iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The saw/hay shed that was.

Started by Haytrader, May 27, 2008, 04:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haytrader

The last couple months we have been erecting a saw/hay shed just about 50 yds. from our house. The deminsions were 37'x120' with the north side and west end closed in leaving the east end (saw shed) and south open. Here is a picture or two of us putting the tin on. I built a scaffold to slip on my pallet forks which was handy as can be. I had a portable welder in it and as you can see, it lifted the metal up to roof level. The bales are 4'x4'x8' to give you a size comparison.
We put the last screw in the trim at about 2:30 PM last Friday and this is what happened at about 10 PM the same night.
A twister undid in a few seconds what it took a lot of sweat to do.
Kinda took the wind out of my sails, if you know what I mean.
Haytrader

Dave Shepard

:o :o :o :o :o

Sorry to hear see the bad news. I hope nobody got hurt.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Faron

Pretty disheartening, isn't it?  Is that building close to your home?  You guys are having a real tough time with twisters, for sure.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Tom

What did you do wrong, Haytrader? :-\

Haytrader

In the before pictures you can see the east side of our home. Mrs. Haytrader had her head stuck out the sliding patio door when it hit.
She jumped back and I asked what scared her. She replied "Somthing really big just crashed"
And yeah, it really sucks.
Tom.......a friend from Az. told me (after seeing the pics) I didn't tamp the poles good enough.
Haytrader

Mrs. Haytrader

Notice that haytrader said that HE didn't tamp the poles good enough ... not ME .....  :o

mike_van

Insurance I hope?  That would take a little of the pain away. Really sad, a lot of work gone there.  
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Larry

After all that hard work, to see it disappear in a few seconds has to be heartbreaking.  I feel for both Mr and Mrs Haytrader.

Sis lives a ways west of ya and mentioned the abnormal number of flying barns this past weekend.  Weird weather patterns this year.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ellmoe

That's really tough.  :(  Sometimes after those character building events I think, "Who needs this much character!". Glad you'all were safe though.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Haytrader

Quote from: mike_van on May 27, 2008, 05:23:38 PM
Insurance I hope?  That would take a little of the pain away. Really sad, a lot of work gone there.  
Mike,

That is "The Rest Of TheStory". At 4:30 on Friday, the day of the storm, Mrs. Haytrader asked if I had thought about insurance. I told her I had. She said "Why don't you call our agent"?.
I replied "Do you think there will be anyone in the office at 4:30 on Friday since it is also Memorial weekend?"
She gave me that look so I called. After discussing the value of the building and contents, she said she would work up a quote. She left a message on the machine saying she bound coverage.
We are waiting on the adjuster. And Mrs. Haytrader is really proud of herself. And so am I.
Haytrader

ARKANSAWYER

That is a good thing but you will never hear the last of it,  Yep! you listened and it payed off.  Now when you balk she will remind you of this event.  Glad you and yours is OK and that you had your ears open when that fine woman spoke to you this time. 

ARKANSAWYER

Tom

Thank goodness you got covered!  That still means a lot of lost effort. Your plight makes me wish I could make it better.  If I lived closer, I'd try.  Swinging a hammer would be out of the question, but I can drive a tractor.  I'll be thinking of you. :)

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Don K

Man,! That would make a tear run down my face. I am sorry for the loss after your hard work. At least you are covered.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

Wow Haytrader, that is unfortunate.  These tornados are really bad this year, especially out your way, but here as well.  Sorry to hear that you got hit. 

Keep your head up.  This is just a little pothole in the road.  At least it was the roof and not you and Mrs. Haytrader.  I am happy that you are safe.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

zopi

That sucks...sorry for the trouble.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

sawmilllawyer

Sorry about the barn and all of the lost blood, sweat and effort to erect it. But I suspicion you  will rebuild. Good thang you listened to Mrs. Haytrader, eh? Guess it is like Dad always said: insurance aint worth a *DanG until you need it. Most of all you and your loved ones are safe and well, the barn can be rebuilt. I am truely sorry for your loss. Andy
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

brdmkr

I'm glad you are not hurt.  Things can be replaced.  You were truly blessed that you were covered.  Don't let it get you down.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

John_Haylow

Sorry for your loss and all that hard work. At least no one was hurt and you made that phone call.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Faron

50 yds. from our house.

Is that building close to your home?  Faron

Well, duh!  Looks like I could at least read!  Bad as it is, no one was hurt, and your home was spared.  Apparently tornadoes like new sawbuildings. ::)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Haytrader

Yes, we are VERY fortunate. Our home was not damaged at all and our  trucks came through allright as well.
TJ was leaning out the slider and could very well have been sucked away, but wasn't.
Oh yes, we are counting our blessings.
There are many others who haven't faired as well. Less than 60 miles from here a young couple stopped along the highway due to heavy rain. Another car saw them pull over and did the same. When the rain let up and the second car could see, they noticed the first car was gone and assumed they had simply driven on. The car was found in a nearby field. The man was dead in the car and his wife's body found nearby. Authorities said they were both wearing seatbelts.
Haytrader

easymoney

i used to think that tornadoes mostly liked trailer parks. but now it looks everyone is fair game. we had a tornado come through near us in february. i could not believe how violent it was. destroying everything in its path.

Left Coast Chris

Haytrader........ not trying to be a wise guy but.........Im curious, what is the history behind your town's name (Protection, Kansas)?    The name sounds like maybe you are suposed to have less tornadoes not more.....eh?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Roxie

I'm so sorry about all your hard work....gone in an instant.  It's great about the insurance coverage, but that won't put back your piece of mind.  We're just so glad that you and the missus weren't injured. 

Like Tom said, I wish I lived closer and we could help ya put her back. 

Did you lose any of your saw equipment? 
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!