iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

National Oldest Tree Register

Started by Ron Scott, March 06, 2001, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

The National Forestry Association recently announced the formation of the NATIONAL OLDEST TREE REGISTER. The Register is patterned after AMERICAN FORESTS Big Tree Register, except that the criteria is age, not size (which can be quite different). The initial search is for the oldest tree in each state (any species). Nominations, including landowner information, may be submitted via the soon-to-activate (oldesttree.org). NFA will then make verification.
~Ron

Jeff

I take it that they core sample these trees to determine age?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

I would assume so. There will be more information coming out on this. This is some advance notice.
~Ron

Tom

I wonder what has become of this project?

biziedizie

Hey Jeff can you explain to me how a core sample is done. I've never heard of it but then again there's alot of things that I've never heard of! :D I'm a newbie to the forest and I'm finding it all very interesting. :)

Steve

Frank_Pender

It is device that is shaped like a drill bit and is hollow in the center for its entire length.   The boring end is threaded for a distance of about 1".  The other end is squared off for about 1" also.  Between the two ends the boring device is all round.  When you take a sample you place the squared end of the bore in the center of the "handle" for turning into the tree.  In the middle of the hand there is a square hole for the bore to be placed with a latch device (on mine) that holds the square end in place while you are entering the tree for a "core" sample.   There are various lenths of bore devices.  Mine takes a sample of 12 inches.  Some are as much as 18" or more.  My bore is approximatley 5/16" in diam..  
As you turn the bore into the tree you have to be careful as not to place tooooo much torque on the handle and either twist the bore or break it off.  When you have reached the limit of the bore you then take a third part of the unit and slip it into the hollow of the bore.  This can be a very tricky part of the whole process.  This third device is a very thin piece of metal tube like device that has had half of the tube removed.  The end that enters the tube is chamfered and sharp for penetrating the wood.  The other end has been pressed onto a small round head thread, usually with a small swing hook for hanging on a hook for storage or for security in your cruise jacket.  Once you have pushed the half tube all the way through the hollow bore you then begin a third tricky step and reverse the boring unit very carefully as to not twist the bore or breaking it off inside the tree.  When you have the entire bore backed out of the tree you slowly slide the half tube from the main bore unit.  You should be able to then count the rings you have removed from the tree.  

If some others feel have left anything out,have at it.   ???
Frank Pender

biziedizie

Now that's a pretty cool way to count the rings of a tree. Here I was thinking that a great big hole was going to be in the tree and it turns out that it's just a little one!
  Thanks for explaining that Frank_Pender

Steve

Frank_Pender

You are welcome, Steve.  Now if I was really good with these here machines I could draw a tree, create a picture of a bore and have the two meet one another, as well as pull back out of the tree and show you the rings.   However, I am not that tricky with these machines, hence the long explaination.  Hope I did not take away anything you had planned to say or do, Jeff. ???
By the way, the Increment Bore I have was a gift from one of the most highely respected Foresters in my area.  He simpl;y called me about 3 years ago and asked me to stop by the next time I was in his neighborhood.   I went right there that day.  He said, I have something for you," and went into the house and returned with the bore.   I just stood there with tears running down my face and not a word on my lips. :'(
Frank Pender

Tillaway

Hey Frank,
You know that last little bit that of core that seems to remain in the end.  I usally bore in, insert extractor, back out about a turn or two, then crank back in until I see the extractor just move.  The core just slides right out most of the time without a fight.

Remember to not drill the compression side of the tree, you will have a very stuck core.  I have a long drill bit to drill the offending core out.  Cooking them in the oven works sometimes.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Ron Scott

Don't know what the status of this project is. Will try to find out. Maybe no tree nominations yet?? I don't see any thing listed on their web page at www.oldesttree.org

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!