iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dealing with State DOTs ......

Started by TexasTimbers, March 01, 2006, 09:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I'd really like to have this osage. That black line running down the vertical length is not wrap-around it's a shadow of a branch. You osage types know how rare this solid, straight, big and tall tree is to be an osage.  At least around here it is.  It's bigger than this picture can portray. No tape with me when I snapped it but it's about 14' tall to the split and about 24" dia.
Thing is, it's in a State of Texas easement. Dealing with state agencies spells red tape. Does anyone have any experinece in this area?
I thought about offering to make a nice bench from the tree and donating to the local State Park if they decide to let me have it. Any other ideas are welcome.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

jon12345

Depends on what kind of easement it is,  where I went to college the college had thousands of acres of land under easement, which meant the public could use it, but the state retained lumber rights.  You might have to find the owner that the state has the easement from.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

TexasTimbers

It's in a ditch alongside a state highway about 25' from the road. I found out who the man in charge is for our region. He said as general rule they don't like to allow it because of the liability, but he would go look at the tree and assess whether or not he thought I had a shot at it because he would have to get it okayed one step up the chain. Sounds like it might be better to pretend I never saw it. :(

Kirk_Allen

What ever you do, make sure you have a game plan for escape when you bring it down.  I have cut quite a few hedge in my day and more often than not, one little branch the size of you finger can hang up and stop it from falling and create quite the chore to get it to come down. 

TexasTimbers

I haven't cut near as much of it as you I'm sure, but enough to know what you are talking about. Part of this tree is slightly tangled in another one. Not much, just enough to make the unwary think "it's no problem". They don't let go like other trees when they hang do they.

Tom_Averwater

Kirk, I thought you liked to climb up in those prickly trees to bring them down . :D
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Cedarman

Most of the osage I have cut had sky hooks. Isn't that the reason they won't fall down?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kirk_Allen

Sky hooks :D :D :D That is one to remember Richard ;D

Tom, I only climb them when there is just no other option ;D 

Kevjay, its those slightly tangled in another one that are the problem.  I kid you not, the size of you finger has been all that stopped some very large osage from coming down.  The stuff is tough as nails and hangs on for dear life. 

The challenge when they hang is something has to give.  So somewhere in that tree top you are going to possibly have a branch break that finally lets it go.  If its another hedge, not as dangerous but if its hanging on other trees without the strength of the hedge, then those snapped branches are coming down and normally its not near the stump.  Its on the outer edges of where we tend to run to safety.

I had one hang on another couple trees and had to physicaly climb the stupid thing and play monkey to get it down.  I dont suggest that.  That was in my stupid days....................a few months ago. ;D

Ed

IMHO Kevjay, if that tree is in good health, it should be left alone.
It's basically on public property,  there for everyone to enjoy as they drive by.

Ed

Jeff

I gotta agree with Special Ed's assessment.

I have trees that I drive by all of the time that I love to see and drool over. We have one down Old U.S. 27  we call the nose tree, there is one on U.S 127 I call the burl tree, just a couple among many that we have commited to memory and look forward to seeing. Many have been pictured here on the forum. I would be downright peeved if I found out that someone got permission from the state to cut these trees because of the value or uniqueness. Any reason other then disease or safety would be unconscionable.  Unique trees that are visible from our highways and byways that are owned by the state or federal government belong to all of us.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Some time back I had noticed some trees that were marked for removal by a governmental agency I won't name. I approached them about removing them in exchange for the logs. No deal, they wouldn't even think about it.  :-\
About a month later I received a call from some one else in the same agency asking me to bid on the removal of the same exact trees.  ::)

Worked out great, got my logs and got paid well to take them.  8)  8)  8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

dewwood

Chet, I am sure you felt somewhat remorseful and gave a nice contribution to that same agency.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

chet

remorseful   ???  youbecha  smiley_smug01
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

TexasTimbers

Ed,

I agree with you in general. In fact, there are trees I'd like to have in town I would never even think to ask about, even though in this good 'ol boy network that still exists here, I would have a pretty good shot at getting them. But they are just too high profile. To pretty. Too old etc. Part of the town right off the square the one that really pops into mind.
But regardless of this osage being only 25 feet off the Farm to Market Road, it is definately not high profile. I have two buddies that live on that road. One, right smack dab across from it, and incredulous as this may sound to you he has never even noticed this tree. It is sort of in a line of other tress along the fence row and just doesn't stick out like that picture portrays it.
I have been driving down this road since I moved back here in '85 and I didn't notice it til last month. I have been developing an eye for osage or else I wouldn't have noticed then either!
My other buddy has lived 2 miles down the road since the 70s when they moved from NY State.
When I had talked to him last week/week before and asked him if old Fran (name changed to protect the innocent) owned that big Osage across the street from JonDoe (again to protect the innocent) he didn't know what I was talking about. I forgot they don't call 'em osage here I just got into the habit since being on the Fourm. Anyway after I said "Bodark" he said there are a million bodatk around there how am I going to know which one you are talking about. "That biggest Bodark I have ever seen." He still didn't know and had been driving past it for 30 years.
Now, probably not 100 people go down that road a day, but I realize that even if one single person gets a thrill out of seeing that tree then a case could be made it has intrinsic value for the public domain.
But if that is the standard used I bet many sawyers on this board need to replant some trees.
I can think of no nobler purpose for God's handiwork to be admired and looked at, but in this case, the tree simply does not stand out to anyone's attention.
Besides, Bois D' Arc is considered trash around here. People just don't look at it and yhink "waht a magnificient tree" No except covetous sawyers maybe, and no other sawyer in the county cuts the stuff but me.
Well you probably think I'm disagreeing with you but I'm not. I agree that we shouldn't cut trees on public property that have visual appeal in high profile areas where alot, or even less than alot, of passersby see them.
this tree simply doesn't fit that bill.
It's probably all moot anyway. I seriously doubt I will get permission.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, though I assure you I do consider it before I go after a tree.

Thank You Sponsors!