iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on August 16, 2019, 09:18:14 AM
That heavy stuff will work the tail off of a tailgunner Pete.

I am doing sorta OK Brandi.  No bother with the wound, but this heat is brutal.  

I am marking and bucking this morning, but I have not seen my tailgunner yet.  This may be a short day.
Have a good day Lynn and stay hydrated.
So far what I have sawn, was without a tail gunner.  Once I get sawing, I move my 29 foot gooseneck in beside the loader arms and stack and sticker the boards.  Then when finished sawing, I just fork them onto the customer's trailer.  The 7x7x16 foot beams, I chain under the grapple and move them to the trailer.
I welded a receiver tube to my grapple so I can move the gooseneck without swapping between the grapple and loader bucket to move the trailer.

Makes it easy fetching logs or moving the trailer now.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

No, they would not make utility poles (telephone) because they are much too small plus they are Sweetgum.  Under crowded growing conditions they are all "reaching for the sky" and grow tall and skinny with very small diameters.  Not good for anything much other than pulp.  If they are larger diameter they will make RR Ties.  In my instance I am making one timber per log with a centered pith and they are remaining stable.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

MM - are you seeing much face checking on the gum timbers you sawed earlier?  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on August 16, 2019, 10:36:31 AM
No, they would not make utility poles (telephone) because they are much too small plus they are Sweetgum.  Under crowded growing conditions they are all "reaching for the sky" and grow tall and skinny with very small diameters.  Not good for anything much other than pulp.  If they are larger diameter they will make RR Ties.  In my instance I am making one timber per log with a centered pith and they are remaining stable.
Oh...........sweetgum.  The most twisted grain I have ever seen or tried to split.  So if you center the pith, they tend to stay straightish?  I got lots of them, but they are big shade trees.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

Quote from: Southside on August 16, 2019, 10:47:21 AM
MM - are you seeing much face checking on the gum timbers you sawed earlier?  
Absolutely, let's just say that the timbers have much "character".  ;D
I could have taken a picture today but will do so next week.  The Oaks are badly checked and I believe that the Sweetgum is worse.  Checked but remaining straight.
I didn't saw any Sweetgum this week, but there are probably ~8 trees marked and ready for bucking next week.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

E-Tex

Two customers dropped off a mixed-bag of logs.  Red Oak, White Oak, Water Oak, and ERC.  Hope to mill one afternoon this week!

have 6 mobile trips lined up for September, including a 2-3 day trip to Louisiana.....taking the truck camper (my favorite saw trips!).  I love the part-time gig!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

I made my 230 mile return trip, am settled in at the hotel, and am ready for the sand pit again this week.  Hopefully it will not be so brutally HOT.  :-\

Crossroads

Quote from: Bindian on August 16, 2019, 09:58:21 AM
Quote from: Magicman on August 16, 2019, 09:18:14 AM
That heavy stuff will work the tail off of a tailgunner Pete.

I am doing sorta OK Brandi.  No bother with the wound, but this heat is brutal.  

I am marking and bucking this morning, but I have not seen my tailgunner yet.  This may be a short day.
Have a good day Lynn and stay hydrated.
So far what I have sawn, was without a tail gunner.  Once I get sawing, I move my 29 foot gooseneck in beside the loader arms and stack and sticker the boards.  Then when finished sawing, I just fork them onto the customer's trailer.  The 7x7x16 foot beams, I chain under the grapple and move them to the trailer.
I welded a receiver tube to my grapple so I can move the gooseneck without swapping between the grapple and loader bucket to move the trailer.

Makes it easy fetching logs or moving the trailer now.
hugs,  Brandi
I like that hitch!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

TimW

Quote from: Crossroads on August 18, 2019, 11:29:07 PM

I like that hitch!
Thanks Crossroads@  I have had one on my loader bucket for 12 years.  Now I can don't have to leave the tractor seat as often.  Saving steps.  It's all about saying steps.
hugs,  Brandi

Dave Shepard

A little custom sawing this weekend. Joists and timbers, with a little side lumber. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

My customer's building project here is huge.  The initial plan was  for 70 housing units.  Some are occupied and there are 20+ in various stages of construction.  Different builders contract to build 1-2, etc, at the time from the ground up with my customer providing all of the building materials.  This means that there is a certain amount of competition for the timbers that I am sawing.  It's kinda first come first serve, but I am constantly being questioned about when certain dimension timbers will be available.  I am simply sawing trees/logs as they have been brought up.

