iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this shake

Started by brdmkr, May 02, 2007, 08:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I recently came accross some heart pine.  I didn't really pay much attention to it, but yesterday I was just looking at it and noticed some ring seperation.  If it is shake, can I expect to get anything worth having from these logs.

Here is the larger of the logs (appprox 30")

Here is the second log.

There were 6, 10 foot logs.  Another fellow took the butt log.  It was over 32" in diameter.  It will be a shame if there is not much that can be salvaged from these.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Fla._Deadheader

I wouldn't exactly call that shake  ::) More like end checking with a little separation. What I call shake, is, a ring that's definitely seperated while growing.

That should make some fine lumber. Box that heart ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

I'd agree with FDH
Normal end checking from drying through the exposed end grain. As the wood dries, it shrinks. Would have helped some to anchorseal the ends when fresh cut. Now, probably lose 6-10" of wood on each end.
The sooner the better for sawing the logs after cutting, in case anyone believes the old wives tales that a log should "cure" before sawing.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

I would say that there is a little bit of shake down by the heart.  It probably doesn't run that far.  The drying has made it appear worse than it is.  The rest are end checks and run radially.

Shake that causes problems are in the mid section of the logs.  They can run the whole length of the log and will appear on both ends.  Shake doesn't necessarily go around the entire ring. 

Shake seems to be prevalent in certain species in an area.  Some species won't have any, others it will seem like every log is suspect. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

brdmkr

I should have sealed the logs.  I have achorseal, but I have never really bothered to seal pine.  In this case, that may have been a mistake.  Hopefully, I will not have lost much lumber.  Of course, 6 - 10 inches off each end is a heap of bdft when dealing with logs this size and heart pine :(
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Fla._Deadheader

I'd just take a couple inches at a time. No sense in wasting the stoopid way
;D ;D  :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

thecfarm

This is shake.The sraight mark is from a chainsaw.Bigger than 28"for pulp,so it had to be split.This hemlock is over 75 years old.Hemlock is known for it shake around here.The other end looked alot better.This was the only one that came out like this.He only cut about 10 trees.I wanted the rest left for me to build with.I have seen it in some of my logs that you could seperate the rings.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

solidwoods

I vote "red heart" disease.
Definitely not ring shake
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Ron Wenrich

I vote for shake.  I can't find anything on "red heart disease".  It might be something used to describe shake.  Don't know.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

brdmkr

I have never really seen a log with red heart, but I have seen a lot of standing trees.   It causes older pines to rot from the inside.  It is thought critical to red cockaded woodpeckers (an endangered species) as it helps the bird excavate a cavity.  These logs are solid.  They just seem to have some ring seperation.  I don't know when I'll get to mill them to find out.  I suppose I need to make that a priority.

DanG

I sawed one that looked like that last week.  About a foot on each end was too far gone, and the outter 2-3 inches was spongy, but there was good lumber in the middle.  It was from a standing dead tree.  There was another, fresher log in the same batch that was rotten in the middle.  I got very little out of it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

inspectorwoody

I would agree to the first picture being severe end checking...might be some shake by the heart as already stated.

The other pic in my opinion is to hard to tell exactly what it is.

Anchor seal works awesome...I applied it to some upper grade Walnut logs I had and they kept for some time as I slowy put together a good jag to make it worth the mills time to come and pick them up.

Jeff

Thats what the picture in post one is I am sure, is severe check from drying , cfarm's pic is surely shake. We had to deal with butt check this past weekend as well, only on a grander scale. This is what 50 years of drying will get ya...

:)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

inspectorwoody

Now that I look at that pic again I think yer right Jeff  ;) Reminds me of shake in R.Oak...Get close to it and it all starts falling apart. We have great waste when we saw R.Oak. We have had to tighten up on the cants and 3com lumber as we have had complaints it is just too bad.

Thank You Sponsors!