iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calling all the electric generator experts.

Started by alsayyed, October 22, 2007, 01:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Hello fellows. I have received the Northen tools catalog and I have seen some good electric engine generator like Briggs & Stratton. I am thinking to build my own generator because I have a new generator made china it is cheap but it is awful product it gives me too much pain and headach. So I need some advice when it comes to build generator or I mean by set each unite by it self and put them together.
The power I want is 5kw. I do not know what engine to pick and how I decide what dynamo that goes with 5kv engine the other accessories I can get I can get from some where else.
Most engines have rating by HP but do not mention how many KW.
Could any body recommend which engine will be good for generator and what is the best dynamo?
The engine I am interested in is electronic start I mean with key,
I appreciate your help in this matter.

beenthere

Alsayyed
If I read your question right, then get 2 hp for each kw,
so 10hp engine for 5kw generator.

There are some sites found in a Google search under hp kw converter.
One such site is http://www.macgen.com/calcul.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Slabs

Do you want a:
        Emergency generator?
        Standby generator?
        Sole source generator?
        Mulitple output energy source? (electric, air, pump, heat source etc)

5kw sounds like emergency or standby.  When you consider the cost of parts and assembly you might consider a commercially available unit that is so common over here in the "hurricane belt".  Mine has Briggs and Stratton on the label and comes with a new overhead valve engine and long-run fuel tank and is easily rolled out of storage after the wind and rain subside.  I've been thinking along the lines of a "housepower" unit that constitutes more than a generator that would be a multiple output energy source.  That's something that would have to be custom built.  A 5kw "putt-putt" is more economical as a manufactured unit.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Jeff

I wont ever buy anything from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company due to the fact that they make cheap knockoffs of tools that are to good for them and that they cant get via legitimate means.  Namely tools made by some of my (our) most favorite people.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

In the bigger generators (diesel) you will find that there is 1.34 HP per KW. The Fairbanks-Morse generators where I used to work were 1200KW-1600HP.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Slabs

Jeff

Not only will not ever buy from Northern Hydraulics again but I intend to blackball them for the shabby treatment I received from them with their  "Hotline" program.  They failed to honor a cupon on a large-dollar order and failed to honor the "free-shipping" feature on another order.

I hope nobody else has had similar problems but I could not, in good consience, recommend them as a vendor even though they have some items hard to find elsewhere.  I'll just do without or pay a (slightly higher) price.

alsayyed, I failed to notice that you were considering ordering a motor from N H as I quickly read your post.  May I recommend "Small Engine Warehouse" if you're considering ordering from the states.

Moreover, if anyone is considering purchasing a "generator blank", please consider VOLTMASTER direct.  Most of their items are free shipping and many are priced lower than their vendors.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!