iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cross border shopping

Started by ~smokey~, June 23, 2019, 10:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~smokey~

I found an old saw on craigslist down in Pennsylvania I'm interested in, I'm in British Columbia. are there any other canucks here experienced in buying used stuff from down south ? I'm wondering about payment methods, best way to ship such as regular postal service or UPS etc, and any problems to be avoided at the border crossing. any help would greatly appreciated !

rubberfish

Not enough info for anyone to accurately help you out. 
British Columbia is not a street. :D Good luck.  
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Stephen1

I bring things up from the south all the time. I ussually use ebay or something that has some controls for authenticity.
When buying from an individual , it is a trust issue. 
Use UPS they have custom brokerage also.
See if there is someone on here close by that can check it out.
use your CC.
I have sent an etransfer , but do not send the password untill confirmation of the item being shiped, ie: photo of item being packaged at ups .
good luck. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bradm

How big would this saw be?  I've had machines shipped LTL from both the US and Alberta and haven't had too many issues.

~smokey~

Quote from: Stephen1 on June 24, 2019, 08:04:26 AM
I bring things up from the south all the time. I ussually use ebay or something that has some controls for authenticity.
When buying from an individual , it is a trust issue.
Use UPS they have custom brokerage also.
See if there is someone on here close by that can check it out.
use your CC.
I have sent an etransfer , but do not send the password untill confirmation of the item being shiped, ie: photo of item being packaged at ups .
good luck.
Excellent advice thanks Stephen, I've only used ebay a few times but had good luck with it, even ordering an Arrow exhaust from Italy was no problem. the UPS/etransfer sounds like the way to go so I'll keep that password trick in mind. thanks again.

~smokey~

Quote from: Bradm on June 24, 2019, 04:41:00 PM
How big would this saw be?  I've had machines shipped LTL from both the US and Alberta and haven't had too many issues.
It's just a small 14" electric Minibrute, weight is around 10lbs or so, I've changed my mind on the first saw I was looking at since I've found another one on ebay which seems to be a newer version, it's interesting the first saw appears to be an early version of the Minibrute I've never seen before. this is what it looks like.

Bradm

I was imagining a larger item for some reason.

Etransfer or PayPal for payment and just use the postal service for shipping.  Canada Post will take care of the duty and HST owed when you pick up the package.  Just make sure the seller cleans it up well and doesn't leave any fuel or bar oil remaining.

Mike W

Are you within a decent driving distance to the border?  British Columbia is rather large area to just guess at your particular situation.  If close enough to make the trip, look up cross border parcel centers right on the Southern side of the border, they are everywhere, I in fact own one of these facilities.  If within reasonable driving distance, contact one of these facilities at the nearest border crossing to you and have your item shipped there.  once it arrives, simply cross over, pay a small handling fee, and head on home with your "new to you" saw.  Will save you some $$ and is real easy to do, then again only if your within a decent distance to any particular border crossing.

~smokey~

Quote from: Bradm on June 26, 2019, 04:59:48 PM
I was imagining a larger item for some reason.

Etransfer or PayPal for payment and just use the postal service for shipping.  Canada Post will take care of the duty and HST owed when you pick up the package.  Just make sure the seller cleans it up well and doesn't leave any fuel or bar oil remaining.
Thanks, those are really good points about the fuel and bar oil I never even thought of that. 

~smokey~

Quote from: Mike W on June 27, 2019, 08:35:58 PM
Are you within a decent driving distance to the border?  British Columbia is rather large area to just guess at your particular situation.  If close enough to make the trip, look up cross border parcel centers right on the Southern side of the border, they are everywhere, I in fact own one of these facilities.  If within reasonable driving distance, contact one of these facilities at the nearest border crossing to you and have your item shipped there.  once it arrives, simply cross over, pay a small handling fee, and head on home with your "new to you" saw.  Will save you some $$ and is real easy to do, then again only if your within a decent distance to any particular border crossing.
Thanks for that information, that's a convenient service I've often wanted to take advantage of, unfortunately I would need to get a passport since I haven't been south of the border since before 911. so much for freedom.

Thank You Sponsors!