iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Louisiana Invents A New Form Of Logging

Started by logboy, August 23, 2013, 12:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logboy

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Jeff

I'm not sure what I was watching there. Was that a sink hole or something forming under the water?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

It was a sinkhole.  It looked like somebody just flushed the swamp!  I'm curious as to why the oil barriers were there. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Den Socling

I'm wondering how long the guy stood there with the camera. The sinking trees were scary.

Barebuttminer

why the oil barriers were there

http://www.weather.com/news/louisiana-sinkhole-collapses-20130822
The sinkhole, discovered Aug. 3, 2012, resulted from a collapsed underground salt dome cavern about 40 miles south of Baton Rouge. After oil and natural gas came oozing up and acres of the swampland liquefied into muck, the community's 350 residents were advised to evacuate.
A salt dome is a large, naturally occurring underground salt deposit. Companies drill on the dome's outskirts to create caverns in which to extract brine that is used in the petrochemical refining process, or for storage of such things as hydrocarbons. Officials say a cavern was being mined too close to the edge of the Napoleon Salt Dome, which caused the "unprecedented" side wall collapse.
Wood-Mizer LT15, John Deer 450C Dozer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Stihl 009

logboy

QuoteI'm wondering how long the guy stood there with the camera. The sinking trees were scary.

Agreed. I thought he was in a boat. When I saw he was on land I thought, screw that!  Forget Louisiana and their disappearing trees. I'm staying in Wisconsin with the mosquitos and snow.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Autocar

I second log boy heck with them sink holes  :D !
Bill

mesquite buckeye

I thought it was a doctored video when I started watching it. How do you get the logs out after you drop them????? ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)? ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

JohnM

What on earth makes him think he's safe where he is??!!  ??? :o  Heebie jeebies in spades!
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

NWP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=_feWtkSucvE

This one's impressive. I'd seen it on TV a while back. It explains how everything happened.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Warbird

Yeah.  That was scary.  I want to know if it was a planned event because the photographer and the guys with him seemed to be expecting it.

Magicman

Pat and I visited and went down into that Jefferson Island Salt Mine in 1963.  It was really beautiful down there with everything being pure white with the lights shinning.  When that drilling incident happened, it was hard for us to imagine how the lake just disappeared into the mine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fat olde elf

To add to Detroit's woes, there is a 1,500 acre salt mine under the city. Bye-bye Detroit ?  I worked just a few blocks from Tiger Stadium in the 70's....Say your prayers........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Thank You Sponsors!