iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mixing Species in Nyle Kiln

Started by DR_Buck, July 23, 2007, 06:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I know mixing species for drying ids not recommended.  Especially for green lumber.     But what about species that have very close drying schedules?

I have a customer that is bringing a load (@1000 bf) of cherry and walnut.  Both are recent cut and milled.  These two species have very similar drying schedules.    1000 bf is only half a load and I'd hate to tie up the kiln for two 500 bf loads.   Can I dry them together in my DH4000 (Nyle L200) kiln?  If so, which schedule should I use?   Or some other combontion of settings?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

beenthere

I'd assume you would have kiln samples from each species, and use them to adjust the schedule (then you will know if either species is running behind).

By tracking both species by their samples, you should be good to go.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don_Lewis

Generally mixing species in the same group is okay. These are both in the same group and can be dried together. There are some practical limits, of course. Call Nyle if yohave any questions.

DR_Buck

Thanks Don,

That's kind of what I thought.

Dave
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

scsmith42

Dave, I have mixed species with good success.  Key factors are 1 - the species have similar drying rates (per the Nyle DH schedules), 2 - they have similar IMC's, and 3 - they have similar targeted final MC%'s.

I use a Delmhorst Kil-mo-trol Plus system and will have probes installed in each species, making it easier to monitor and chart whats happening in the load.

Re kiln schedules, I'll use the one that's the most conservative (slowest drying).

Talk to Don or Tripp at Nyle - they've always been a great help to me.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!