iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Out for a season

Started by Draco, October 23, 2013, 04:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draco

I ended up in bad shape last fall and couldn't cut a wood supply for this year.  I'm almost healed and ready to start cutting for next year.  Propane is my usual backup and runs a few household items.  I decided to bite the bullet and burn propane this winter for heat.

I dumped the water out of my Central Boiler last spring.  My only concern is the exposed PEX lines in the insulated jacket, between the house and the boiler.  It isn't below the frost line and I'm sure that there is some water in it.  My first thought is that it has room to expand toward the house, because that water will not freeze.  The water on the boiler side should allow for expasion out of the ends of the PEX.  Because this is simply theory, I'd like someone to tell me that I'm an idiot, or correct.  My other concern is leaving the pump dry and off for this long.  Replacing a pump is no big deal, but that line is.  I'm on a slab and it's under it.

I have been considering getting a few cases of RV antifreeze and running it though the pump until I fill the entire loop.  Next spring, I could flush the entire system with fresh water, dump it and fill with new water and conditioner.  The math on the number of gallons I'd need should be easy.  Should I bother with all of this, or let it go and hope for the best? 

I wish that Central Boiler would answer these questions, instead of leaving them to their distributors, who all have a different opinion.  I trust this group more than them. 

Thanks.

goose63

Can you get blow air in the line to get the water out? :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

jueston

i don't have an OWB but i would recommend blowing the lines out as well, what you need to get all the liquid is volumn, so wait for the storage take on your compressor to fill all the way, then open the valve and dump the tank into the lines, then stop and wait for the tank to fill and do it again.

if your very worried, you could blow the lines out, then put a gallon of high grade alcohol(anything with high acohol for human consumption or not) and blow it out again, then if you think there are any low spots with water left in it, it will be mostly alcohol and won't freeze.....

beenthere

Run the RV through and then not have to worry, IMO.
Blowing may still end up with low spots full of water that will freeze and possibly bust pipe.

Hope this winter you will get healed up and feeling better, and maybe even get some wood cut ahead.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Holmes

Beenthere is absolutely correct.   100' of 1" pipe holds about 4 gallons of fluid.  A 30 to 50% mix will protect your pipes.  You need to protect those pipes and antifreeze is the best solution.  I would not use automotive anti freeze..
Think like a farmer.

Ivan49

Why not use auto antifeeze?

beenthere

Or maybe the cheaper windshield washer fluid?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Holmes

Generally the pipe manufacturers do not recommend auto anti freeze in their pipes.   Windshield washer fluid might work.   The rv type anti freeze actually contracts when it gets colder and turns into a mush, unless you are in Alaska   It will freeze solid there..
Think like a farmer.

billporterfield

Go to Menard's, they have radiant floor heating anti-freeze. Put in the pipe and don't worry about flushing out system.

Thank You Sponsors!