iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Beefy topic concerning the unsuspected actions of a member

Started by Jeff, March 02, 2006, 07:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I needed a good title because I wanted to share my supper. ;D

A couple days ago UPS shows up at my door with a package. Having no idea what it might be I dug in.  Boy! What a surprise!  One of our Michigan members,Dana, sent Tammy and Stacy and I a perfect gift.  FOOD! :D   Dana has a farm in a beautiful part of Michigan and raises naturally grown, grass fed beef. He has a website that I have explored several times. www.greenleaffarms.net

We are not the ultimate cookers of steak, but this turned out to be one of the best we had ever eaten! I am sold on grass fed beef! I know Dana didnt do this for the attention. I KNOW he did it in appreciation of having the forum available to him. How do I know? Because I KNOW it was not because he looked at me and thought that I could use more to eat. :D

I wanted to share some photos and I bet they might make your mouth water. Thanks Dana again for all the generosity that went into that package, and also thanks to Tammy and Stacy for cooking a great meal!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom_Averwater

He who dies with the most toys wins .

crtreedude

Hmmm, Steak.... (Where is a drooling emoticon when you need one?)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

oakiemac

Yeah who needs corn fed beef anyways? I like that grass fed critters best, especially the ones with (or without) antlers. ;D

But it looks like Dana has provided some good chow!
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Jeff B on March 02, 2006, 07:57:59 PM
.......and I bet they might make your mouth water.

Ya think? I just got home, showered, and thought I'd check the puter while supper got cooked. Didn't think I'd find it on the Forum 8)

You look like ya know how to cook 'em right to me. Pan fried smothered in onions and shrooms.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

wiam

We put a grassfed in the freezer about a month ago.   One half went right into burger.  We got a Ronco rotisserie for Christmas.   Steaks come out of there really juicy.

Will

Jeff

I was wishing I had Tom and his cooking fire up here, but Tammy and Stace did a bang up job. If you have ever been lucky enough to eat beef that Mr. Tom cooks over his open far, (<southern spelling ;D) You will never eat another steak without thinking about it.

UNCLEBUCK

I have ate many steaks in many places of the country and the steak I eat from a big chain restaurant tastes blah ! I can tell if the feedlot it came from fed the beef cottonseed hulls or other junk !  Grass fed beef is mucho fantastico ! Dana for president !  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Dana

Glad to hear your family enjoyed them!  8) 8) 8) Don't forget it's healthy to. ;)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Tom

My Goodness, Tammy, you did those up right.  Just looking at them in the picture makes my mouth water.  :)

Texas Ranger

Uh, boss?  I know you are navel deep in snow right now, but that was an insult to that cow.  An open grill is the only way, we had hoped that the trip to Florida would change your yankee ways some, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you had to go and pan fry that lovely beef. :'(

DanG, but it still looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Wildflower

On the grill is the best but the snow was to deep to get to the grill so I did the next best thing. ;D
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

barbender

Them steaks looked real good.  I could almost taste em just lookin at the picture!!
Too many irons in the fire

boboak

We run a few cows here at home.  Well water,mother's milk,alfalfa hay, and pasture grass is all they ever eat.  There just isn't any comparison to store-bought,feed-lot raised cattle,fed with hot feed and full of growth hormones...not in flavor and not in texture.  We don't market our beef but usually sell at auction. We occasionally sell a steer or two to friends for slaughter and they're amazed at the difference between our beef and store-bought.  When we go out to dinner we usually have seafood or chicken...we're too spoiled by our own beef.   Cut a few trees, raise a few cows...we'll never be rich but we'll be warm in the winter and never go hungry.
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

crtreedude

Down here, almost everything is grass fed. The meat tends to be a little tough because people don't age it at all - but we age it some (and use a tenderizing marinade as well) and it is more than just fine!  8)

Very lean meat - almost no fat. Free-Range chickens are wonderful in my opinion too.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

Good News Don Staples! After a couple warm sunny days, I think I found our back deck and the grill! 8)

SwampDonkey

We were always happy with local meat from the butcher, but on occassion we'de get some tough meat. I can even remember when the beef in the coop store was local and they cut it behind in the cooler. This stuff in the store sprayed on the surface to look fresh cut, doesn't fool me. Just take a pinch off the surface and see it brown inside. I know it's 'suppose' to be safe, but there was a local grocer that was known to mix what didn't sell in with fresher stuff.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

Y'all save a lot of money on refridgeration, do ya?

4 in the afternoon on saturday, 76 degrees, blue sky, birds chirping, grass growin, teenagers ruttin, just another day in the south. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mike_van

Ah yes, Texas Ranger - But soon it will be a hundred & change  in the Lone Star state - and 70F here -  :)   Jeff, thanks for the photos, I drooled on the keyboard -  Need lots of meat up here to stay warm -  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Lud

Good looking steaks.  Grass fed beefs's good.  Years ago,  Dad got a couple young bulls, intending to castrate and waited a little too long and no one wanted to try....  so we kept them in the barn , kinda quiet,  and fed 'em corn almost exclusively.

Man,  that was some meat wit some flavor!!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Dana

Anyone see that report on T.V. the other day, about the use of carbon monoxide :( being used to keep the meat looking fresh? It seem that the gas dosen't allow the meat to darken, thereby you dont know when it has turned. The pro gassers were saying thats no problem just smell it. What about those who have poor sensory organs? The old or those with a cold? :o
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

TexasTimbers

I thought we had gotten some snow when I pulled onto the sawmill patch yesterday ......

Turns out Dusty (short for his actual name Sawdusty) had decided to shred his Dallas Cowgirl football ....

Sort of an appropriate image for the Cowgirls current state of affairs :(
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!