iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

driving to Canada what should I expect when I try to cross the border

Started by Part_Timer, April 14, 2007, 11:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

I'm going to be driving to Niagara on the lake in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what ot expect when driving across the border, I've never done that before.

I talked to the guy at the postoffice today and he said I didn't have to have a passport to drive across but could not tell me what was an acceptable form of ID ???

Any ideas.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

In the past, a notarized copy of your birth certificate would suffice.  However, I have heard that you will need a US Passport to re-enter the US at some point in time.  I am not sure if that regulation has gone into effect yet, but you sure had better check.  Otherwise, you will be stuck in the land of perpetual cold (only this spring :D) .
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

I have driven into the states with my picture driver's license and birth certificate. Your guys are harder to get along with than ours. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Part_Timer

NO mine is expired.  I wasn't planning on going back until next fall with my son.  This trip was a suprise, work wants me to go to a class up there.

They told me that you didn't have to have a passport to drive across until 2008.  However I cna't find that statement on the passport website.  Not that I would mind being stuck up there but work might get a bit upset adn I know Katie would.  I just need to make sure to have my fishing pole.
Peterson 8" ATS.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Furby

You currently need it for flying into/out of, but as of yet you do not need the passport for road crossings based on the news repots I've seen.
If work requires you to go, update your passport now and have work pay for it. ;D

Burlkraft

Quote from: Part_Timer on April 14, 2007, 11:12:31 PM
I'm going to be driving to Niagara on the lake in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what ot expect when driving across the border, I've never done that before.

Full body cavity search...... ;D ;D ;D   (too bad we don't have a rubber glove smiley)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Brucer

It's tempting to jump in with a joke or two, but I won't :).

We like our neighours so it's easier for Americans to enter Canada then folks from other countries.

You have to be able to prove your U.S. citizenship. A U.S. passport is ideal but a  US birth certificate and/or driver's license is usually acceptable. If you're a naturalized citizen, you'll need your naturalization papers. I'd suggest you take your birth certificate and driver's license if you don't have a passport.

If you have a criminal record (including an impaired driving conviction), you might not be allowed in. Get in touch with a Canadian Consulate in the U.S. if this applies to you.

Don't bring any firearms or ammunition. Seriously. You need a permit to possess firearms in Canada an they ain't gonna let you in if you're packing.

Taking kids under 18 across the border sometimes requires a letter from their parent(s) or guardian. If you're separated from your child's mother, or if you're taking one of his/her friends along, you'll need a letter saying it's OK for them to cross the border with you.

Canadian immigration will impose the same entry standards as your government (so you don't get stuck up here). As of right now, you need a passport to fly into the U.S. . You will not need a passport to drive (or take a ferry) until Jan 1, 2008. Both houses of Congress passed a law extending the land deadline to June, 2009 -- BUT -- Homeland Security is currently sticking to the Jan 1, 2008 deadline. This has led to a lot of confusion and a lot of mis-information on various web sites. Just remember, Homeland Security sets the rules for entering the U.S. so check their website for the correct information.

You can generally stay in Canada as a visitor for up to 6 months. That means if you travel here in the fall without a passport, you might find the customs people warning you about getting home before the passport deadline.

Washington State and B.C. are taking part in a pilot study that will let their residents pay extra for a special driver's license that meets U.S. federal security standards. This will be accepted in place of a passport (going either way across the border). However, don't expect to see this happen before the end of the year.

It sounds imposing, but for the vast majority of Americans and Canadians, crossing the border is not a big deal. Just a tad scary until you've done it once.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sprucebunny

They will ask you if you have any "weapon" : knife, mace, caveman club ;D

They will ask if you have gifts or alcohol. If you cross at a small crossing, they will ask why you are at that particular entry point !

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

millit

Part_Timer

Thanks everyone, I'll be crossing up by Port Huron.  

