iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill NAMES ???

Started by Captain, June 16, 2003, 10:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

As much as we have all heard about WANDA, we probably can assume that the relationship that Arkansawyer has with his sawmill is filled with affection  :-* and admiration.  It makes you wonder where that name came from....

So it made me wonder, how many of you folks have named a piece of equipment? How long does it take to do so? To the male operator, are all favorite pieces of work equipment genderized female? (mine seem to be ;))

I am struggling with a name for my sawmill, don't tell my wife I've got another lady in my life.... :o

Captain

Neil_B

When I first met my mill, she was a real b**ch. But I've grown to love her ;). Still haven't got a name for it though.

My father-in-law named my wood furnace "Big Bertha" cause she'll eat just about anything. ???
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

dail_h

I generaly name stuff,it takes some time for the personality and relationship to develop.Some are less than complementary
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Percy

Hmmm...maybe Im odd but I name my stuff non gender specific.Go either way :o. I havent got a name for the new mill yet but the edger is named JACK The Ripper(Jack for short), the bobcat is named ROBERT and my leafblower is named B.J. ;D. I have a green stratocaster(guitar) that I affectionatly call BOOGER....I call the pickup P.O.S.T.(short for...PIECE OF SH*T TRUCK). :)
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

woodbeard

This is "Old Fritz" He came to me with that name scratched on the filter cover. He is sitting here on Frank N. Truck ( not a monster, but assembled similarly .)

Jeff

We had an old jeep Cherokee that we just sold this spring. We had it for 9 years. It was given its name way back when by a neighbors grandchild because of the noise it could make. It came to be know by this name to all of the neighbors.

They called it ah-oo-ga  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dail_h

When I worked at the flooring plant,everyone called the littel WMLT30 breadnbutter cause thats how I made my bread and butter.I also had a 1970 1/2 ton shortbed pickup that one of my kids named Nessie cause it was seamonster green ,the name stuck
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

ARKANSAWYER

:D :D :D ;D  Well now!  Most everything on the farm has a name here.  The trucks, tractors, boat, cars, and most of the equipment as well as the live stock and kids have names. ::)
Wanda May (WM) is the mill, Egor is the edger and Nancy Belle is the big tractor.  Red Chickey Chick is the red rooster and one should watch their back and small dogs if he is out on a chicken run.  If we name something it means it has become ours and we try to take pride and care of it. It becomes personal.  Now some live stock do not have names and the kids can tell where that critter will end up.  Just the ways of some simple people in the hills.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

We don't have names for any of our equipment. But we have named most of the places and features of the farm.

We have "Mad Cow Ridge" where one of our half Jersey and half Polled Herefords had her calf and would not let anyone within 30 yards of it.  We have "Big Buck Ridge" where the big ones hang out and "Deer Valley" where we see them cross.  "Hidden Valley" is a little valley that is almost closed off at the lower end by two ridges pinching in.  (We sometimes call it "Spring Valley" because there is a year-round spring in it.) Then we have "Walter Road" - a logging trail that Mary uses to ride Walter the mule.  Then we have fields called; "Upper Bottom", "Lower Bottom", "Big Field" and the "New Ground".  

There is a patch of full grown sycamore and some walnut in a area of the "Big Field" we call the "Brush Patch" because some 60 years ago it was planted in corn but later was taken back by brush.

The names are not much use to anyone but the close family.  But as we are always out and about for some reason on the farm,  it helps us communicate just where we are going or where we've been.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DanG

All our buildings have names. We have the mule barn, the long shed, the cane shed, the shop, the cow barn, and the cement barn.  The little abandoned sharecropper's cabin is called, "The little abandoned sharecropper's cabin."  I suppose it was once occupied by a little abandoned sharecropper. ::)
The only equipment name I have right now is "Rhoda Tiller."
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bro. Noble

We name all our cows------there's Stupid #1,  Stupid # 2,  
stupid # 3 etc.  Our three dogs have names----- dog, dog, and dog.  You can probably guess what our cats are named.

I am thinking about naming our log truck Teddy Roosevelt cause it's a rough riding SOB. :)

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

solidwoods

The knukle boom truck is BIG YELLOW
The backhoe/forklift is CRACKER
The tractor is SMOKEY
Mill is MILL

JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Jeff

hey Noble, you call your cows the same thing I call my dogs, only they are all considered equally stupid.

Tammy hates it when I say com'ere stupid. I've told her time and time again I meant the dog...

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

wiam

We had a steer named Hamburg.  Now we call him good hamburg. (I know. I know, back to food again)  We also have a cow named Ugly.  When she was 6 months old she got pnomonia and her ears froze so she only has have her ears.  dehorning did not go well and she ended up with a short nub on one side that is longer than her ears. But I forget why we call her Ugly.

Will

Dugsaws

Noble,
 That sounds like the names of our cows, but that is only when I am being nice to them
Doug

Bro. Noble

I forgot about old ''killer".

