iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chomper firewood processor

Started by Mike J, November 01, 2018, 07:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike J

First I would like to say thanks for adding me! Now hopefully someone can help steer me in the right direction. I'm looking at a Chomper 14 for sale locally, the guy selling it says that the auto option works sometimes but not always. I'm curious if anybody here knows what might be wrong? Chomper is out of business so calling them isn't an option. The seller says he thinks it is a sensor. Are these sensors available? Where would I get one? How much are they? Thanks in advance for any response. Mike

hedgerow

Welcome Mike J
I haven't owned a Chomper firewood processor I looked at a couple a few years ago and decided I didn't have enough of the right size logs for it to work for me. If you buy one you are going to have to be a guy that can make or fix anything or as you found out the company is out of business. What I read about them when I was looking was it was a love or hate thing with them. Seems like there are a few this year for sale. Just remember in firewood processors you are not seeing a lot of shear style processors.

Mike J

Thank you Hedgerow, luckily i have access to plenty of smaller wood, I am just curious what kind of sensors they used and if they are readily available. If that is what is wrong with the machine. Thanks, Mike 

TKehl

Welcome!

I guarantee you the sensor is a commercial off the shelf product.  They just didn't make millions of these to justify a specially built sensor.  

Now whether it is a mechanical microswitch, optical, magnetic, pressure....  No clue.

Figure out what it is, then google the numbers that are probably stamped or etched on it.  Could just be dirty and need cleaned even.

And I don't mean this to be rude, but long term to help your wallet: If you have concerns over retrofitting a sensor, your money may be better spent on something with factory support.  We're happy to help, but an online forum can only do so much.  (Please disregard if you are comfortable with mechanical and hydraulic repairs but electrical leaves you scratching your head.)   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Mike J

TKehl, I understand what you are saying, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I just wouldn't want to buy something and find out it would be a special order switch/sensor. I like the idea of a one man operation machine. Thanks, Mike

mike_belben

First off.. Sellers of broken machines dont usually have a clue whats wrong with it or theyd be selling a fully functioning machine for top dollar. Its always just a little carb cleaner or tuneup or needs fresh gas with sellers of broken junk.

Its probably got a cabinet with a basic PLC of some sort to run the cycle. PLC is a little programmable controller that looks at input parameters to generate outputs.  Then any number of switches or prox sensors are laid out for the input side and the PLC uses these inputs to run a sequence of outputs.   Thats it.. A little box of I/O's programmed to do whatever you punch in from a laptop based software package.  

Theres probably a hundred ways this automation can be interrupted.  And theyre all small/simple if you know automation.  black magic if you dont.  If the machine runs completely in manual, thats a pretty good sign it can be fixed cheaply by someone who knows what theyre doing.  Proxes and limit switches are pretty universal and cheap.  Its more about knowing what youre doing than spendy parts.  The builders probably bought as affordable a set of components as they could.  

Digi-key, ebay, grainger, automationdirect.com etc
Praise The Lord

Mike J

Mike belben, the owner says everything works manually and it works auto till a certain function. I guess when I look at it I'll bring some 10-12' sticks with me and see what happens. I apparently your response. Sounds like from feedback I'm getting it should be a replaceable part. Thanks, Mike

mike_belben

If part of the auto works the PLC should be fine which is a big bonus.  So it probably lost an input or connection to an output circuit.. You should be able to manually supply that input or output with a jumper to verify.  When you get into the cabinet youll see more what i mean.  Watch the owner run it with the cabinet open.  PLCs usually have blinky lights to show what theyre "seeing" and "doing."   If so, take a video.  Youtube users could probably walk you through a repair via comments.

Look around for build schematic inside the cabinet.  Usually stuffed inside.
Praise The Lord

Mike J

Thanks Mike, I am going to look at it on Saturday. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks, Mike

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

barbender

You should have wrote that "You're welcome, Mike- Mike" 😁
Too many irons in the fire

hedgerow

Mike J
Did you buy a firewood processor Sat?

Mike J

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you, but no I passed on the processor. Thanks, Mike 

hedgerow

So Mike J what didn't you like about the Chomper? Still looking for a processor?

Mike J

Hedgerow, To be honest my financial situation changed, I never got to look at it, if it's still available in a few weeks I will try to go see it.

Puffergas

I have the manual version. Bought it well broke-in, so to speak. Too slow for a commercial operation but a sheared chunk of wood dries faster. It would be nice if the blade is not cracked, common problem. It will be a vertical crack in the middle. You can buy a spray can of visible penetrant and remover to test for cracks.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Mike J

That sounds like a good way to find a crack!! Thanks 

Thank You Sponsors!