iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

banding materials

Started by Ricker, March 01, 2016, 09:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricker

Been reading and learning for quite sometime, great site filled with good people. I am always adding  to my tool list when I can and am looking at banding tools, any thoughts on  metal versus composite or cord strapping material? thanks 

Kbeitz

The best banding that I have used was a green thick plastic.
I think it was even stronger than steel...
It was even very hard to cut.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Ricker,

Welcome to the FF. What are you planning on banding? I assume pallets of lumber. If so will the bands be in direct contact with the lumber? If so how will you prevent rust issues? Fiber looks like it would stretch more but if the wood is green either will loosen as the wood dries and shrinks. If kiln dried this should not be as much of an issue. If you have spacers of some kind keeping the band from direct contact with the wood the rust concerns may be alleviated.

I would think fiber would be cheaper but metal looks like it would be more expensive. I don't currently band anything so I am not an expert - just expressing an off the cuff suggestion. Free advice is worth what you paid for it.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

I've used the 3/4" Kubinec poly strapping.  Bought the banding, buckles, and a simple strapping tool.  No real comparison other than that 40 yrs ago I did use 1/2" steel banding with a roll, cart and banding ratchet/crimper.  Both do the job but the poly seems a little less investment and maybe safer and just as good.

Search on "Kubinec" you'll find 3 threads here.  probably also on "steel strapping" or "steel banding" for some discussion.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

I got the Kubinec recently myself.  It was the cheapest I could find.  So far it does the job, although the simple tool I got with it leaves more to be desired
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ricker.  The only experience that I have is with ULINE products, and they work very well.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

we use the 5/8 metal banding  :) if its green lumber it cant be left in the stack long enough for rust to matter or it will stain and then rust wont matter ;D :D but i will agree the 1200 buck ratchet/crimp will hurt :-\ they make cheaper ones but not having to keep up with the crimper or buy the sleeves is worth it to me and they will last for years :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

outpost22

I got lucky and a friend bought a storage unit at auction. In it were banding ratchet and crimper. $30.00 later it was mine. I then priced the parts out new and they came to over $400.00  :-[
I use the steel bands.  They seem to do the job. I don't care if my framing lumber gets stained or not.  I don't band my siding (1x) or oak.  The metal banding is expensive, more than I imagined it would be.
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

kderby

The poly strap w/buckles is reusable if you can tie a knot.  It is less money and no issue with stain/rust.  I have dropped bundles of slabs off the forklift forks and it held up to that.  It is a small cost for banding material compared to re-stacking imploded units of lumber or slabs.  The poly can be tightened after the unit has dried or moved and settled.  Try that with steel.

No sharp edges and disposal for the poly is like throwing away string/rope.  The steel sits out in the scrap pile creating a tangled mess.  Steel is what the old timers had before they invented poly.

Whew that was easy.

Mine comes from Continental Western Corp.  3/4 inch and buckles.

Kderby 

longtime lurker

We use both steel and poly strapping.... 90% of the time we use poly, and if I could convince the railways and the government to allow something other then steel we'd be 100% poly, but they likes steel.Poly is just all around easier to live with, and if you get the right grade of strap (Signode High Strength Tenax for example) it's nearly as strong as steel anyway.

Be aware that not all ratchets, clamps and clamping tools are compatible with different grades of strapping material, even in the varying poly and plastics.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ricker!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Seavee

Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

drobertson

Steel banding here,  the rolls vary in price, and go by the pound, last roll ran 100 bucks, the tensionor ran 450 if I remember right, the crimper not that much, the banding will stain the hardwoods, but they don't stay banded long enough to stain from what I've seen, most everyone around here uses the steel banding,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Philngruvy

I use Uline poly strapping.  It is very inexpensive, easy to use, no sharp edges to get cut on.  The used longer pieces can be reused if you are that frugal.  Very easy to dispose of the waste.  No staining.
LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

Deese

Ricker---Welcome to the Forestry Forum  8)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

sandsawmill14

i just checked on the banding tool i have (fromm a337 sealess combination tool)  :o $1495.00 :o i hope the one i have last's a VERY long time  :o  i cant believe they have went up almost 300 bucks in just a few years  :-\

Ricker

Thanks for the info, poly was what I was thinking on getting since I am want to have something for slab wood and the occasional customer that requests it and I figured with all of the experience on the forum you'd steer me in the right direction. 

Ohio_Bill

I use ¾ inch polycord from uline with buckles and there tensioneder tool
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

YellowHammer

I use the heavy green embossed poly "Lumber" banding with serrated crimps for when I don't want things ever coming loose, or I'm transporting stacks on the road.  I also use the 1/2" orange Kubinec buckle bands for when I'm moving pallets of wood around here, or when customers needs a little cordage to tie up their loads.
And sometime I don't use any banding at all. :D   I don't recommend it.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

sandsawmill14

yh  :o im glad i dont do stuff like that ;D more than once a week ::)  but on the bright side you dumped that stack the neatest i ever seen not a board or sticker out of place :D :D :D

Brucer

I used to use steel strapping. I switched to Kubinec 3/4" poly with buckles 7 years ago and found it was far superior to the steel. The U-line product looks like it's just as good.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

paul case

I tried the kubinec strapping and buckles. If you do very much it will save some money to switch to the heavy green and clips, however I have had to go to steel on my slabs. I got tired of rebundling the ones that the varmits had chewed the straps off.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Dewey

Call E.A Buschman Lewiston Maine...  Local Run great service and fair pricing...
I use Polly as well  . I use two different widths...  Lightest for around mill moving and heaviest for over the road shipping...

YellowHammer

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on March 03, 2016, 12:16:56 AM
yh  :o im glad i dont do stuff like that ;D more than once a week ::)  but on the bright side you dumped that stack the neatest i ever seen not a board or sticker out of place :D :D :D
Yeah, banding is one of those things that is very easy to skip, then at the worst time, it will bite you.  I dumped a load off my tractor, a couple years ago, that was banded with the green poly, and the whole pack hit the ground, and not a board moved.  I was able to recover it with minimal effort.

I pick up lots of packs from other businesses, and I know when I see it banded in steel, it will be solid as a rock, same thing with the thick green poly, but when I see it banded in the thin brown 600 poly, it will shift some.  I started using the buckles when I got a few packs with them on, and they seemed to be very solid.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brad_bb

Kubinec 3/4"
Pro's
-Low initial cost for the manual tool
-Very strong and made quite tight with manual tool
-Very portable
-Will not stain wood
-Buckles and straps are usually reuseable lowering your costs. 

Con's
-Is slow to apply when you first start, you will get faster, but slower than a clip that gets crimped like on steel strapping
-Critters(mice) can chew through, but that has only happened to me one time in a stack, so not a concern of mine.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!