iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Up/Down motor LT40HDG24

Started by Chuck White, April 30, 2009, 06:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Took a while to figure this one out, but I got it after a while.

The Up/Down motor would just stop working every once in a while during the job I was on last Friday.
I removed the shield and then removed the brush cap and took the brush out, wiped it off a little and reinstalled.
There was about 3/8 inch of the Up brush left and the Down brush had almost 3/4 remaining.
I finished sawing the last log with the shield off and I just tapped on the U/D motor whenever it stopped.
On my way home, it finally dawned on me, "there's probably a lot of carbon dust inside the motor" !
Well, the next morning, before heading out on a new job, I installed quick disconnect electrical crimp-on's on the wires to the motor.
Then I took the motor to the shop and turned on the air compressor and removed both brush caps and brushes then stepped over to the door and blew the dust out with the air nozzle, reversed directions a few times, and the motor appeared to be cleaned out.
I could hardly believe how much crud came out of that little motor.
I reinstalled the brushes and put the motor back on the mill and it worked "just like new" again!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

John_Haylow

Glad it worked out for you Chuck, thanks for the tip.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

LeeB

Just as a side note to this, it is a good idea to blow out the carbon every now and then or the brushes could become stuck and fry the motor. I found out the hard way.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!