iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

440b winch problems

Started by Log207, December 02, 2018, 09:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Log207

Anyone know why my winch would be reeling in when on freespool position on my 440b skidder?

BargeMonkey

3305 or 3325 winch ? I've seen loose bolts in the clutch pack before that cause them to shutter and winch in. Most likely it's in your handle / valve, not sure which style is in a B series. The kits aren't bad to install but dont smack anything real hard, the valve bodies aren't cheap. 

Log207

Winch is a 3305, and talked to another guy who said it may be the spring behind the clutches that broke or clutches are rusty? It has a rotary valve for controls. It doesn't pull in fast but definitely reels in

BargeMonkey

I would pop the cover and check the clutch plates, springs and "puck", I'm not familiar with a 3305 but I've seen a 3325 want to do similar because of a couple loose bolts. I'm sure someone can tell you where to plumb a gauge inline to test pressure from the handle, mine has a spool with O'rings and they do go bad. 

teakwood

I have a 3305 on my 540A and i hate that winch. it works fine now but i had a lot of problems with the rotary valve, it has some brass seats that go bad from time to time and are no longer available, at least new. but check clutch first as Barge suggested. Above the valve there is a plug, in the winch carcass, there you can plug in a gauge and it should read 1000psi when winching in high rpms.  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

BargeMonkey

Quote from: teakwood on December 03, 2018, 06:54:33 AM
I have a 3305 on my 540A and i hate that winch. it works fine now but i had a lot of problems with the rotary valve, it has some brass seats that go bad from time to time and are no longer available, at least new. but check clutch first as Barge suggested. Above the valve there is a plug, in the winch carcass, there you can plug in a gauge and it should read 1000psi when winching in high rpms.  
I've lost literally weeks of time fingers deep in a 3325, they where good in their day but Deere's made the factory parts so expensive its cost prohibitive. Theres a couple trans parts and brake assembly parts for my 440D that flat out dont exist anymore off the shelf, I can only imagine what it's like for the A/B series machines. 

teakwood

You're absolutely right Eric, mi winch is working good right know but i'm looking for the brass valve seats, found them online, 50$ each!!! and you need 4 of them. they are so tiny!!
Luckily i newer had problems with the tranny or something serious, touch wood! 
I would need new tires but i hold on till it's absolutely inevitable, i don't want to stick with new tires and then my skidder dies.
I wondering if there is a possibility to buy a newer skidder and mount a crane and remote controlled winch on it, like the european skidders and stay under 50k??
Because a used Welte or HSM with 8-10k hours is still 180 000$ in Europe, thats insane!! and it would be easier to get parts for a "american" Model. 

BargeMonkey

Theres a guy in a group on FB I'm in who's always listing some of that adapted "euro" style iron and the prices dont seem bad, The dual winches and sliding butt plate / crane setups seem handy. I'm watching alot of stuff go cheap, 648G3's that aren't beat right to death for 30-40k, the deals are out there. Once you've got a machine with a 4000-6000 series winch its night and day plus alot more stable. 

teakwood

Really? and in the states? what FB group is that? If they already have the double drum and lowering backblade i imagine a crane construction wouldn't be that difficult too ad.

When my skidder dies and i got the cash together i will definitively ask you for iron search help!! 

teakwood

Sorry for hijacking the OPs treat, here is some info i found online for the winch, the best description i ever read for troubleshot!

Put a gauge into the main pressure-tap. Check presssure when in "winch in" position, and then check in "free spool." It should be the same with either. My memory is a bit foggy but I think it ought to be 800 to 1000 PSI. It takes less pressure for the "winch in" to work, so often low pressure first gets noticed when using "free spool."
I've had to pull many winches apart that only had 300-400 PSI and the "winch in" was still working. Probably slipping, but working anyway - with NO free spool at all.
If you have good pressure on "winch in", but low pressure on "free spool" . . . then you know for sure that the valve is the problem. If low in all functions, it could be the valve, pick-up screen, or that tiny little Webster hydraulic pump.

sidehill6

have a 440b I use nearly every day. bought it 18 months ago, sitting idling in freespool position it would real the sliders into the winch, turned out the winch was badly contaminated with water, changed oil and filter 3 or 4 times problem went away. worth a look

Thank You Sponsors!