iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time to revive another tired piece of iron!

Started by bushmechanic, November 04, 2018, 11:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmechanic

Ready to rebuild a 172 Ford Diesel for a 1964 C3 Treefarmer, just waiting on some parts now.

sandersen

Wow!  Nice project! That's well worthwhile, BM. Those little skidders are fun restores. Enjoy!
"Make every step count."

Autocar

Wish I had your knowledge I tackle things I probably shouldn't but what a way to learn and it is a lot of fun ! Thanks for scharing.
Bill

larry12

I operated that same machine in the 70's and it pulled good !! ---it's great your giving her a new life !!

longtime lurker

Those old 172's were a truly great engine... simple, reliable, cheap to run. I had a boat with a pair of 2722 Lehmans in her  - same block but marine/industrial rated version - that never missed a beat, and we've still got a Ford 4000 tractor with the same 172 power unit thats been faultless for 30 odd years.

Rebuild it now and given reasonable care it should be still ticking over in 2050.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Flyingpig

logman81

Looks good I'm in the process of fixing/restoring my c4b.
Precision Firewood & Logging

terry f

Nice job, I have basically the same machine only gas, not much power, but it will spin the wheels 

bushmechanic

Well it seems it's going to be hard to get the right parts to do the job! I ordered the parts from a local supplier, at the time I needed two .030 oversize pistons (for a diesel) and he assured me that he could still get them....fast forward to the day the parts arrived and pistons for a gas engine arrived with the .030 diesel rings and a complete gasket set for a gas 172. >:( Now he is not sure he can find the diesel pistons. I'd use my old ones but two of them are destroyed. Oh well I guess she's going to have to be put out in the waiting room of the doctor's office! :D Thanks for all the comments guy's I hope some of my projects may help someone else.

longtime lurker

I had a quick look with my local go to supplier for ford ag/industrial parts and well... see the note about oversize pistons at the bottom of the page for yourself:

Bare Co - Engine Kits: Ford 4 Cylinder Models

Yesterdays Tractor out of Seattle? (I think) are showing the 172 rebuild kit with oversize pistons in stock though: 

Ford 4000 Overhaul Kit, 172 Diesel - 172DK

Yanno its things like this where you just got to shake your head. Two reputable suppliers, two different kits, one tells you one thing one says another. *headdesk headdesk headdesk*
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

logman81

Hang in there someone must have the correct parts somewhere.  I too have the gas version and I actually like it. Yes may not be the most powerful thing but that saves from breaking parts.

mike_belben

You have a desk LL?   That must be nice.  Its a milk crate and headphone for me most days.  

;D
Praise The Lord

bushmechanic

Ahh Mike you make me laugh! I bet you work a lot in god's garage too lol 

mike_belben

Yeah its the only one i got for now.   Lord willin i live long enough to headdesk it one day. 
Praise The Lord

bushmechanic

Well a big thanks to a very talented machinist buddie of mine I'm back underway to rebuilding the Ford 172! I had .040" oversized pistons on hand so he turned those down to .030". Dropped the crank in and loaded up all the pistons, hopefully get at her again tomorrow night.

mike_belben

Did the oem pistons have a taper to the OD?  If so did he turn them straight or tapered? 

Im not sure on diesels but gassers have a few thou smaller OD at the top than the skirts to allow for expansion so they dont sieze.  Hate to see it lock up on you.
Praise The Lord

bushmechanic

Yes Mike you are correct the piston's were tapered and also oval as they went down the skirt. Hopefully they will work but my buddie miked the crap out of them before he started as I figured they were cam ground. Anyway I got the piston and rods into her last night, now off to work for the day....this working for a living sure gets in the way of projects :D.  

mike_belben

I didnt even think of an oval, the skirt tangs flared out going downward?  Thatd be a pain to setup for turning in.  id mic'em and dykem and belt sand oh my. 
Praise The Lord

bushmechanic

Well I finally got around to finishing up the old Ford engine. Got a few more odds and ends to clue up on her before it hits the woods, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

sandersen

Sweet!!!  Nice job BM. That'll be a treat to twitch out some timber with. Love those old little skidders!
"Make every step count."

thecfarm

Looking forward to seeing some wood behind it!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

old-iron-habit

Quote from: bushmechanic on January 13, 2019, 12:51:14 PM
Well I finally got around to finishing up the old Ford engine. Got a few more odds and ends to clue up on her before it hits the woods, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Nice job. Just a piece of general information that might help somebody in the future. There are two different 172 blocks with matching heads. I do not remember the serial number change but they normally were noted as early or late engines. Not many early ones left. The head and block must be from the same series. There is one water port that does not match correctly if mixed and they will overheat at anything over a idle. I once put a new model head gasket in an old model engine and what a time I had figuring that one out. Always check to make sure all ports match when setting a head on them.

logman81

Great job looks good. looks alot like my c4b.

Gary Davis

love the 172 desiel it pulls  real good and very easy on fuel 

bushmechanic

Finally got a chance to haul some wood with the old girl today. Even got the young feller to try her out! We got her nicknamed "smokey".

Thank You Sponsors!