iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Illusions In My Shop

Started by SawyerTed, September 24, 2018, 03:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Is it me or do others have items in your shop that make you think you have enough supplies for the next project?  

This glue bottle provided such and illusion this morning.  I looked across the work bench before going to the store.  I saw it and thought "good I've got glue".  Wrong!

Can't protect myself from me....

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

lxskllr

I don't have a shop per se, so I don't use any item regularly, but my problem is I think "I've got that", then either can't find it, or in the case of something like glue, it's a hard rock in the bottom of the container  :^S

Crusarius

did something similar this weekend. thought I had enough landscaping fabric. Ends up I was 32' short. now I need to get more on the way home so I can finish a project that should have been done sunday.

Novascotiamill

:-\ ??? >My son has that problem when he borrows and returns my truck,referring to the gas gauge!! >:(
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

DPatton

I had similar situation this past weekend. I couldn't find my glue bottle at home :( so purchased enough glue Saturday morning for my weekend project. Sunday morning I drove back to the store and purchased the rest of the glue I needed for my weekend project :embarassed:. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Chuck White

I've done that with dielectric grease, I can't remember exactly, but I really needed some for something I was doing on the mill and I just couldn't find my tube of grease so, I drove almost 30 miles to get a tube of grease, I no more than got home and I found the first tube in the driver-side door pocket in the truck!

Well now I have a full tube and an almost full tube!

Left the one in the truck and the other is in the cabinet above my sharpener & setter!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kindlinmaker

For those of us over 50, it is not an illusion. It is shop gremlins. They hide things and erase our memories at night.  Like the 2 full gals of glue I found hidden in different  box store bags while I was putting away a new gallon I just purchased because I knew I needed glue.  Now if I could just figure out where they put my truck keys last night. 
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

SawyerTed

Those shop gremlins are herders and hoarders.  Seems like all my tape measures get herded to the truck during the night.  Since all the tapes are always in the truck, I bought extras for the shop.  Now there are 5 tapes in the truck and none in the shop.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

Same way with ballpoint pens and reading glasses.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Quote from: Magicman on September 26, 2018, 09:27:15 AM
Same way with ballpoint pens and reading glasses.  ::)
Roger that.  And then some.
HM126

Ford_man

Chuck now if you just tell us where you stored it may when you can't find it in the future you can just ask us here on FF and maybe some one can tell you where you put it.

Stephen1

Quote from: Ford_man on September 26, 2018, 11:34:17 AM
Chuck now if you just tell us where you stored it may when you can't find it in the future you can just ask us here on FF and maybe some one can tell you where you put it.
I like this idea! Then all we have to do is "search" on here and the post will tell us.
We could start a board just for items we put away in safe places
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Crusarius

but first you have to remember that safe spot :)

Jeff

When I can't remember something, this is where I come, since most of my life has been documented here. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

I like that, Ford_Man!    ;D  :D  ;D  :D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

IMERC

I am not alone...
I have plenty of company...

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

Do what I do. Buy another one everytime you can't find what you are looking for. After awhile you will have 15 tape measures,6 speed squares,20 carpenters pencils, 4 shovels,3 pair of lopers,30 pair of gloves,............................................ Than after a few years you will be able to find at least one of what you are looking for. ::)   Oh yea,10 ½ wrenches,10 pair of pliers, 40 screwdrivers....... :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

That's funny, Ray!

Last week I went through my sawmill toolbox, I had six 7/16" wrenches, removed four!  :-\

A few of the other wrenches in there were duplicates too!

SawyerTed

So I'm finding out it isn't just me! :D :D :D  Either I should feel better about myself or we all should be worried.  

Saturday I "had" to buy more Allen wrenches because I couldn't find my metric set.  The old set was put back in the sawmill tool bag by whoever stole them sometime Saturday afternoon.   :D

hturner12

In addition to gremlins, the wrench monsters that changes sizes on wrenches to what you need to what you have 4 of, do not  forget  the wives that move your stuff and tell you they have not seen it.
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

Thank You Sponsors!