iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

went to cut with rebocardo

Started by DonE911, October 31, 2005, 09:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonE911

Made a trip down to Atlanta to cut some with rebo.

Urban cutt'n for sure. 

He got most of the nails out in advance. 8) 8)

Tom

DonE911

There's still more to cut next weekend.

We spent a lot of time moving logs around in the tight yard.  Had to roll everything around by hand, no room for anything else.

We started off with the plan of cutting as many 2x6's as we could get........ but...

The original plan got scrapped when home owner got a look at the lumber and ended up ordering some 6x6's for his porch repair and a pile of 1x6's for his new fence.   8) 8)

Tom

Don't you just hate it when people start throwing money at you?

Ga_Boy

Don,

It looks like you were using your WPF.  How is it cutting?

I hope to have some pictures of the 54" butt log and five 36" Maple logs that I worked on this past weekend.  In all there is about 4.5mbf of Ambrosia and Birds Eye Maple this I cut.   That big one was fun to cut, it was a 14 foot long with a crotch.  I was stopping every coupla hundred bf to resharpen.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

DonE911

Yep... it's getting used alot....  word is out that someone has a sawmill that will work during deer season :D :D

Today is the day off :o :o

Mill is cutting good...  still having some setup issues with transporting, but much less now... should have it licked soon.

Looking forward to those pic's ...

I'm headed back to the 25 acres of oaks tomorrow.... will try and take a few pic's.  Got a call from the neighbor lady to this property... have to go do a walk through with her this week... she says she has the same problem with downed "large" oaks.

PawNature

How is rebocardo doing, I bought his procut and husky 265  back in June I think it was.  I sold the procut and bought a like new lm mark 4. You're right he does do some urban sawing
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

DonE911

Paw.

He should be answering you......   he seems to be doing well.  I'm sure he'll pop in here soon.

This was the first time we have met off the FF.  Hopefully he can get bulk buyer for all the urban wood..... I'll be happy to cut it all up.... it's kind of a long drive, but worth it if the wood will sell quickly.

We talked about his old procut some. 

rebocardo

Hi,

The Peterson is pretty nice, especially compared with a ProCut. I did not dare touch it, I might want one too bad  ;)  Very nice not having to turn a cant once you start cutting.

Then again, for under $1000 the Procut gets you started and hooked, then you sell it and get something else :-D 

With a small chainsaw mill trailer in a backyard it is fairly easy just to roll it up hill and around things in a backyard. The thing that killed the saw mill trailer for me was loading the logs on by myself. After I drop a tree or two, then to struggle loading logs on the trailer is too much.

What I really need is one big enough for slabs where the log can not be moved or skidded. I just turned my first two black walnuts into firewood because of location, though I still have about a 14" log to go ... behind a fence.

Note to self: With the Peterson, it does not matter how quickly it cuts if you can not get the logs rolled on fast enough. So, on the next location I paid a kid, using his Dad's Bobcat, $60 ($50 an hour) to get all the logs lined up. Hope to have 1000 bd ft lined up soon the front lawn, have 660 so far.

Yea, having the customer buy the wood as you cut it is great  :)  He was going to buy it at Home Depot anyways and we made him an offer he could not refuse  :D  Always a plus to go home with money in your pocket with wood left over to sell.

It was a good experience, plus, meeting other members is always  8)

Dan_Shade

I can totally relate to the "did not touch it thing"  I went up to Ga Boy's place a few months back, I had to say no at least ten times to giving it a shot.

I wanted to, but man, I don't want to buy one!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DonE911

:D :D :D

I messed up and touched GA_Boys mill at the expo.....  I told him I didn't want saw with his mill....  it had that darn electric winch on it and mine doesn't..... 

well I did use if for a few minutes and now I really want that electric winch option ::)

I knew that was going to happen.

Ga_Boy

Dan,

The offer sill stands anytime you want to mill with my swinger let me know.

Don,

Best money I very spent was on that winch!

DonE911

Mark,

I can see you are right....  I'll have one soon enough, but the mill is gonna have to pay for it.... so I'll be cranking for a little while yet.

Rebocardo will have to sell lots of the wood I'm cutt'n for him so I can have it sooner  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

OK Don, e'splane yerself. What's up with the Winch and why do I need one ??  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DonE911

FDH

I need one cuz it's alot less work than walking to the side of the mill and cranking the vert by hand.

I though everyone here wanted to get more out of less work :D :D

Have you had a chance to use your Peterson yet?

