iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing a Black Walnut Log for Best Demand

Started by kyjondeere, November 16, 2018, 01:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjondeere

I have a walnut log about 20' long and 18" diameter on the small end.  It blew down on the root ball back in the summer.  I recently bucked it off the root and brought it home to the mill.  I have a Lumbermate 2000 with no extensions so I can saw a little over 12'.  

I don't typically sell any lumber or mill for others, I just mill for my own use.  That said, I currently have plenty of project lumber without this so I have no immediate projects for the walnut.  I thought I might just mill this one up and sell the lumber to cover some expenses for blades and things.  I will use local classifieds, FB marketplace, etc. to sell it.  

My question is, how should I saw it up to best market it?  Since I can only mill 12 ft., I will obviously have to make two sections.  I suppose probably 2-10 footers.  It is a good log, straight with no limbs so it should make some fine lumber.  I wonder if I should just slab it out, cut 4/4 or what?  I see lots of folks selling slabs so I guess thats a viable option.  

Any opinions on this and how I could get the best demand for it?

Thanks
Norwood Lumbermate 2000, John Deere 5083e, John Deere 5075e, Kubota L3240, Stihl MS 461, Stihl MS261CM, Load Trail 16' Dump Trailer

GAB

I would advertise it as "can be sawed to your requirements". 
As an encore I'll even let you tail the mill.
That would take some of the guess work out of it.
Now if the buyer is into thin wood projects you might be sawing longer than originally anticipated.
Gerald   
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

sealark37

If it is an option, you should consider digging out the stump.  Careful trimming and pressure washing will likely produce several  12/4 slabs for gun stock blanks.    Regards, Clark

SawyerTed

Seal the ends and advertise custom sawing of the log.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

OffGrid973

8' slabs and a 4' table tops. 3" thick slab it out , sticker and seal the ends.  Then make whatever the buyer wants but you can let it dry as they continue to come a look'n.

Take a few pics as slabs come off with water on them, some fall in love with grain patterns and eventually purchase.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

nativewolf

I'll be lone wolf then.  Why not just sell the log?  Walnut sells in log form for not much less than sawn.  No marketing issues...just put in a truck or trailer and haul off to a local log buyer, they will all pretty much buy 1-2 logs if not they know who will (maybe call first).
Liking Walnut

scsmith42

Quote from: GAB on November 16, 2018, 03:05:16 PM
I would advertise it as "can be sawed to your requirements".
As an encore I'll even let you tail the mill.
That would take some of the guess work out of it.
Now if the buyer is into thin wood projects you might be sawing longer than originally anticipated.
Gerald  
^^^ What Gerald said.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Southside

My experience with Walnut is if you saw it to 4/4 you will get a bunch of calls for 5/4. Slab it and the calls will be for 4/4. One thing that is pretty common is folks want it dry, they don't want to sit on it and wait, they will complain about the price of dry lumber but they will pay it. 

If it were me I would see what it will pay as a log and if the price is decent then I would just sell it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!