iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drillin an 18.5" post for 2 . 1" pins/bolts

Started by Sedgehammer, June 17, 2022, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

We made a knife plate , now will attempt to saw the mortise with the chain saw . I seen some of you guys had made a wooden framed 'drill press' and I have taken pictures of it so I wood remember , ha !

My helper guy wants to use the precut holes in the knife plate as a guide to mark on the outside , then cut . I told him $#*& no

What size home you drill for a 1" pin/bolt ?

Thanks
Necessity is the engine of drive

Don P

It sucks but I prefer drilling thru a blank knife plate embedded in the post, while I'm drilling thru the post. Face reality, if you drill aiming at the hole hidden inside, you are wallowing the hole in the wood to make it line up for a pin. If he does get to the 1" hole, I hope he has a clutched drill and no body parts in the way.

Sedgehammer

@Don P  I didn't tell it to him exactly like that , but yeah , that'
s what wood happen and happen quick , fast and in a hurry

what do you use as a guide ? My guy said to take 2 squares and make sure while drilling the drill stays in line with those 2 squares . Said he done 15" posts like that and they turned out fine . Not sure i trust 2 people holding squares while his 65 year-old eyes keep it all in alignment 

Don P

That sounds like experience.

If it's ballpark critical I hang a ring of keys on the shank of the drill. Use your eye down the bit for left/right and the forward/rear drift of the keys for level. When I'm drilling through a knife plate all in one go I just drill it by eye and keep expanding the hole. I've got 12 posts worth to do at work.

Sedgehammer

@Don P Oh , you drill them upright . Good idea on the key rings . We are lag screwing the plate to the bottom and then will drill it while it's vertical 

Thank You Sponsors!