Fla._Deadheader

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ no  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

no????

Well I gave you a hard enough time about comming up here so I could cut with yours.... come on up for a visit and you can cut with mine.....

You can meet me and Rebo in Atlanta and try it on on his oak.... how does Sunday sound for you??

Fla._Deadheader

We got the mill out of storage and re-assembled it, yesterday.

Have a bunch of Cypress beams to saw, up to 20' long. That will give us a fair "Test drive".  8)  Got to run it before I ship it to CR. Trying to gather the parts for a Slabber, before I ship it.  ::) :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

Part_Timer

Hay Don If you want a bad case of "want one's" get ahold of a micro kerf and try it.  You just can't believe the differance it makes.  Only down side is the 6" cut but if your're making studs it don't matter much.  I'd send mine down for you to try but it won't fit yours then again never mind I might not get it back.  :D

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Ga_Boy

Harold,

The winch is to raise and lower thepower head carriage.

An additional bonus for the winch is you do not leave the operators station to do this.  When raising or lowering with the hand crank you have to walk around to the right hand side of the mill and crank.

The benifit of the electric winch is; time saving and speed. You are able to produce more material with less time.

Now the down side of the winch. There is learning curve to become accurate.  Unlike the hand crank, which has positive stops and lowers the power head a measured amount with each click; the electric winch does not have premeasured incrimates for lowering or raising.  You use your eyeball and make a judgement call.  This can introduce some error in either the thickness or width of your material.

With that said, the learning curve to develop a degree of accuracy is not difficult or long. In a day or so you will develop the skill of "reading the dial".

Mark

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Mark. Is this a factory thing, or can one adapt a store bought winch ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ga_Boy

Harold,

You can by the winch upgrade from Peterson or with your skills you can build it your-self.

The winch motor on my mill, which Peterson installed; looks very much like the type of motor used on dump trucks to cover and uncover the loads.  The up and down switch is nothing unique, just a heavy duty two button switch with a heavy duty coiled coard.  I am going to mount my switch so it is fixed and not hanging.  It alwasy seems to be in the way and I am always reaching for it.  With it in a fixed location I will always know where it is and reach for it in the same location.  This is how Captian has his configured and I liked it.  With a swinger, speed comes from economey of moation and most motions are repetative.

Captian can give more details on the how and whats; he proto-typed the electric winch on his mill.  I believe he used a motor from an bumber mounted style electric winch.

Mark

Dan_Shade

a little ATV style winch would probably work great for those things.  you can get them pretty cheap too.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DonE911

Hey Mark,

Can you post a pic of the winch and dial setup?  FDH could have it set up before he leaves for CR.  He could prolly do it without the pic, but it wouldn't hurt.

Ga_Boy

Don,

Great idea, it will be Saturday afternoon before I can get to my mill and take the picture.

Harlod,

If you can wait till Saturday, i'll take a picture and post it here.

Mark

Fla._Deadheader

No problema Mark. Appreciate the help. Saturday wood be fine.

I was more concerned about the lack of braking on the ATV Winch, to hold the sawframe in position without creeping.

That's why we used the worm drive winch on Homey for the Up-Down.

How do you view the thickness dial that is over around the corner from the operator area ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

Harold

the dial is moved to the post at your left shoulder.  Its a different dial mechanism alltogether.  It still rotates via the chain links on a sproket.   As Mark mentioned, you have to get the feel of the power drive and how it moves..... Mark and Craig have it figured out so the boards comming off the log are accurate... even though you don't have the posi stops and the "clicks".

Set the dial to your left on Zero..... hit your down button and watch your dial rotate to the desired drop....  give it a slight bump up or down to make the drop perfect if needed and go to cutt'n... when your ready for the next drop you do it all over again, but never leave the operators position.

Fla._Deadheader

Don, that's how we run Homey's up-down.  ;) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

Thats what I thought, but homey was on assignment when I was up to visit.

Fla._Deadheader

Just can't keep a good thing down home, on the farm. ??  ;D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

rebocardo

Urban logging with open face cut and high back cut. I wanted to keep the log on the stump so it would not roll or worse, bounce back and hit the house six feet behind it.

Wack of logs fromthree 95 foot high Pine trees, which all lost the first 10 to 12 feet of the log due to urban metal such as joist hangers for swings under the bark, chains, cables, and I found most of the nails bucking the logs for Don :-D

Peterson mill in action

DonE911

That last pic is sqished just right.....

thats how tight it felt in the back yard :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!