iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: 029 from ebay

Started by Mark M, March 11, 2004, 08:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Good deal Wiam!

I won the bid on an 011 today. Hope it turns out OK.

wiam

Bought a Stihl 029 on ebay last weekend.  Got it today.  It was listed as a parts saw missing muffler and bar and chain.  I got it for a parts saw because I needed handles for mine.  Put my muffler on it and some gas and it sounds good. 8) 8)  So I put my bar and chain on it and it cuts good too.  ;D  What a deal.

William

Frickman

Good deal wiam! I've been looking around for a parts saw too, an 044. Haven't found one yet at the right price so I guess I'll keep looking.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Tom

That's kinda like the old joke of Jacking up the gas cap and running another car under it. :D

I guess parts is parts.......as that old chicken advertisement used to say. :D :D

redpowerd

wadja pay? i been trying to get a rear handle on the cheap for my 029.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

tony_marks

now u can clean her up ,sell it on ebay as a runner and pocket the profit. but then whall u do for pts.. :)

Mark M

Hi Red,

Somebody on eBay had about a dozen Stihl handles for sale. If you can't fine them let me know and I'll help you look.

Mark

redpowerd

im watching one now, i dont want to pay 100 bucks for a handle when i may be able to get a whole junk saw for that.
as of now im just lookin ;)
ill jump on one if it looks like i can get it cheap.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

wiam

$120 plus shipping.
My problem is I still need a parts saw to get a handle for my first one.

William

SasquatchMan

Wiam, wait a coupla months and I'll probably drop a tree on mine, then we can deal. ;D
Senior Member?  That's funny.

wiam

VK540_1

How do guys like your 029. I have one, but lacks power, bogs out a lot under load.

redpowerd

too heavy, if a saws gunna weigh 15 pounds, it should cut like a 044. i have a 16 inch bar on mine, keeping the chain SHARP, it will still bog down.
its good to have on hand, but id be upset to have to use it every day.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

wiam

Yah,  what he said (Red).  It is ok but I would not buy a new one.

William

SasquatchMan

I have a MS290 and I like it fine.  It's a tad heavy, especially for all day use, but I haven't had any power issues, but then I'm not cutting particularly big wood, or very much hardwood either.  I think it's a pretty good deal in terms of a firewood sort of machine, and I'm happy with mine because I'm a firewood cutter and deck demo man, so the 290 suits me.
I don't think my 290 would run a 20" bar very well, and Stihl is probably not doing anyone a favor claiming this saw can handle that kind of thing...

redpowerd

i wear a 20" bar on mrine for felling big uns, ifin my larger saws are dead. dosent cut too bad, bit underpowerd when taking out a notch. again, i like the 16" for a nice fit. an 18" bar balances the saw nicer.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Kevin

QuoteI have one, but lacks power, bogs out a lot under load.

What are the depth gauge or rakers filed at?

SasquatchMan

Kevin, I was going to ask the same thing... my saw hasn't bogged down except when I cut a hinge a little too thin on the last tree of the day a few weeks ago, and then for some reason or another the saw just plain stopped and on top of that it seemed to be stuck in the cut too!!   ;)

Kevin

I fought with a couple of small balsm the other day.
I could have climbed them and taken the tops down or put a rope on them and pull them over but it was late in the day and I was tired so I tried taking the easy way out and just cut them.
The upper branches were caught in the strand and cable so I made sure I had a wedge before starting but the wedge wasn't enough and they didn't give up without a fight.

SasquatchMan

The "easy way" looks pretty good if you've already burned 4000 calories that day humpin lumber...

Oregon_Rob

QuoteI fought with a couple of small balsm the other day.
I could have climbed them and taken the tops down or put a rope on them and pull them over but it was late in the day and I was tired so I tried taking the easy way out and just cut them.
The upper branches were caught in the strand and cable so I made sure I had a wedge before starting but the wedge wasn't enough and they didn't give up without a fight.

I recently had a similar experience with a maple (22" dbh) that had a side and back lean. The back lean was over a pretty good drop into a creek bottom. Well I got her wedged up to pretty close to 0 back lean and flat ran out of wedges. I tried making some wood ones, but just couldn't get her over and didn't want to leave her in that state while I went for more. I ended up letting her go to the side and she took out a 4" fir, but I didn't have to yard her out of the "valley so low".

Chainsaw Nerd

redpowerd

i wedged a 24" ash over yesterday perpendicular to the wind, with the lean against it. i think there was an article in s+w about 'wisley using wedges',
well i gave it a try, plunging four inches or so behind the notch, all the way thru the tree, allmost all the way to the back. i wedged both sides to relieve the tension on the back. started the saw up again, i noticed the difficult part was cutting the back out of the felling cut, lining up both ends of the plunge cut. managed to get daylight all the way thru, replacing the saw with a wedge. i put it in on the leeward side and musta beat the top of the tree a good three feet away from the lean. so i doubled up on wedges away from the wind, and popped the one in the back a couple of times and she went over, ready to be yanked out with the magnum.

it took mabie ten minutes longer, just to see the tree fall without the saw runnin. but, i dont think i could have knocked her that way felling as i ususally do. it was interesting and ill try it again.

oh, i used my 029.

and, i got dibs on that chassis on ebay ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Oregon_Rob

Red,
I would love to see that article, any idea which issue it was in? I don't get the magazine, but can find it. Always looking to learn more.

Thanks,

Rob
Chainsaw Nerd

redpowerd

ill dig around and try to find it
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Kevin

Red;
Were you felling against the lean?

Thank You Sponsors!