iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily Fabrication Thread

Started by mike_belben, January 29, 2018, 09:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

One day last winter I got an idea for bolt on valve stem protection and cut all the pieces then put it all aside because I couldn't drag the welder from the basement up thru the snow to tack it up on the tractor. Finally I put it together today. Kind of heavy but it looks like it might work.

It's just a piece the shaped to fit the opening and sandwiched so it can't move around with the pipe end welded to the outside at the bottom and two sides.

gg

Ljohnsaw

Very nice!  And you can screw a pipe cap on there to really protect it!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

Well I finally have something pretty enough to post.  My welds are functional... ;)

I've decided to sharpen my own bands since the local sharpening service is extremely slow/over booked and the results are mediocre (something I excel at :D).  I need to make three items.  A setter and an advance mechanism for the grinder and a de-setter.

Searching my stockpile, all the pieces for a de-setter just fell into place.  I had the timing belts replaced on two vehicles and saved the idle and tension pulleys.  Years ago, I bought a 1/2" plate that was some sort of automotive jig with lots of holes and some dowel pins.  Two pins needed to be removed and, surprisingly, they popped out with a few solid taps.

Turned out the dowel pins fit the center hole on an idler pulley perfectly.  I only had to drill one 1/2" hole for the pivot point and a small hole to mount the tension screw.  I ran a scrap of blade through it and it works great.  It doesn't remove all of the set, just gets them all back to something less than the target and eliminates any teeth that got bent way out.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mike_belben

That looks great john.  

I have buckets, crates and file cabinets full of every kinda gear, pulley, idler, cam, coupler, lovejoy, destaco... You name it.  All stuff from scrap.. And all locked in truck bodies a thousand miles away where it doesnt help me today.

:/
Praise The Lord

Puffergas

Been doing some welding with the import inverter.

This thing likes to dig in and melt the butter.

I twisted off my rusted out trailer jack handle this weekend. Would have been better off to make a new one but I thought this would be a good test of welding rusted out thin metal. I almost always use 1/8 6011 with the buzz box and had good luck with it. Had some 1/16 6013 rods that never work well with the buzz box, I thought they were a joke.

Man, I was disappointed trying to weld this thin stuff with 1/8 6011. It was just what the reviews said about trying to keep the rod lit with an import inverter. No problem at higher amps but a beginner might have a bit of a problem. Then I remembered those junk 10 year old 1/16 rods. Surprise, they worked like a charm! Can keep a crazy long arc and make a nice high frequency hiss. Now I'm thinking the TIG stuff was a waste for me.

Learning to weld all over again.

This is my rusted paper thin junk weld.

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

mike_belben

Glad it works for ya.  Never tried one of these little things.  Whatd it cost?
Praise The Lord

Puffergas

Mike, about $150. Of course prices for everything will be going up. Figures, just when I was thinking about a plasma cutter. Oh well.. No idea how it will hold up. Only time will tell.
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

g_man

I want to be able to pull a trailer with the winch on the tractor so last weekend I put a 2" receiver in the butt plate of my little Farmi.

A couple years ago I made a bolt on 1-1/4" receiver that I would put on when I wanted to tow the wood splitter.

gg

Oliver05262

Maybe should be titled "The Woodshed". A

project I've planned for some time, somewhat overbuilt, but it's the journey, folks. I'm only doing this once. Frame isn't mortised-Timberlocks are wonderful things. I'll finish the siding and fill her up this summer. Probably add doors next year--after the listers look at it and decide how much to raise our taxes!!
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

78NHTFY

g_man:  nice add-on!  Should come in handy.
Oliver05262--if they raise your taxes, do that mean you've been "taken out to your own woodshed?" :D :D
All the best, Rob. 
If you have time, you win....

thecfarm

Wood shed looks good. Going to put any siding on it? If so put it up green and when it drys there will be some gaps for the air to blow through.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

Nice shed Oliver !  Built to last a while.   Make sure you point out to the listers that it is a movable shed on skids. They might over look that and it makes a big difference. Their assessment will still be plenty high for a shed. 

gg

teakwood

Nice build! For what do you use that? Storage gardentools? or firewood?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Oliver05262

Update with a new picture. Siding is on three sides- 1X6 pine, still somewhat green and spaced with a 10penny nail. Already showing some daylight between the boards to let the wind through.
  Now to figure out how to finish off the open side. I'll probably just put the 1X6's down as far as the braces go for this year, with a header across between them at 6'6". Probably wait to make doors until next summer.
  Now to trade off some of my skidder repair jobs for some wood to fill it up!

Oliver Durand
It's OK to cry.

47sawdust

Very nice looking shed.If it is used for green wood I'm afraid the wood won't dry.My brother built a similar style shed and ended removing every other board.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

mike_belben

Put some rebar sides and a back rack on my rock bucket.   20 some loads of demo have come in, with a mixture of rebar, scrap metal, concrete and native shotrock.  Ive been sifting the pile with it and its working great.  The fines fall all over the driveway where i need em.  Then i dump on the edge and fling the big concrete and block stuff over the hill.  Medium stuff gets run into the clay up top to make my road base.   Im picking out the stones for a retaining wall and so forth.  30 more loads to come.. Gonna put me up around 150.  Not bad for a burnt, locked up, junk gasser bobcat.

Eat your heart out CFarm. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

I could use a burnt, locked up, junk gasser bobcat too. ;D
I am working on 3 roads now. One is being put up in the air at least 2 feet,one is only coming up about 6 inches,this is the truck road. They kinda squashed it down in one wet spot. Than the next one is where the forwarder came across the bog. Had plenty of rocks for him to cross,but the middle is higher than the wheel tracks. The wheel tracks are being filled in. Just want to level it out for the tractor.I have places for rocks 2-3 feet across and places for rocks only a few inches across. Good thing I can get rid of rocks. ::)

Puffergas

Below is an update video of the think I call a crossover.

Video.

Forwarder Skidder Crossover - YouTube

Photo.

Jeff

Satamax

That looks a lot like old aebi transporter. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Puffergas

Satamax, I've thought about doing something like that with an old pickup truck.

Emmentaler Härtetest Teil 2 - YouTube

Aebi Transporter - YouTube

A roll cage in in the plan also.
Jeff

Satamax

Puffergas, Those things are extremely reducted, rated for 40kph. with small two, three or four cylinders, of 20/40hp usually. AG tires, lockers everywhere. Nearly unstopable!  Except if they're not loaded. 
Could be done with a pickup sure. Or even better, with an old toyota hiace or dyna. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

snowstorm

i saw a rig a few yrs back. he took a ford windstar van awd cut to shorten it cut the roof off along with the doors. said it made a cheap little buggy

mike_belben

Subarus.  All theyre good for.  
Praise The Lord

Oliver05262

Now, Mike, stop that. They're Vermont's official car. F350's are pretty much the official truck....................
Oliver Durand
It's OK to cry.

Thank You Sponsors!