iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your best dogs names

Started by WV Sawmiller, June 03, 2018, 07:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Okay let's hear a few doggy tails (Tales) with names (where appropriate for family audiences) about your best/favorite pooches over the years.

Roy was a German Shepherd who bit/nipped me in the back seat of our old (Probably early 40's) car when I was about 4. He died years later with my teeth marks on his nose (But he never bit me again).

Rex was another G. Shepherd who refused to let Mom open the screen door to the front porch. Turns out he was laying on a cottonmouth she would have stepped right over.

Dufus was a 28 lb black and tan Dachshund/Basset cross who was my general knock around buddy, pretty decent rabbit dog, fair squirrel dog, in the pack when coon hunting, etc. She nearly turned us over in my canoe when she lunged at a 40 lb Alligator snapping turtle I was delicately balancing trying to load (He had been anesthetized with a .357 round and and still on the trotline so I still recovered him).

Dixie was wife's first G. Shepherd she had when we married. Former student she had expelled tried to break in on her early one morning a few weeks before we married and the police caught him at local ER getting stitches after Dixie sent him packing. She had her first litter of puppies at the time so generally bad time to try something like that. Biggest concern wife had was he kicked her dog before he scrambled into back of his buddy's truck but the dog fared better than he did.

Bertha was Dufus 17 lb, tri color, short haired daughter and son of Sabo (World's slowest beagle). I have no doubt she was the world's best squirrel dog. We killed thousands over her as well as many coons, possums, one armadillo, and one wounded bobcat over her.

Sabo was old tri color beagle who hunted at a dead walk. Never saw a live rabbit. He'd hunt a few hours, stick up a stick where he quit to mark his spot, go take a break and return a few hours later and continue. I shot one rabbit in front of him doing that and he took 45 minutes to trail it up, bumped it and jumped back like snake bit then carried the rabbit head around for 2 weeks till Mom took it from him and buried it where he could not find it. Most of the time he was unavailable to hunt as he was off riding with Mom guarding Snoopy, her miniature Dachshund who had replaced Pea Mite her toy Manchester.

Sampson is my current knock around buddy, a 13 lb tri color Rat Terrier. Loves to go socialize with other dogs at the flea market. Rides everywhere on my 4 wheeler with me. Loves to go fishing and ride int he boat then barks furiously at a catfish but not a bass or sunfish. Has trailed/recovered a couple of bow shot deer for me and treed a few squirrels late this last season. May work on him more next season. Was 9 mos old and never socialized till I got him. Very skittish and nobody else can pet or catch him but me or wife. She used to dislike small dogs as huge G. Shepherd and Schtshund fan but Sampson won her over as soon as he got here. He will jump up in her lap then go stand in front of the Fridge and bark till she gets up and get him a treat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

hopm

All my dawgs get named from Lonesome Dove characters
I've had Woodrow, Gus, Peach, and Deets

DPatton

I had an amazing Brittany. He came from a very close friend of mine whom I hunted behind his dogs for years before having one of my own. In October of 2001 my life was finally on the right track that I had a place with enough space and some time to finally devote to my own hunting dog. His AKC name was Molly's Boy Gunner or Gunner for short.

Little fellow started life real hard with a life threatening case of Parvovirus at about 11 weeks. He was very sick and I lucked out to find a vet that knew enough to to recognize and treat him properly to beat it.
At 9 months he was hunting and we had a quail call back pen with about fifteen quail in the back yard which backs up against about five acres of CRP and trees.

I was learning more and more about training pointers every day and he was teaching me more and more every day. He was the kind of dog that never stopped getting better. Occasionally I noticed that he actually learned something from me but most of the time it was me doing the learning. By age three Gunner had pointed and retrieved hundreds of upland birds but he was also getting very strong headed and harder to control.

