iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures from Bluestone Lake WV

Started by WV Sawmiller, September 29, 2018, 07:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

We have had a houseguest from Tuscon for 10 days or so and we have been showing her the local area, state parks, etc. She is a birder from the desert so we took her on the lake a couple days ago and again today. She and my wife took pictures both days but today I took my little camera so could show you guys what we typically see there. The water has been up from Hurricane Florence and related weather systems. You can see trash and floating grass 10' up in the trees from a week or so ago where the water was up that much. The fishing is still not where I would be interested but most of the wildlife is still out and about. Things will be even better in a couple weeks or more as the Fall foliage is in the very early stages with most of the color still to come.

Critters we saw today included Great Blue Herons. Little Green herons. Bald Eagles, Canada Geese, Mallard and possibly other types of ducks, Kingfishers, Fox squirrels, Plovers (Killdeer?), Turkey vultures, etc. I was driving the boat and could not photograph lots of the things we saw as my job was to position them. We spent about 6-7 hours on the water and used 7.5 gallons of gas. here are some of my pictures (They are comparable to Evelyn's from Arizona but Becky's, my free lance photographer wife's are light years better). Hope you enjoy as much as I did.

Immature Bald Eagle - probably hatched around Feb 2018

Hard to see against the sky - no white head or tail for several more years.

Local wild grapes - most are already gone.

Very sour, about the size of a buckshot or smaller but great wildlife food.

Plenty of geese on and around the lake and rivers that merge to make it.

A very photogenic old stump - I think maybe walnut

Little Green heron - I love these birds. they remind me of grumpy old men

Mature Bald eagle

We saw at least 4 of these plus the immature and one bird about 2.5 years old - grown but no white on head or tail. This one never left its perch even after we drifted directly under it.

Great Blue heron

I love to watch them fish. I saw one in the Everglades a few years ago swallow a bass I know that weighed over 1.5 lbs.

we probably saw a couple dozen of these guys. If one flies into another's staked out territory there will be an immediate chase given.

Okay, that is all I took today. Every trip is different. We usually see ospreys and white herons which we did not see today.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

DelawhereJoe

You ahould tell her about Bombay Hook National wildlife are here in Delaware, I've seen 22 bald eagles in one spot fishing and eating. They would fly over to a small shallow impoundment catch a small fish then land on the shoreline and eat it. The fall migration will soon be here, I've seen license plates from at least 10 different states.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

WV Sawmiller

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a great place to visit but she is flying home tomorrow. We had a great time sightseeing and visiting. I think almost everything I saw is local and will remain here through the winter. Even the Canada Geese are here year round.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!