iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

be on the look out for money in the mail

Started by Tam-i-am, January 25, 2016, 06:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

So this evening I was sorting the mail and in the junk pile went an envelope from Neilsen.  Kevin stopped me and said he was curious what they wanted as if we couldn't guess.  So I opened it and out fell two brand new crisp one dollar bills.  It was "their way of saying thank you" for filling out their survey. 

So how much of that money do you suppose goes to landfills, recycling centers or in my case burned?  It doesn't seem like a very cost effective marketing program.  Why not send a check?

So now that I have been guilted into it, I filled in the 15 question survey and they are going to send me 5 more dollars so they have to send a check anyway.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

terrifictimbersllc

I once got a $50 savings bond from them for doing some kind of survey.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Pat and I both did the week survey last Fall.  It was very straightforward and no problem.  After it was over, they sent a couple more bucks.  All cash....no checks.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

I got that back in October.  They sent $2 in the application, and gave me $2 to fill out the diary for a week. 

We also get a dime from the March of Dimes from time to time.  Also get postage stamps in some junk mail.  Once you send anything like that back with a donation, you'll have them calling you several times a year asking for more money.  Sometimes it's cheaper to throw the money away.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

r.man

I pay our hydro bill at the bank and very often don't open every bill, the amount doesn't vary much from month to month. About two years ago I threw a hydro bill envelope in the recycling and my wife fished it out to at least look at it. Inside was a 75 dollar rebate cheque for some odd reason. If my wife had not retrieved it I wonder if they would have reissued it or would we have lost out on the 75 dollars. I learned my lesson, I open every envelope.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

yukon cornelius

I only get to send money out in the mail. I never seem to receive any in the mail. Good lesson though. Open all mail!
Now, what to spend it all on???? The options are limitless!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Just Me

Neilson sent me one of those. It as easy for me to fill out as we do not watch television.

Tam-i-am

So that still leaves the question where does all that money go if no one opens it?  Postal workers, trashmen, etc.  is someone looking for it?
We have people who go through our recycling for bottles.  $2 in that envelope is much better than any bottles he is going to collect from my recycle bin and a lot less work.

Chuck White

We used to get a survey request, usually every year in the fall and we'd fill it out and in 1-2 weeks we'd get a mailing from them and in it would be a $2.00 bill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

John Mc

Once they get you to realize that there is cash in their envelopes, they've now guaranteed you'll actually open their mail.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ron Wenrich

Doesn't mean I read it.  We burn our trash, so all that unopened mail ends up in the burning barrel.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

pine

Quote from: Tamiam on January 25, 2016, 06:16:25 PM
...................... or in my case burned?

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on January 26, 2016, 10:39:37 AM
Doesn't mean I read it.  We burn our trash, so all that unopened mail ends up in the burning barrel.

Interesting that you are still allowed to burn your trash. 
I thought most states had banned the burning of trash by now. 
Must not be as wide spread as it seems.  The ban that is.

I will be on the lookout in the junk mail.  In all my life I have never seen any mailing from Neilsen about any survey or log of watching habits.

Tam-i-am

"Interesting that you are still allowed to burn your trash. 
Must not be as wide spread as it seems.  The ban that is."

not burning trash, just some paper in the wood furnace

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

D.Andersen

Interesting that you are still allowed to burn your trash. 
Must not be as wide spread as it seems.  The ban that is.

In my county we are suppose to get a "burn permit". I almost never do, perhaps just my age, but I just do not feel I need the Government's #$%€* permission to strike a match on my property.

I will go thru the nonsense if I am doing a large fire, or something with a lot of smoke, just to avoid the hassle.

Suppose the Feds will read this and place me on some kind of "watch list".....

;D

Tam-i-am

Quote from: Darrel on January 26, 2016, 11:59:19 AM
Who is this Neilsen you speak of.

Neilsen rating, how they determine what people watch on TV. 
other than to ask what my favorite show and station was the rest of the questions were about how much radio I listen to and to what. 

Magicman

Mine did not include anything about TV.  It was a week's diary listing the radio stations that we listen to.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Nielsen started out years ago, wooing the TV industry and making big bucks feeding them what viewers watched. Claimed to have vehicle(s) that would drive the streets and could monitor what channel was being watched. Always hear about the Nielsen ratings for new (and old) TV programs. 95% of them would be gone in a heartbeat if it was up to me.  :)

I suspect now, that they are collecting listening-info on radio stations to sell their data to them.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Nielson is a big employer next county over. They used to pay to put a box on your set to collect data.

Local DJ Bubba the love sponge clem just got caught trying to bribe participants into giving him a better Nielson rating.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Woodhauler

If you guys will all send me a five dollar bill in the mail I will be sure to open the letter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Den Socling

Makes me think about today. Everything in the mailbox went into the recycling bin and never made it to the office. We're expecting a final payment of $16K from a customer. I made sure it wasn't in the stack!

Magicman

I did not get a check today for $16K either.  :'(

Woodhauler

Quote from: Magicman on January 26, 2016, 06:20:40 PM
I did not get a check today for $16K either.  :'(
Why do we call it 16k, not 16grand??  16gs??? How did the k come along???
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Jeff

The simple answer is that Kilogram means Thousand. K is for kilogram, so k is for 1000.  Grand is slang, K is an actual form of measure.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brian_Weekley

"kilo" or "k" (small k) = 1000

kilogram (kg) = 1000 grams (weight), kilometers (km) = 1000 meters (length), etc...
e aho laula

Thank You Sponsors!