iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting a garden with a chainsaw (pictorial)

Started by Jeff, May 24, 2008, 12:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

That is awesome.  Makes me really want a mill!

Norm

Jeff

I have a couple Roma, a couple beefsteak tomato and one cherry tomato plant, Spanish cucumbers and some leaf lettuce.  The cucs and tomatoes are planted on the north edges of the boxes so I can trellis them without shading the other plants.  I have some cilantro, oregano, sweet and tai basil, curly parsley planted as well.   I have 6 different sweet and bell peppers planted. Red green and yellow.  I didn't plant any hot peppers as Burlkraft has supplied me with enough of his special dried hot pepper spice mix to end the world's energy crisis. I have some celery and onions planted for green onion.  I have interplanted some marigold and dwarfed ornamental cabbages and a couple other low growing flowers to keep any bugs confused I hope.

I havnt had a garden in twenty years. I hope this one does OK.  Since I'm doing all the cooking now, I wanted some fresh stuff for later in the summer. :)

Norm

I just started using raised beds a couple of years ago and really like them. It is so much easier to take care of and I think the plants do better in them. Mine have much the same as yours Jeff.

Dan_Shade

what kind of bag do you have on your sawdust chute, and how much will it hold?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Thats a bio-mizer dust bag.  The bag will hold a lot more then the sawdust shoot will.  I sawed thatone log up and thats about all it would have took. I needed to dump the bag at that point as it started to drag on the ground.

SwampDonkey

I kinda gave up on the gardening a couple years ago because there was way too much stuff for one fellow to eat. And most neighbors here don't garden or want much to do with coming and picking it. But those raised beds are a great idea for someone wanting a little bit of gardening and a lot less work. The old garden got too much to tend on top of mowing 1.5 acres of grass, by hand, after cutting brush all week.  ::)

Seed is too darn high now for a thimble full and often times not even that many grams worth.  Let's see, $20 for the onion sets versus $10 for a years supply at the grocery. For me personally, the balance sheet looks like red figures on the bottom line.  :-X  :(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

Is it like a burlap sack, jeff?

i was going to rig up a bucket to catch the sawdust, but I like your method just as well....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Dan, its not burlap. Its just like one of those white elevator grain bags. I'm not sure if they are nylon or polypropylene  or exactly what, but they are woven and breathable. Sawdust can dry while its in them.   I simply pulled it up over the chute and put an elastic bungi around the top.  When the bag gets to full, it pulls down off the cute.

Don P

That's a nice garden  8)
Michelle made a couple of planter boxes for the assisted living home that were a bit taller and had a 2x12 "bench" around them at the top of the outside wall. They've been a hit with the folks there.

WildDog

God looking setup Jeff, your Tomatos will appreciate the raised beds, I see you have Marrigolds for companion planting, should keep some bugs away.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Tom Sawyer

I thought you were going to show the process of clearing land for a garden like they did 200 years ago:D  Those beds look great. 8)

Tom

Kevin

I thought he was starting a J.Browning garden.  :D

Ironwood

We did raised beds for a while. The moisture tends to quickly wick away. We ended ling the inside of the locust 2x12's with old mine belting (this helped). We also used HEAVY 4x4 x1/2" angle at the corners to hold them together. Looks good.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

I have been using raised beds too, especially for tomatoes, but since they have to be rotated down here from year to year due to nematodes and fusarium wilt, it is a problem. 

I really like those beds Boss.  Gardens are a whale of a lot of work, but the quality of the food is worth it.  My wife usually cans 70 - 100 quarts of squash each year.  Green beans, cucumber pickles, and we chop and freeze green and red bell peppers.  I also put up several quarts of jalapeno peppers.  We eat fresh okra until the first frost in November.

We have some eggplant this year.  Will eggplant grow there?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Looks good Jeff. 8) At least you have a defined garden, not the sprawling weed patch I've been growing the last couple of years. ::) I like fresh veggies, 'cuz they taste better, and they are free (cheap?). 8) 8)

WDH, an eggplant parm grinder that's done up right is DanG tasty! Almost had one today, but got a turkey panini instead. food6

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

WDH, how about posting your wife's canning of yellow sqaush, if it is yellow squash she is putting up.  I've never been able to put it up fresh and squash are rather prolific.  When I plant them, I always overdo it.

I've heard of canning stewed squash but just haven't done it.

WDH

Sure.  She learned it from my Mother.  It is good to have the squash in the winter, but nothing tastes as good as fresh squash.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

I have two next to the house for stuff like peppers and herbs.

I have this one for fresh greens such as spinach loose leaf lettuce and bok choy. As it goes to seed I'll replant it into different salad fixings.

Dave Shepard

Nice grain pattern in that bottom board, white oak? :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Norm

It is Dave. I had some logs that I felt were too old to saw so I just threw the log on the deck and after knocking off the sides sawed it through. Sure enough there were some beautiful q-sawn boards in it.

WDH

A guy shows us his nice raised bed garden, and what do we notice?  The wood the bed is made from :).

There is absolutely no hope at all ::).

By the way Norm, nice garden ;D.

Dave Shepard

zopi

Mel Bartholomew is proud of you guys..lol

I've got an eighth of an acre plus a couple of beds planted..everything from the standard
corn beans and squash to Japanese soybeans, beets and asparagus and (count 'em) five
varieties of potatoes...and the garden is expanding..we're thinking of a tropical hothouse
heated and cooled by a rudimentary ground source heat pump...the idea of fresh veggies yar around appeals...and probably a big tank of tilapia for good measure...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!