Now I know many of you like I probably don't like the idea of shock collars. I was very reluctant to do this to my dog but he was getting so hard to control that I had to do something. I studied the proper way to use the collar carefully and followed a very carefull set of rules and guidelines every time I put this device on him. Turns out with proper controlled use it was the best thing that ever happened to both of us. At age 4 we were back to hunting together like a well oiled machine and enjoying every minute of it.

Over the years we hunted pheasant and quail in four states with everything from German Shorthairs, Vizla, Springers, German Wire-haired Pointers, Brittanys, labs of all colors, English Pointers, and probably several other breeds I don't remember. Now he may have not been the fastest or most stylish dog out there at times but Gunner always managed impressed even the best dog owners with his nose and no nonsense retrieve to had work ethic. He was the type of dog that if he stood at the rivers edge and pointed far to the other side you could bet your last dollar there was a bird on that other side and he knew where it was.

What most impressed others was his unstoppable desire to retrieve including waterfowl. Now Brittany aren't know for their strong retrieving skills especially in frigid water. But this little guy had a passion for it. He actively hunted waterfowl with me and had a passion for (believe it or not) retrieving big Canadian geese. He was my duck hunting parties main workhorse for ten years retrieving thousands of ducks and geese during that time. 

At age fourteen I had to retire Gunner from hunting as the rigors and stress was too much for him to endure anymore. He had had an amazing life run that will not soon be forgotten. On October 24th 2016 at age fifteen He looked to me to take him to his final resting place. Two weeks later I scattered some of Gunners ashes on the water where we had hunted all those years as my nephew Kory's new shorthair pup made its first Canada goose retrieve ever on that day.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

thecfarm

No stories of more than one dog. Wife wanted a dog. I said no for years. I expect a lot from a dog.Well she finally said we are getting a dog,name Dew. We would go over and bring Dew here for a few hours every couple days. Then came the day we could keep Dew here,he was more than 8 weeks old. He was a cross between a Terrier and Golden Retriever. Yes,a double dose of hunting dog. And hunt he did,wood chucks. We mow alot,so they live in the stone walls and along the edges of the woods.He would stay at a stone wall and bark for hours until I would come and tear apart the wall for him. He would flip them over onto thier back and bite the wood chunk on the neck and kill them. First time he did that my little Boo-Boo turned into a killer. :D I was shocked.
Twice he protected the wife.Never bit anyone,but the wife said,I was even scared of him. Turned into something that she had never seen before. Lost him to cancer at only 7 years old.
Now we have a dog that is not much use. But we think the world of her. Yes,she follows me some,but would never lose sight of the house. No courage at all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moosehunter

We usually let our dogs name themselves. CC was a Springer my wife bought me for Christmas. A few days after we got her we left her alone for an hour or so. She got a candy cane off the Christmas tree. By the time we got back all of her white fur was pink. And sticky. 
The next Springer got was a male about a year old that had had NO training. He was a handful and then some. He came with a name but we changed it to PITA.
Odie was named after the dog in Garfield because his tongue was always hanging out. Later it became short for odiferous,  a word we used to describe the odors that would eminent from him every evening when he relaxed. 
Right now we have two Springers , Wallace and Gromit. My wife named them before she suprized me with them 5 years ago.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

gspren

Queenie was a junkyard puppy that looked like a German Shepard but had questionable parentage, an outstanding and faithful companion.
Baron was a pure blood, AKC papered, Springer Spaniel, nearly worthless, untrainable, and got carsick if over 5 miles.
Ginger was born on wife's uncles farm to a mixed breed mother and we have no idea who the father was but she was wonderful and traveled with us to 43 states.
  The bottom line is our "mutts" have been great and our one venture into a pure blood was disappointing.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

BradMarks

Growing up in my teens, it was Josh, border collie mix who loved his Fig Newton's.  Then it was Willie, another border collie mix who was rescued from an abuser, first by a deaf mute couple, who gave him to us. He responded so well to finger snapping. Then Cody, a border/golden retriever mix. He was the first CEO (canine executive officer) of my present company. He was the " if you ever want to get rid of him" lover boy that everybody wants. After him it was Bailey, our first female. She was Aussie/Corgi mix, very cute, think full size dog with no legs, and smart. Lost her about two months ago to an accident. And now we have Sonny, another border collie mix. About 9 months old, we are the third and last owner. He is still in training to become the next CEO!   Geez, that covers fifty years, and fifty tears.  As you see, our dogs have people names as they are family to us.

