iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV Logging/Firewood/Manage,ent

Started by logbutcher, January 13, 2004, 04:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minnesota_boy

An older crawler may be less money, will pull more for its weight, and pull in places that a wheel tractor will mire down.  You have to watch the turns and make them gradual if the ground isn't frozen or you can really tear up the terrain.  There are a bunch of John Deere and International crawlers around here, as well as a few Olivers and Case.  Most need a bit of work on them, but would be fine units for some minor skidding.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Slofr8

Logbutcher,  I sure won't forget about the biathlon.  It'll happen about two miles from my house.  All ready put in for that week off from work and volunteered to work on the course. 8)  Gonna be a BIG, BIG time!

Stan

I had one of them OC-3's, mine was a 68" wide track, but only had a pusher blade. Then one day my neighbor blew a hole in the block, I don't know how he did that. I found a guy who wanted a parts tractor, and sold it to him, cheap. He showed up with a truck, fired up the Hercules and drove that crawler onto the truck. I just stood there with my mouth open, if I'd know you could still drive it I wouldn't have sold it.  :-/ It was great in the woods, except if you were sidehillin' and got up on a pole.  :o
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

L. Wakefield

And back into left field with the lingonberries- I made my first attempt to plant that species 2 years ago- it lasted half the summer and then when my back was turned it got overgrown with grass and disappeared. I think I will try it again. I want to develop various species of cranberry and their relatives here. I don't necessarily have 'the right kind' of swamp.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

logbutcher

:)    Never expected that the lingons would linger  ::) . More than you ever want to know............ It goes nice w a Maine micro brew and toasted sourdough. What is "GPITA" ?
slofr8: Yes, the Maine biathlon is in reality "world class." Not too well publisized in this country. It is "big, big time." The volunteering sounds like fun and hard work. Do they need more ? Contacts ?
Did biathlon years ago in Underhill, VT center.Super way to play XC ski and shooting....very tough sport which is why the Finns beat the Soviets in WWII.
We've never been to the Ft Kent Maine Sports Center--about 3 hours from here.

Slofr8

Logbutcher, you did biathlon? I find it a fasinating sport.  I usually watch the races from the top of some hill along the course.  It's amazing the heart some of these  skiers have.  Sometimes, by the time they get to the top of the hill, there's snot hanging clear to thier bindings!
Here's a link to Maine Winter sports with info and a volunteer sign up.  

Slofr8

L. Wakefield

Quote:)    Never expected that the lingons would linger  ::) . More than you ever want to know............ It goes nice w a Maine micro brew and toasted sourdough. What is "GPITA" ?

I added GPITA as a qualification as few months after I registered at the FF. We had forestors and consultants, and I was just folks- but I wondered if I had anything to offer. As I was in the barn the thought came to me that I was perhaps uniquely qualified in this most important of fields.

It stands for 'General pain in the a**'' . Which is a common, or utility classification, to be distinguished from such other more advanced classifications as RPITA ('royal') or PPITA ('professional'). I am just folks, no special licensure required for this practice, but I do as best I can..   :D :D :D  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

OneWithWood

LW you forgot one - my legal certification of CPA which my father was prompt to point out actually stood for Certified Pain in the A$$ :D :D :D ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

L. Wakefield

Never heard that but it's on my list. I do like those certifications and advanced practice eddication.

Now the trend is for DPITA- documented pain in the a**. That would be me..  lw

Ed_K

Rita says Kool  8). She's taking that to work, where she prides in GPITA.
Ed K

Swede

L. Wakefield

I don´t think its easy to plant lingon. Make a call to American Lingon Import C:y and buy a bucket, RAW, not jam! Feed the birds with them and have some patience.  8)

Swede.

PS. I realy hope You can find some birds!  ::)
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Swede

Today I made a call to Skogma asking for a  retailer at Your side of A.O.
There is no one but the people at Logosol and Skogma has a good relationship.  If anyone is intrested in a "Domänsaxen" from Skogma in Sweden, I think it´s possible to get one  that way.  

