iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 170 carburetor

Started by Caloren, March 14, 2017, 10:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caloren

My MS 170 has a Zama carb with no H or L adjustments. I would like to find one with adjustments but all I can find [ adjustable] are Walbro, which doesn't look like it will fit exactly. For one thing it doesn't have the air snorkle/compensator or what ever it's called.
Am I just stuck with what I've got?
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

joe_indi

The economical alternative is to buy a carb jet or two and experiment with a suitable pin to make the hole bigger. The 180 has a similar carb and I did this to compensate after opening up the muffler

dougand3

Never dealt with a snorkle carb but guess it is a clean air vent for the metering diaphragm. 95% + of carbs don't have it. Is the MS170 design prone to packing sawdust in the small metering plate vent on most carbs? I doubt it.
I'd try a Walbro with both H-L screws. I'd bet throttle & choke linkages would be the same. The impulse and mounting holes will be the same. Put electrical or duct tape over the air filter box snorkle hole.
Another possibility: Will the Zama metering plate fit properly on the Walbro?
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

ButchC

What you want is a WT-215 Walbro. This is the carb for a 021- 023 etc. You will have to swap the cover plate that has the air filter restriction compensator port over on to the new carb.  Ebay is a good place to buy them.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Caloren

Thanks guys  8) Decided to buy the Walbro and play with it.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

ButchC

I should have added that there is some slight rework on ok the wt-215 to make it work. Here is another one that is supposed to be a direct bolt on and probably an easier swap.
https://www.amazon.com/STIHL-MS170-MS180-Carburetor-Chainsaw/dp/B00CMOBTDE
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

CJKaz

I'm looking into this as well.  There are several detailed write-ups on the WT-215 carb & the modifications necessary.  A Google search should find them.  If you want, PM me & I can send the links that I discovered.

Thank You Sponsors!