iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Land Clearing Advice Needed!

Started by SMLWinds, August 02, 2016, 06:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed_K

I don't know if they even make root plows anymore, in the early 80s I work for a construction co, in TX. where we used a d7 with a root plow on the back and a 12' root rake on the blade. All the big trees were cut and gone but 6" and down were left. We ran the root plow up and back enough times to create 100' cut, then rake the debris to 50' windrows. Back then we could burn so the windrows were then piled and burned.
We did full sections for wheat fields. Then I got to level,build terrace's and waterways.
Ed K

killamplanes

I cleared about 60 ac anything from brush to 100+yr old hardwood 40in trees. With a ih175c highlift an oldie but in near mint condition. Part time and seasonally as time allowed probly had 3-500 hours in it. Loved what I did etc. Been farming it now for 3yrs wit good crops corn, beans. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Did at my pace the way I wanted it and doubled the value of land atleast. I went from a nice u/c to an old undercarriage,  I used my brothers track hoe probly 30 hours which helped alot. Anyway  I had great luck my pace my equipment my land. But I don't have expensive  equipment just good clean equipment.  Nor do i view myself as a premium  operator, but learned alot from the original 60ac and bought another 40 and finished it this spring. Dozer gettin tired
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Bill Saf

ppine

If it were my land, I would leave some of the forest for shade, windbreak and wildlife habitat.

Log it, then clear it and be patient. In your climate, a lot of the slash and stumps will rot pretty fast. Get some info to see if it is legal to burn slash piles.  Good luck.
Forester

SMLWinds

Thanks for all the help and advice. It seems like the tried and true method is excavator and dozer to clear land. With that said, I keep getting advocates for mulchers that are soil tillers (ie-those that go below grade and act like a giant tiller).

Before I proceed with anything, I want to learn more about the mulching/tilling options. I know Fecon makes a soil hog that can go up to 20" below grade. What other brands of mulching heads will go below grade? What are your thoughts on those attachments?

While I realize an excavator and dozer are more versatile, I can easily buy the mulcher to clear the land and then just sell it or, more likely, just keep it and buy a big excavator and dozer as I need them a few years down the road.

Thanks for the help!

Piston

I like your ambition and attitude.   ;)  I think if I were in your financial situation I would do the exact same thing! 

I think this advice below, is the best advice so far.  Once you think you have a great idea of what you want to buy, rent it for a week and try it out.  It will be money well spent, you may realize you need something bigger.  Once you are happy with the equipment, head to the "toy" store and purchase what you need. 
Quote from: jdonovan on August 04, 2016, 05:59:25 AM

You should be able to find a local rental yard where you can get a similar sized ex- for a 1 week rental. Try it out, and if you can't get the average stump out in < 2 minutes, its probably too small of a machine. My experience says you'll probably do 75% of the work with the ex, and 25% with the dozer. You probably want to own the ex, but you may be able to work for a month with the ex, and then hire in a dozer for a week and do all your pushing work, and then go back to digging.

Please keep us posted on what you decide!  By the way, I like your comment on clearing 1 acre 600 times.  In a realistic sense, it's easier to comprehend, and doing one acre at a time gives you a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.  Like they say...brick by brick. ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!