iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mineral Stained Poplar

Started by Beavertooth, June 11, 2018, 03:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavertooth

Got a call this morning from a guy wanting to buy some Mineral Stained or Rainbow Poplar also some Black Willow. He is needing it cut 9/4 thick and basically any width. Wanting about 250bf of each. If anybody has any or can cut any pleas let me know.  Thanks
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Upstatewoodchuc

Those are some interesting requests, I'm curious what he's using those for?
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

Southside

I usually find it growing with wet feet, flood plain type areas, the silty soil seems to let the tree bring up a lot more mineral.  The good news is that most mills knock down the grade when poplar shows mineral stain so you should be able to get some for a better than normal price in the log.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

I've never seen the color in poplar last.

YellowHammer

Mineral stained poplar is one of our best sellers in 8/4, live edge stock.  It dries easily and straight.  As said, the bright colors will fade if exposed to UV light, and even with a properly shielded UV blocking finish, the reds will fade, but the majority of the dark colors, the purples, blues, blacks etc will stay rich and even deepen over time.  After a few years, they will darken but the contrasting streaks will remain and look beautiful.  It starts to look like a streaked walnut.

We try to educate our customers on the fading and darkening issue, and there are UV blocking coatings that will filter enough UV and oxidation where we have had customers who bought some pieces a couple years ago who still say their mantels still look beautiful.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I saw a good bit of Poplar.
YH is exactly right.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

xlogger

I saw a rainbow poplar awhile back into live edge and it when fast. Didn't know what I had till I saw it. Now trying to remember how to tell by the saw cut if they are rainbow. Don't really remember, anyone take a pic before you saw one?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

YellowHammer

The heart will be a deep blue and black as viewed from the end. Sometimes it won't be the full heart that's stained, maybe half to 3/4's.  That's how I get my rainbow and mineralized poplar logs, hand picking them from big piles of conventional poplar logs.  It's pretty easy to spot, once you get the hang of it.  Some of the best are almost jet black heart, and look like black flame when sawn.  I'll take some pics.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Beavertooth

The guy is wanting it to make turkey calls. His web site is paulscalls.com.  He is in Collinsville Ms. He has to get his lumber from someone who will cut it 9/4. He uses other types of wood also. Might be a sale for someone sometime if anybody wants to call him and tell him what you have or may can get. His name is Albert Paul
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

alan gage

Quote from: Beavertooth on June 12, 2018, 11:35:50 AM
The guy is wanting it to make turkey calls. His web site is paulscalls.com.  He is in Collinsville Ms. He has to get his lumber from someone who will cut it 9/4. He uses other types of wood also. Might be a sale for someone sometime if anybody wants to call him and tell him what you have or may can get. His name is Albert Paul
Probably best to give out numbers via private message. No telling who or what might pick up that information on an open forum.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Ron Wenrich

I turned a pen using rainbow poplar.  I kept it in the deep freeze, which allowed it to keep the color.  After it was turned, it was sealed.  There was no oxidation.

I've found most was in poplar that was damaged.  Logging damage is often a problem, especially in the spring of the year.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Slingshot

I sawed this poplar last year. It had been laying on the ground for about
three years and was still solid inside. Made some 2inch thick slabs and
a couple 5/4. Made a small table couple months ago and it is still black
in the center.

YellowHammer

That table looks really nice.

Here's some of my our rainbow or mineralized poplar logs as well as some of the dried 8/4 live edge slabs.  We sell quite a few.

YellowHammerisms:

Darrel

That's purdy stuff YellowHammer. I wonder if any of the poplar that grows in these parts is stained like that. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ron Wenrich

What I think of as rainbow poplar is the ones that have a purple to bright blue color.  The black stuff is fairly common and quite often dries out as shake.  The purple and blues often oxidizes  to brown.  The purple/blue has to do with soil potassium, and that's what I've found in damaged trees.

You'll also find some that have black streaks that are associated with the Columbian beetle.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

xlogger

I wish I would of paid more attention to the one I had. So do you see the purple and blue on the chainsaw cut?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

ljmathias

Here's a good news-bad news follow on. My neighbor didn't know I had a sawmil (he lives couple miles away and my mill is not visible from any road). He had a huge yellow poplar in his front yard that had to come down. Had a crew come in and take it down, haul off most of it without my knowledge. All they left was a five-foot long chunk of the very bottom of the trunk.

Did I say it was old? And big? Probably 45" in diameter? Well, he gave me the log when I saw it laying in his front yard, and I cried all the way home thinking about the 100' of trunk that I didn't get. It just got worse as I sliced and diced that remnant of what was a majestic tree.

After I'd whittled it down enough to make boards, I realized that the entire log was purple or dark brown, edge to edge and almost no sapwood. Not being totally stupid (ok, the wife may have a different opinion but she's not on here) I decided to make 8/4 slabs out of it. My gosh, but they turned out to be some of the most beautiful lumber I've ever sawn: I cried again about all of the rest of that tree that I could've had for free but didn't get...

Anyway, made my wife a desk out of some of it and it's even more beautiful finished and with a clear coat polyurethane on it. I've got the rest squirreled away for when I need to make something totally unique with lumber that no one else has.

And by that, I mean it's like the darkest parts of the boards pictured above but uniform all the way through a 20-30" wide slab 2" thick but only five feet long. As the old saying goes: "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away and sometimes He gives you just enough..."

lJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!