineering prowess. .

In fact last week I read a study that many historians are reasonably convinced that Andreaus Stihl actually wrote all of those plays normally attributed to Shakespeare.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!