When Mr. and Mrs. Whitepe came to visit,  Becky was helping milk.  She was putting the milkers on a cow and I told Perry he otter get a kodac of Becky putting the milkers on 'Old Killer'.  He took the picture and still doesn't know if that's her name for real. :o :D

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Percy

This dont have nuthin to do with naming stuff but reading this thread reminded me of this old joke so here goes. :D :D :D

A city slicker drives out to the farm to visit and spend some time with an old freind he hasnt seen in years. As he is pulling up the driveway, he noticed a three legged pig walking about. Anyhow, when he see's his old freind, he forgets about the pig. They have a great time over dinner discussing old times. After dinner they continue their reminissing on the front porch. After a bit, the three legged pig walks by and the city slicker asks "What the hell happened to that pig??" The farmer says " That is the most amazing pig ever!! Five years ago, our house was burning down while we were all asleep in it and that pig busted thru the front door and made such a rukus that it woke us all up and saved our lives. And last summer I was on the tractor out in the back forty and the sucker tipped over and pinned me to the ground. I was surley gonna die and even had started to scratch out a will on the fender of the tractor when that pig comes outta no where and starts to rooting the dirt underneath me and basicly freed me from a slow death." The cityslicker says 'Wow, thats quite a pig, but still dont explain the three legs." The farmer says, "Well. a pig that good, ya dont wanna eat him all at once ya know." :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Mark M

Our cats are named: Zippy, Zappy, Alex, and General Sterling Price. Alex is the one I cut the tail off of with the saw and cloned.

Mark

Patty

All of our animals are named...even the ones we eat. Our pigs have names like Pork Chop and Hammy, so meals at the Folkerts' are like...yum Hammy tastes pretty good tonite. :) Percy's story reminded me of our 3-legged pig, Priscilla. We owned a restaurant when she was around and she got all the food scraps. She was so spoiled that she wouldn't touch her corn unless we poured gravey over it. :D
The chickens used to be named after all my aunts, Maxine, Esther, Edna, Arlene, Doris etc., but as time went on and they were replaced, I couldn't keep them straight...now they are all just called "my girls", except Whitey the one legged chicken.
The cats and dogs are all named appropriately...Cole or better known as "black dog", or Sid the cat short for "Sid Viscious & the Sex Kittens".
We haven't ever gotten around to naming the equipment anything more than the Ford or the SUV, or JD the tractor...pretty dull, I know, but at my age I have trouble remembering my own name much less everything else's. ::)

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Bibbyman

We've liquidated all the livestock on the farm to give more time to our sawmill work.  But we had lots of animals with names.

We had Walter the mule named after my granddad.
And Hattie the mare horse that was named after Mary's grandmother.
And Reba the Brown Swiss cow that was named after Reba MacIntire the singer because she had a red topknot.
We had Marlin the horse that was name after the Marlin 39m 22 rifle she traded for it over my protest.
We had a long string of dogs named after nuts - Peanut, Cashew and Hazel come to mind.
We had a wolf named Lobo and a buffalo named Rosa.

Mary on Walter.  Click on picture for more pictures of Walter the mule.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

Let's see. . .

The '84 XJS is named Fritz the Cat
The 97 XJ6 is named Jade
The '86 F250 4x4 is Bertha Butt
The JD670 is The Green Machine
The JD450CA crawler is Old Yaller of the Big Lemon
depending on its operating condtion at the time  ::)
The Stihl 038 is named Grunt
The Stihl 440 Magnum is named Whiz
The WMLT40 has not been used enough to earn a title at this point ???
The dogs are Baron and Chester
The cats are Caesar and Frisky
My wife and I seem to have multiple names depending on the circumastances ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

We name places in our hunting woods. Paticularly blinds and hunting spots. They may be named after the person that hunts there most (Uncle Ron's Blind, Lynda's Blind, etc) the type of blind (trap door blind, the condo, railroad spike tree (OH NO :o))) Or the area. (The flats, over east, the ridge, the pipeline, the powerline, the killing fields, the cuttings, etc)

Kevin_H.

My mill does not have a given name, But I have called it many things depending on how it is cutting ;D

That reminds me I need to order some parts... ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

hawby

Like Jeff, we name our huntin' spots. There's Marshall's blind (Marshall has been dead for ten years, but he killed more deer from that blind... He was 87 when he quit. Actually the blind is gone too :D :D) Pike's peak, Hell's Canyon ( A ravine full, I mean FULL of multiflora rose), the thicket.

We've got "Big John" ( JD 4020) and "Little John" (JD 720). Dad and I have different names for the JD "A". Mine is "&^$@*  Armbreaker".

The Mill has not gotten a name yet... but "she'll" earn one yet, I am sure. Funny how we do name inanimates.

hawby
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Thank You Sponsors!