iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

infestation in Pine Tree

Started by legenddrug, October 28, 2018, 08:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

legenddrug

I have lost 2 pines so far to some sort of infestation.  I have a 3rd showing signs as well, but I don't know what is causing it and how to treat it before I lose another tree.  I have not seen any bugs yet, but have attached a picture of what is visible.  Please help with what I'm dealing with and how can I treat it.

Southside

Where are you located?  The wood under the bark does not look good at all.  Do the needles on that tree look healthy?  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

legenddrug

I am in wake forest NC.  Needles still look good, no brown areas.

Southside

Do you have any sap being pushed out of the holes?  Would look like white popcorn balls. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

00frick

start spraying. if you have 2 trees in N.C. you will probably have more. Pyrithroids/permithrins will help. Be persistant.  

Don P

That looks like woodpeckers going after larvae of whatever the insect is. A guess would be southern pine beetle but that's just a guess, your extension agent may be able to help ID. Do neighbors show problems? I'd cut and burn the dead ones.

Texas Ranger

I see little evidence of bark beetle, other than one tube that may  be turpentine beetle. Turpentine beetles can  also start from surface root damage. Local extension agent can give definitive answer.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

00frick

The others are right. Call the extension agent. NCFS doesn't do many home visits. Checking with neighbors is sound advice. Cut and burn is good advice as well. This picture looks like Loblolly bark. Doesn't really matter though, as once an issue starts, it happens pretty quick. It is getting cooler so it can slow down. A good start is to stand near the tree and listen for a bit. 

Texas Ranger

Is there red dust in the bark crevices?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Wudman

Any grading or compaction around that tree in the last couple of years?  Have the needles thinned out or gotten shorter?  My first suspect would be loss of vigor and a secondary pest from root compaction or a fungal infection. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

WDH

That looks like woodpecker damage. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!