iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Paul, I was West of Hammond for two days (Wed. & Thurs.) and yes, the weather was breezy but very nice.  I was sawing Cypress timbers which are shown in the Whatcha Sawin' topic.

Those cabinets are looking terrific.  Pat & I need to make another day trip so that we can stop by and take get a peek.  

I realize that those health issues are distractions, but keep on keeping on.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GRANITEstateMP

fishfighter,

I enjoy watching your progress.  Your creativity amazes me.  Hope you start feeling better.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

fishfighter

Dang Lynn, that was less then an hour from me.

Always, all is good. I have to go back down towards the end of the month. The wife drove back. This trip was a SOB on the neck. Just knew I should of took something along for the ride, but I hate those things. Once I got back home, I popped a few tops. A bit better now. ;D

Briankinley2004

West of Hammond..Must have been Satsuma or Pumpkin Center. I was in Madisonville until Thursday about 30 minutes east of Hammond. Have a boat there. 

fishfighter

Yesterday I was able to spray out the bottom base cabinet.

Still have the island to do. Had very little rain, but today it is going to storm. :(

Rjwassink67

Wow, found this thread a little while ago and just now finished reading it and catching up.  You are doing an amazing job!  With everything going on in your life you have all of my respect.  Keep plugging away.  I'm a few years away before I start my homestead.

fishfighter

Why thank you Sir. With all my troubles in my life, I feel that the Good Lord has blessed me with a good life.

Been laying around the house the last few days. Between my neck and spring pollen kicking my butt for the first time in my life, I just couldn't get out. :( I'm going to try and get out some today and install the draws and doors. ;D Still have to give the island a lite sand and spray it out. Using dust mask, that should help my sinus troubles from getting worse. ;D

fishfighter

Did get out and got a lot done today. 8)

Base cabinets are done other then hardware.

After that, I put a full attack on the island, sanding, cleaning and then spraying. Very happy how it came out. ;D

Bad side of things, I'm short one set of hinges. >:( Just knew I had enough, but didn't. Only bang my head once. Not bad. ;D But both knees are killing me along with my neck. >:( Good thing I don't have to drive the 35 miles to get hinges. My daughter has to go that way tomorrow. ;D

Beer thirty now.

Oh, I am hoping I can get 3-4 strong young men to come help me lift the granite slab that goes on the island. It's an easy 400lbs. :o 

Darrel

Ain't nothin' easy 'bout 400 pounds!

:D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crusarius

Fish, I love the way this project is turning out, the stained glass was a great idea. I would love to help you with that top but the drive is a little further than a weekend trip for me. :) 

After seeing this project I really want to learn how to do stained glass like that.

Keep up the great work.

fishfighter

My daughter did the stain glass. One of her hobbies. It really is not hard to do, but the glass sheets run over $8 for a 12"x12" piece. And yes, the glass really made the cabinets pop. ;D

Still trying to figure a way I can move a 400+ pound slab by myself and lifting it to install it on the island. :D DanG thing is on the front porch. Only have to move it about 30'. :D

Today is yard work day. :( But I also need to do a complete clean up inside the house. Got a bunch of scrap wood that I kept to burn in the woodstove. Now the spring is here, I don't need it. :o It's a cool 40F now, but by 10 am, it will be above 70F with a high of 75+ today. ;D

Crusarius

you probably have enough material left over to make a cart and use a jack to lift it into place?

fishfighter

I do have some roller moving pads that I built to use to move timbers. Problem there is just to lift the slab to get it on the roller pads and keep it balance at the same time. :D Then getting it thru the door way from the porch which is about 5" difference in height. 

Ljohnsaw

I have a really steep driveway and a front door that is recessed into the front of the house.  There is 1 step up to the porch and 1 more into the house.  They backed their PickUp to the door but couldn't get the slab to clear the ceiling on the porch.  So they had to pull forward.  They put it on a material cart but then it wouldn't fit through the door (too tall).  Four guys to handle the 5' x 8' slab for our island.  Then they struggled to get it up on the island.  Don't try to do it yourself!  Too easy to break if it is not supported properly when you are setting it down.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fishfighter

Yesterday I was able to move the slab inside with the help of my wife. ;D Got two sets of moving dolly's. Built a frame to were I could stand the slab on it's side ad lock it in place. With the help of a pry board, I lifted one side up as my wife put blocks under. Then the other side. Slipped the dollies under and locked it in place. Then I built a ramp with different strips of scrap boards and plywood for the thresh hole of the door way. After that, that sucker just rolled in. ;D

From there, got a bunch of blocks, block the wheels on the dollies and lower it down on the blocks. Then I was able to lift one side and my wife add more blocks. Got it better then half way up to the point that two men can lift one end and slide it over the edge of the island. SIL suppose to come by after work today and we will get it installed. ;D

LeeB

Where there is a will, there is a way. Sadly that concept is sorely lacking in today's workforce.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fishfighter

Yep, so true. :( Heck, I just might jack it up higher and slide it on myself. :D But then again with nothing but rain today and thru the weekend, I have a bunch of sanding to do on the wainscoting so I can spray that. :D

Crusarius

its amazing what you can do with a little rigging. I always find myself in that situation where it is impossible to get any help no matter how many times you help other ppl. I have managed to move my vertical steel mill by myself several times. that includes putting it on a trailer and taking it off. Without equipment. It is crazy what you can do when you have to.

Keep up the great work. Don't forget to take breaks when needed.

Magicman

I admire your perseverance and ingenuity my Friend.  Stay safe.  ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: fishfighter on March 16, 2018, 05:19:59 AMSIL suppose to come by after work today and we will get it installed. ;D

How are you going to attach the top?  On my massive island (5x8 ), they first checked it for level and placed some different colored/thickness plastic wafers in the low spots.  When they were satisfied (leaving them in place), they emptied 2 or 3 tubes of silicon caulking in huge gobs all over the plywood.  Then, they lifted and carefully set the slab in place.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fishfighter

I used a 6' level when I built it. Once I moved it into place, I checked the top of the cabinet again. It's true plumb. So, I will for go the plastic tabs. I will place it on top, check to see how it is sitting. From there I plan on lifting it up and put some wood blocks here and there. then pump in silicone. ;D That is how I did the other cabinets that came out all level. ;D

Well, I got one wall of the wainscot done. Only had to do a lite sand. Cleaning and taping around it took more time then anything. :( Sprayed three coats  and I like it. ;D

Magicman

Rjwassink67

Looking great.  Your use of wood looks amazing.  Just the right touches.  I do like the stained glass.

fishfighter

Got that granite slab on top of the island. ;D Bad thing, I didn't have my phone with me to take a picture. :( I will get one of it tomorrow. ;D

Crusarius

Did you end up rigging and doing it by yourself?

Thank You Sponsors!