SB I'm taking a company vehicle and Katie and I are going to get it a day early so that we can go through it and make DARN sure that there aren't any caveman clubs in it.  Not to mention anything else I'd hate to have them find.  :D

Brucer THat was more info than I got off of our passport site.  Thanks

Katie is mad, she wants to see the falls but can't go.  I might be better off to stay in Canada,  Home might not be such a welcome place when I get back. :)

BK did you ever stop and think that maybe there is a reason that there isn't a rubber glove smiley.  Like maybe no one wants to think about that ;) :D :D :D
Peterson 8" ATS.

Texas Ranger

the biggest surprise will be when you meet your first Canadian, they talk funny, eh? ;D

Then will come the cultural shock.  Weak beer, tea instead of coffee, that strange French thing, and, finally, they are just like us. (I know there are exceptions, but hey, it's their country).
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Furby

I answered the "any weapon" question with a yes..... a small pocket knife.
Had to tell the agent where it was and then pull it out and show her when I said it was in my pocket.
It was less then a 2" blade knife.
I should kept my mouth shut and saved the 10 mins. ::)

Is the company vehicle registered as a commercial vehicle?
Might have some additional requirements there.
The Blue Water Bridge is a nice crossing.
I crossed on the ferry in Algonac and that was cool. 8)

submarinesailor

Having a wife who is a Public Affairs Officer at US Customs and Border Protection, I have learned to use the CPB question and answer website: US Customs and Porder Protection Question/Answer web site   Here is their answer to this question:

Questions:  Do I need a passport to travel within the Western Hemisphere?

Answer:  In April 2005, the Departments of State (DOS) and Homeland Security (DHS) announced a plan to be implemented in stages beginning on December 31, 2005 for the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.  All persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by AIR between the United States and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda are required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document. U.S. Legal Permanent Residents are only required to present their green cards for departure and re-admission, but most other countries will not admit you without a passport from your country of citizenship. Consequently, airlines will not allow LPR's to board without a passport in hand. Refugees and asylees may use the U.S. travel document in lieu of a passport from their country of citizenship.
Although the requirement is now in effect for all international air travelers to have a passport for travel into and out of the U.S., we are aware that some travelers have not been able to obtain passports because of delayed processing times in both Canada and the U.S. CBP has informed airlines that travelers with sufficient documentation to provide evidence of a good faith effort to obtain a passport in a timely fashion, (i.e. a receipt from an issuing agency) can be brought to the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda, where we will determine their admissibility on a case by case basis. Only travelers who have made an effort to obtain passports in a timely fashion should contact airlines about being allowed to board under these guidelines. Travelers who have been negligent in obtaining required documents should not expect to be accomodated. Travelers to and from other destinations previously requiring a passport for travel are not eligible for this accomodation.

Domestic travel within the U.S. does not require the presentation of a passport. In particular, Canadian citizens may travel by land to the U.S. then fly to other domestic U.S. locations without a passport.
As of January, 2008, all persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

For further information on the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative please visit the Department of State.

Bruce

SwampDonkey

Ditto to what submarinesailor said.

We cross by car all the time into the US and currently they only ask for driver's license with photo ID. Coming back to Canada they ask how long we were over, what we got and $$ spend on goods. Then we just go on our merry way. Sometimes the small crossings are more hassle than the big ones. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawdust

I never had a problem going south, even after 911 was the quickest crossing I ever made.... coming home however! Always buy something and keep the receipt, " you bought nothing????" "please step out of the car" Canada Customs must try to hire people that have really low self esteem so they can beat up on others. Another curiosity why do US customs drug dogs sniff cars leaving the country?
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Part_Timer

Thanks Bruce dat's what I needed to know. I think I saw that on but it seems to make more sence when I see it on the forum. :)

Sawdust, thier sniffing for hillbillies y'all seem to have plenty enough of them up your way already. ;)

Peterson 8" ATS.

Fla._Deadheader

Also gotta remember, all that "ootin" ain't Owls.  ::) ;D ;D :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!