iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red oak burl

Started by metalspinner, December 14, 2005, 11:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

This is a red oak burl I came acros this summer.  I had been driving past it for years just to look at it growing in this guy's yard.  You can imagine my surprise the day I drove by and the tree growing out of it was cut down.  I pulled in to ask about it and the guy said I could have it if I turned him a bowl out of a piece.  8)   I offered him some money, but he wouldn't have it.  He will be recieving many nice items made from this burl. :) :) :)

On the stump...

Bark peeled off a quaretr of it...

Close up of figure...

The stump in the top pic is over four feet wide.  I screwed up the picture ratio's on the optimizer.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Max sawdust

Big Burl :o
Thanks for the pictures.  Look forward to seeing some of the things you make out of it.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

iain

WDH

8) 8) 8) 8)

Eh voila!

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Cool! It's nice to see a project go full circle.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Then buy it at the Forestry Forum E-bay auction!!  Three days left ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Unless "red oak burl" is a specified transmission part, not in the budget. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

metalspinner

Those were the first pics I optimized with XAT.  Yikes!  They look out of wack. :D :D

That burl has seen alot of milage.  Still have plenty left. 

Here are some better optimized pics...

Here are a couple of projects...

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dodgy Loner

Nice to see the pics of where that wood came from, ms.  It's also great to see what you've made from it!  Looks like you'll be getting a lot of mileage out of that burl.  I know I had fun turning my piece :)!  It's a lot easier to make spectacular bowls when nature's already done the hard part for you ;D.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Spectacular is right ;D!!!!.

Spectacular people and spectacular wood 8) 8).

Thank You Sponsors!