Well today one builder was wanting 4"X 6" timbers.  Sadly another crew had taken them all so he was wanting to know "when"?  I told him that the only way that I would put him ahead would be if he could whip me in an arm wrestle.  Well the match was set and the two contestants squared off.

I think that he cheated because no way could he put me down that easily.  Anyway I then challenged him to the best two out of three.

Now I know that something underhanded was going on because he called in reinforcements:

His wife !!!  Well a deal is a deal and even though I still feel that I was taken unfair advantage of, he got his timbers.

Ruffgear

Dang that is odd🤔, that they beat you that is.. they maybe had the wind at there back? Or the sun was in your eyes?

Crossroads

Way to make work fun again....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Darrel

Thanks for sending Smiles Magicman. 
:) :) :)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Southside

That was nice of you to let them win, I bet he never would have tried had he known you were just back from Alaska wrestling bears and have the scars to prove it.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Actually that guy is a "Cage Fighter".   He told me up front that he doesn't loose and would never just let anyone beat him no matter what !!    :o

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jim_Rogers

Last week I tried to get a timber out of a log that had a big rot hole in the end.
When I sawed it open it had a big ant nest in the middle of it.
I did manage to get some pieces from it for a customer by cutting off the ant nest end.
Today, I listed the ant end slab for sale to make a glow table top.

<br
>
it is 1 3/8" thick x 24" wide and 5' long.

here is a link to the video showing how to make a glow table:

Glow in the dark Epoxy Resin End Table DIY - YouTube

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on August 20, 2019, 07:53:17 AM
Actually that guy is a "Cage Fighter".   He told me up front that he doesn't loose and would never just let anyone beat him no matter what !!    :o
Lynn,
  Awesome way to let the customer think he is in control!  Next time, challenge him to a snowball fight. :snowball:
hugs,  Brandi

Magicman

Today was hot & dusty but we still made production. 

I am liking this Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener.  :)

This has gotta be cruel.  Sawing a Sweetgum log and it ain't even dead yet.   :o

But this ain't Sweetgum.   :o  Some of you will recognize it.   :-X

The "forwarder" bringing more tree length logs.

And then the "skidder" bringing up a pecker pole that made five 11' logs.

These showed up today.  So far I am not gaining on the log whack.

So I just went to the Mexican joint and treated myself to broiled flounder and shrimp.  ;D

WDH

I thought I saw a smiley_devil.  I did, I did saw a smiley_devil.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

And I sawed dat  smiley_devil  dat you saw.  Made a 4"X 6" out of it.  ;D

The Turbo 7° blades continue to produce no matter what I stick them in.   smiley_thumbsup

WDH

After working as hard as you do in this heat, you need some good vittles. 

caveman

Looks like a southern red oak in the whack.  I am glad you are getting satisfaction with your turbos.  How thick of a band are you running?  After an alignment, belt tensioning, brand new .045 turbo band run smack into the idle side cover that I installed incorrectly and then another brand new turbo 7 on the first cut, I get this- Consternation.

Magicman, I thought you were going to be booked up until this infernal summer was over.  You have a good gig going.  I am guessing that you got a new appreciation for humid air once you returned from Alaska.
Caveman

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Magicman on August 20, 2019, 07:36:27 PM
Today was hot & dusty but we still made production.  

I am liking this Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener.  :)
I like your little sharpening jig MM. I think you had another photo of it up a while back but it didn't catch my eye because I don't work out of a truck...mostly... But I recently started doing some cutting elsewhere and trying to sharpen the saw on a plastic tailgate is like trying to give a street cat a bath. I have a stump vice, never used it, now I believe I just might. I don't use a timberline, to each his own, I use a Husky roller guide. Either way, this should work just fine. Now if I just knew where to find some sort of plank or board or something......  ;D :D 8) :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!