Raider Bill

Going back a bit over 30 or so years,

Rat,
Yorkie/chihuahua, looked and acted like a gremlin. 6 pounds of sheer meanness. Got killed by 2 chows he attacked.

Rudy,
Pure Yorkie. A medical nightmare with joint and skin conditions. Named after the Nortre Dame football player, he was the runt. Cute and lovable. a people pleaser. Used to ride inside my leather on the bike. Lung cancer got him.

Tica,
Shitzu Chihuahua I got her in trade for some left over lumber. Guy never picked the lumber up. I had just got back from Costa Rica when she came into my life so Tica it was! She was a lover, would run across the world and into the house for no reason than to give me a kiss. Hung out with me in my tent in the woods while I was building the Tenn house. Liver cancer and pancreatitis got her. After all what she went through I'll never give another dog people food. We figure she had 60K miles on the back of a Harley easy.

Chubie'
pronounced chubby, It's french for fat. I named her after myself :D :D
She's a largonian ridgeback. Born in a trailer park on ridge road here in largo. Parents unknown. She was 2.0 lbs and 5 weeks old when I took her away from a street cricket who was dragging her down the sidewalk on a string. In 3 days we got half a pound of worms out of her. Now she's 14 pounds of Squirrel chasing, logging trail running, Harley riding fun. She thinks she's in control of the bike. She's perfected how a 14 pound dog can take up most  of a king sized bed. Rain or shine she's standing tall on the handle bars nose to the wind. In 3 years she has never had people food.

I do better with dogs than women. :new_year:
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WV Sawmiller

I remember my grandfather's dogs. Maternal grandfather had Gypsy, a retired bluetick hound, my coon-hunting uncle gave Grandpa. She could still hunt squirrels at a pace Grandpa could keep up with. Mainly I remember Cricket, Grandpa's Rat Terrier. She stayed close to Grandpa and while Gypsy trailed and treed one squirrel every hour or so, Cricket would tree 3-4 around him Gypsy had missed. Don't remember what happened to Gypsy but Cricket got bitten by a big rattlesnake which killed her.

Grandpa Green had a big old Redbone hound named Red my dad's older brother gave him when Grandpa was about 75 or so. Grandpa hunted and killed lots of deer over him in Central Fla and he was his buddy for years. All the ticks were picked off one side where Grandpa could reach while they were riding. Grandpa finally put 1/2" hardware cloth in the window of his '55 chevy to keep Red from periodically jumping out and whipping town dogs who offended him as they drove by. My cousin who lived next to Grandpa brought home a cute little mutt which really hurt Red's feelings as the puppy got all the attention. Red finally took up to him and took him out to play every day. Every day they got closer to the 4 lane highway till finally the puppy got killed. Red came home wagging his tail and with a big grin on his face for getting rid of the upstart. His last year or two was pretty rough on Red. He caught a bear and did not come out the victor on that fight. After that Grandpa said he would bay fire-blackened pine stumps and such when he'd unexpectedly run up on one. He got bit by a rattlesnake but survived that. I think he finally died of heartworms. My cousin's taxidermist husband offered to mount him for Grandpa which really offended Grandpa who gave Red a decent burial. Grandpa had a lot of short tailed cats - the survivors who learned not to climb the fence and steal Red's food at Red's funeral.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lxskllr

My best dogs are cats. My first cat Alice, would fetch super balls. I'd bounce them down the steps, and she'd bring them back to me.

