iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Intro Post - Dad's old saw - Husqy 365/372 - Rebuild

Started by Somewhat Handy, January 01, 2019, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somewhat Handy

Hi guys. This will be my first thread after lurking several years. To summarize, my Dad passed away at the beginning of December. The two of us cut a lot of firewood with this saw when I was younger. I haven't used this saw in years and I don't know what condition it's in so I've decided to go through it stem to stern and learn more about it before I fire it up again. I hope to get a little homestead of my own going soon and this saw figures highly in those plans, maybe powering a granberg mill at some point. I'm following some teardown videos by Matthew Olson atm and I'll post photos as I go in case someone else finds this useful.

I should also point out that this saw looks like a 365 Sp with a few 372 Xp parts added later on. May just be cosmetic stuff. We'll see.

Edit:
If you're just starting your first saw build like I am, let me recommend that you buy one of these cantilever parts organizers. Let's me sort parts and fasteners in groups by location on the saw and the order I removed them. The bins mesh into the tier or lid above so I could turn the whole box upside down and not worry about things getting out of sorts. These boxes also stack, so you could keep adding boxes as you start projects, but the resulting tower of parts takes up little floor space. I really like these. One is plenty to sort the small parts for this saw. The rest goes in a rubbermaid tub. I haven't been real descriptive about the fastener sizes as I removed them, but I will try to mention them all when I put this saw back together.

mike_belben

Sorry to hear about your dad.  

I suggest you pull the muffler and look inside plug hole to verify the piston and bore arent scuffed.  If not, id try to run it unless youre sure its got issues. 
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

Welcome aboard,, pull up a stump. What Mike said, do that before going any further. If all is good and you have spark rebuild the carb with a fresh diaphragm/gasket kit and replace the fuel line and impulse line. They harden and crack with age. That is a tough saw but might be underpowered for a mill. Try it then decide.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Somewhat Handy

Ok. I'll have a look there first. I couldn't see much through the plug hole alone, but I'll see what it looks like with the muffler off. This saw is dirty. My dad wasn't the most mechanically inclined and I doubt his saws got much attention unless they stopped cutting. I also noticed that the chain brake doesn't seem to engage. I seem to recall this mechanism snapping into place when it was working. Now it just swings free.

Somewhat Handy

The clutch/bar cover looks pretty bad.

I think it's missing a plastic guide piece here:

I also think it's missing a piece of rubber flashing here:

Somewhat Handy

I'd also say that there are only two original handle screws left. 

mike_belben

No big deal.  The filthy air cleaner matters more than the mismatched handle screws. Order a filter and the plastic chain guide block, i wouldnt worry about the mudflap, most of my saws lack them.   

Get the clutch off to oil the clutch bearing.   Plug the carb with clean paper towel, pull the muffler and plug that, then you can blast the thing with ether and air to degrease it.  Just watch your eyes. You want the jug fins to be clean for cooling.  
Praise The Lord

Somewhat Handy

Seeing how much dirt is caked in with the chain brake lever, I'm not surprised that I don't get the normal "click" action that I'm accustomed to. I hope cleaning the gunk out fixes it. Is their some type of of pawl mechanism inside there? We'll see.

Somewhat Handy

I thought one of the muffler screws was stripped. Nope, just an imperial fastener what should have been an M5. Par for the course, I guess.

Somewhat Handy

Can't see much of the cylinder interior from here, but things are looking pretty sooty. I really don't know what the piston skirt is supposed to look like through the exhaust port. Think I'll call it a night for now. Thanks all.

mike_belben

Pull the chainbrake cover and youll see the big spring toward the rear and a small detenting spring toward to front that rides in a picket with i believe a plastic cap over it to follow the contours on the brake lever. 

Piston is juuuust starting to gall in the bore a bit, note the scuffs on the very top of the crown.  Good news is youve caught it early.
Praise The Lord

Al_Smith

Looks to me to scuffed by carbon build up perhaps from a restrictive muffler .If it were mine which it's not I'd pull the cylinder,clean up the piston and decarbon the exhaust port .Might not be a bad idea to look at the muffler etc . I've seen them a lot worse than that still run just fine after a little clean up .

Like grandma used to say,sicker cats than that have lived . :)

Somewhat Handy

Washed her down and popped off the chain brake cover. I can see more dirt than parts under there. A little metal chunk tumbled out as I was lifting the chain brake cover (sitting on clutch in last picture). Maybe the pawl I was expecting to see?

Somewhat Handy

I don't see this little guy in any spare parts diagrams. Hmm....

Somewhat Handy

Cleaned up the brake lock and lever. I think the dirt caked in behind the brake lock may have prevented it's full range of motion. I'll come back to this side later when I'm ready to look at the clutch.

Somewhat Handy

Now the starter cover.

Missing a cover screw. No cracks and the starter pulley looks in good shape. Plenty of spring left. Just needs cleaned.

Somewhat Handy

Ignition and flywheel seems to be all there. 

No cracks in shroud.

Ignition coil cleaned up ok, but the cable insulation is pretty thin in a couple spots. Will replace cable.

mike_belben

Chainbrake detent block looks right to me, im not sure what that little tab is.  Hmm.
Praise The Lord

Somewhat Handy

Now the gas tank and trigger group. This appears to be the remains of a chain catcher. Will replace if available.

Uh-oh. Looking for third screw attaching handle and I realize there is a big chunk missing from the crank case housing. This may be a parts saw now. What do you guys think? Would it be safe to run this way? Might need to look for another 365/372 to complete this little project.

mike_belben

I think that tab came out of your clutch. 

If the crankcase isnt leaking id keep it. My 372 is on a chinese crankcase.  The only issue was the impulse line being different.  I dont remember how i solved it but it only took a few minutes.
Praise The Lord

Somewhat Handy

It's not leaking as far as I can tell. I'm just worried that the brake band may not be secure anymore. There's a stud at the end of the band that looks like it was secured in a recess on the chunk that's missing. I also think the missing chunk might have been bridged to the handle with a rubber damper, which is long gone. I also dislike that the clutch is now unshielded. I might keep it if I can jury rig a new piece to keep the clutch shielded, maybe jb weld a strip of aluminum around the damaged area. I don't doubt the saw has been run this way for some time, but I'll be on the lookout for a new crankcase, nonetheless.

mike_belben

I think i paid like $70 shipped for mine, probably from huztl.
Praise The Lord

Somewhat Handy

Are Huztl parts good quality and fit? The prices sure aren't bad.

mike_belben

I dunno, kinda subjective.  Not near as good as oem, not near as expensive.  If all i could use was oem, itd be a broken saw sitting in a box right now for lack of funds.  Instead it cuts a few cord a month and i scrape by.  

Huztl has been the best chicom stuff ive used. Though not without the occasional flaw to work around. Have rebuilt many saws top to bottom with their under $60 kits.  Many werent worth investing much more.  I port most jugs and hone most bores myself so that removes some of the flaw factor. 
Praise The Lord

Somewhat Handy

Pulled the carburetor off. It's a Walbro HD 12A 912. I'm gonna replace all the rubber lines and gaskets- probably the cylinder boot as well.  

Had to wait on pulling the boot after the cylinder because the band clamp was rotated such that a screw driver couldn't access it.

Thank You Sponsors!