iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

temp shelter for bandsaw

Started by diesel pap, October 29, 2013, 11:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diesel pap

what is some ideas on temp shelter when using my new sawmill and leaving outside. i plan to saw out a shed to keep it in when not in use.

kelLOGg

I used two large tarps and dragging them over the sawhead which stands about 8' high was no fun.  I sawed out a 16 x 32 open shed for sawing as well as storage and life is much easier. I don't know your situation but I recommend sawing where you store the mill so you don't have to set it up each time.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

47sawdust

At a minimum build an inclosure that you can back the saw head into when not in use.Members Redbeard and Elk have such arrangements.This provides shelter for the most important components and allows easy access for log handling.If you are stationary elevate the mill to a comfortable work height.Good choice on your sawmill.
Be safe,think ahead.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

bandmiller2

Theirs always those temporary plastic covered shelters designed for autos. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

diesel pap

i live in the steep hills of wv and have 132 acres of farm and woods. over time i will move my mill to five or six different places to saw. i have a 4wd tractor and a winch to skid the logs in to the mill. i would like to have something portable.

acrosteve

I too use a tarp, but it catches on all of the corners and stuff.

I have not gotten around to it yet, but I am planning on taking some electrical conduit and bending a couple of hoops - one on the controls and one on the head.  Then i can drag the tarp over rather easy.  Or at least that's the plan.

They make 3/4 rigid conduit in aluminum.
Timberking B-20

YellowHammer

I used one of those open sided big pavilion tents, bought it used on CL. It worked pretty well and gave enough shade that I started to use it as a sun shelter when I was sawing consecutive days in the same location.  I wouldn't take it down until I moved the mill.  A strong wind finally took it for a ride.
YH 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

drobertson

Used a tarp for close to two years, not fun, but effective.  I would say what ever works for you is the best.
single pitch covers work good and can be attached to existing buildings pretty easy. As far as portable, not sure, I always thought a connectable pole tent would be pretty cool, just spread it out and run poles through the loops, not sure if there is such a thing.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Got some wheels and some metal? Could use metal roofing for the roof. As said,just enough to get the motor under would be a big help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

For years my portable bandmill sat outside,I hated trying to cover it with a tarp.I attached a small roof at the towing end.The roof was big enough to cover the engine and saw carriage and keep me out of the rain but not much more.When done milling just park the sawhead under the roof. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Solomon

Quote from: diesel pap on October 29, 2013, 11:48:45 PM
what is some ideas on temp shelter when using my new sawmill and leaving outside. i plan to saw out a shed to keep it in when not in use.
A good 40 ft truckers tarp is what I use
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

diesel pap

thanks for the ideas. i fig out something

papow22

Hey BANDMILLER2,Is there any chance in the wee small possibility of a picture to see what it looks like cause I use a canvas cover car port over mine.
:P
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Solomon on October 30, 2013, 09:44:38 PMA good 40 ft truckers tarp is what I use

Where does one find a good 40' trucker's tarp ????
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ga Mtn Man

If you happen to have plenty of trees around the mill you could do something like this:

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

coastlogger

My shelter is a 2 foot piece of 3/4 x 12 cedar board. Put it over the muffler and air intake on the Honda when Im done for the day.If you dont have a bunch of electronics, you dont need a shelter  IMO.Of course I live in the dry west coast of Vancouver Island where on a good year we only get 110 inches of rain.
Seriously, of course a shelter is nice, but for me it has never even got close to the top of the priority list. There are also handling constraints when you get posts and rafters in close proximity to moving logs and machines.
clgr

Thank You Sponsors!