My current two cats aren't anything special. The boy, Junior has stunning good looks, but he's an [censored]. Doesn't mean to be. He tries to be charming, but it comes off as irritating. My girl, Frankie, is my best friend. She's not much to look at, and doesn't do anything special, but she's good company. She's never far from me. Always in the same room as me, if not directly on me. She has chronic renal failure, so I don't know how much longer she'll be around. I'm gonna miss that thing when she's gone.

The ferals are interesting. Fathead's shy around me, but he keeps the yard clear of other cats. He seems to be a real scrapper, with a well notched ear. Socks, and Big Ol Tabby haven't been around since Fathead told them who's property it is  :^D  He has two ladies, Mom and Mini Me. Mom's a nice little calico, and recently had kittens. Haven't seen the kittens in a week or so, but I suspect they're under my fallen oak. Mom's been getting friendlier every week. If I didn't already have a couple cats, she'd be in the house. Mini Me(cause she looks like Fathead) isn't so great. She's flaky, and clings to Fathead. Frankie doesn't like her much either. She's the only cat she hisses at when the screendoor's open.

Stephen1

I have had dogs all my life, my favourite is the one I have now, Timber, bordercollie/lab mix. I didn't know dogs could be so smart. We call him the marathon dog as runs everywhere. He rarely barks except to get me to throw the ball as he does not think he is finished work yet.  When i stop throwing the ball or stick, off he goes to find someone who will, unless I tell him "good job" , then he lays down and waits.  All my neighbours know him and love him. He really thinks children were made just for him. I have had people drop by and offer to buy him as he was at their house that day playing with their children. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

low_48

Sons girl friend named her dachshund, Baron Von Anklebighter.

Novascotiamill

Camo my lomg haired male german shepherd. Hes been with me every day for eight years and sleeps at my bed everynight . He likes to lay beside the sawmill when things are happening as he gets lots of sticks to chase. He's a trusted friend ,defender of our home and constant reminder that theres still lots of good left in the world.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

rjwoelk

Scotty a collie. Was very protective. May have been 7 when he died,then came Rex good cattle dog, school bus drove over him, then 3 more cant remember the names, one was a female,  had 13 pups on one of he pupings, got married and we had skippy, tell him to sing and he would howl and morrn away, yup played in the traffic, then we had sheep and 2 collies and 6 guard dogs kuvas and maramma x, no yotes bothered us, niki, burt and ernie, then fred and barny, then skipped a couple of years and got another kuvas marama x yup named him fred, got a blue healer border collie and Australian shepard x Toby he is a talker, he dont do much except welcome every one that drops in. Loves my wifes music students.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

DanG

Names for our many, many pets have tended to follow little patterns. Had a one-eyed cat, so I named him Jack.  Joker and Ace came along soon after. Goofy was my all-time best dog, so named because he was missing a lower canine tooth and his tongue hung out the side of his mouth. He was black & tan like the cartoon Goofy. When a light brown pup came along, I named him Pluto.  We found a pair of abandoned puppies while riding horses on a lonely back road, so we brought them home on horseback. Named them Grace and Mercy. Acquired a female who was already named "Loopy".  That is a stoopid name so I changed it to Lucy. Then another unnamed female came along, so we named her Ethel. The next male to join the clan was called Fred. Never did get a Ricky though. The latest pair I picked up in the road where they had obviously been dumped. The little female got named Blondie because of her color, so the male one became Dagwood. Blondie has found a new home so now "Dagwood" makes no sense. Oh well! :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sprucebunny

Saphire came with the name when I adopted her. Black Lab cross. Smart and had a sense of humor or silliness. Still miss her.

Teak was Irish Setter/Chow/G. Shepard and something else. She was a beautiful mixed brown color like newly varnished teak. Had an attitude but was a good hunting dog and even caught her own pheasant once !

Chewy ( Chewbarka) was Chow and blonde lab and a prolific shedder. Sweet boy who had an epileptic fit once a month. He looked just like a Chinook Husky but bigger.

There was an adopted Husky we changed her name from Chelsea to Elsie. She loved Chewy madly but didn't seem to like people much.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!