< http://www.logosol.com/ >
< http://www.skogma.de/shop/ > Art.-nr. 340 4111-00

Swede

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)

logbutcher

Tak Tak Swede !!!!
The Logosol Frisch Electric Splitter looks and specs (technical specifications) are exactly like the splitter we use for most of our firewood. It is made by Bell in Italy and marketed in the US by Country Home Products in Vermont, US.
This tiny splitter though only 4 ton capacity does 95% of our 5-8 cords per year: paper birch, red maple, red oak, green ash, and some conifers for the sauna and hot tub. It's quiet, needs only a source of electricity, very little maintenance. The opposite of engine driven wood splitters. And: I can hear myself sing  8) .
I don't know why more of these electric (hydraulic) splitters are not used. Neat tool...with limitations of course.
Coming to the Maine World Biathlon Cup in March ? ::)

Swede

logbutcher;

http://www.trejon.se/indexe.html

Pilke 2X cross-cutter/wood splitter
with double wedges

It´s less than 11 months to christmas! ;D

Scott

Here's a picture of my first cord. Birch and maple firewood, cut by bow saw. The picture was taken 4 years ago, I was 13 at the time and not allowed to use the chainsaw.

Stan

Maybe you can talk Jeff outa that drag saw, at least it won't get heavier as the day wears on.  :)

bitternut

Here is a link to pictures of the atv skidding arch I made. I have made a couple of changes to the original model. The latest version has a removable trailer deck and a rack for carrying my saw and other gear needed for --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/scripts/misc.fcgi?action=invitePickup&uri=album/120381886UoyIGi

Stan

When the chain slides up the pipe, lifting the log, does the hitch get light?

IndyIan

That arch looks good bitternut.  Do you back it over the log with the atv or by hand?
I have a trailer with about the same wheelbase and I find its hard to back it with the atv in the woods.  Usually takes a few tries to get it into a tight spot. :D
Ian  

bitternut

Indylan , I found that its usually easier to unhook and place the arch by hand. I welded a handle on the tongue and it handles real easy. Tough backing up a trailer in the woods on uneven ground with limited maneuvering room. It has a regular ball hitch so it only takes a second to unhitch and re-hitch.

No Stan the hitch does not get light when the chain slides up the bar raising the end of the log off the ground. It actually puts more load on the hitch since the load is forward of the arches axle.

IndyIan

The handle on the tongue is a great idea for any trailer.  Would you mind if I showed your pictures to a welder/trailer builder sometime?  One of these days I'll have to get a logging arch built for me.  The size of the hardwood logs you're moving in your pictures is impressive.
Ian

bitternut

Hey Indylan you are more than welcome to help yourself to whatever you need. I posted some pictures of how I constructed mine on ofoto. Here is the link.............

http://www.ofoto.com/AlbumMenu.jsp?

In fact if you want to send me a stamped, self addressed envelope I will send you a set of dimensioned drawings. Its really quite easy to build one if you are able to weld. Access to a band-saw helps too for cutting the stock but is not an absolute necessity. Its a good idea to procure your tires and wheels before you start. That way you will be sure of what your overall width will end up at. In my case I intended to use a couple of space saver tires and wheels. Do you know I looked high and low and could not find 2 alike to make a pair. Well actually I could have but the guy wanted $50 for a mate to one that I had. I ended up with two Ford rims with tires all mounted. Found 4 of them at the curb at our local tire pick-up day. The hubs and spindles are 2000# units that I bought for about $30 I think. My unit ended up a little wider than the 4-wheeler as a result of using the larger tires and wheels. I only have a little over $125 invested in it. It was a fun project.

IndyIan

That would be great Herb, Thanks 8)
Click on my name and personal message me your address.  I don't know how to weld but I've been thinking about learning for quite a while.  Building a logging arch would probably be a good project for a course though.

Ian

Scott

Ian, most welders don't mind showing you the basics, espcially for a little $  :D.

Thank You Sponsors!