iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Understanding GVW ratings for gooseneck trailers and their load capabilities...

Started by LOGDOG, June 14, 2010, 09:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

Quote from: Gary_C on June 20, 2010, 11:04:51 PM
Quote from: T Red on June 20, 2010, 09:57:07 AM
LD have you looked in your owners manual to see what the Gross Combination Weight Rating is?  It varies a lot by truck, even the same brand with different builds. 

In my experience this was the limiting factor. 

Chances are you will not like what you find and I don't know of any laws that limit you to that number. For the most part, the GCVWR is used by the manufacturers to limit their liability. And then at the same time they advertise those pickups pulling some huge loads and then tell you not to try this with your vehicle. You know the drill.   :)

Had the Center of my Clutch disk Tear free on my '06 F350 at 26K miles or so. Destroyed the Throw out bearing and the clutch Disk and center came out in pieces.. When i got the new clutch in there Ford told me the reason for my failure was i was towing too close to my Maximum Vehicle Tow Rating.. I called BS on that (I have exceeded it many times) but thats no reason for a clutch disk to Tear apart

Ironwood

I had a South Bend 450 HP clutch (same as OEM only heavier) rip the rivets out of the center, spun it just fine >:( South Bend gave me half off the new clutch, but no labor or tow, this was at about 20,000 miles after install. Unit was still in good shape, just rivets broke. I think the new one had upgraded that engineering defect. I think I get them from Black Cloud deisel'

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

T Red

Quote from: Gary_C on June 20, 2010, 11:04:51 PM
Chances are you will not like what you find and I don't know of any laws that limit you to that number. For the most part, the GCVWR is used by the manufacturers to limit their liability.

I agree with what you've said.  As far as the law I have not seen it either although that is true for many laws.  We had a couple of dmv officers at a cattleman's meeting, they stated they would go by the gcvwr of the towing vehicle, along with the tires, axles etc.  The disappointing part of the meeting was they themselves could not completely agree on most of the rules.  The same laws they write tickets for everyday.  ???

Quote from: Gary_C on June 20, 2010, 11:04:51 PMSecond would be axle loads, not necessarily ratings. And third would be total combined load, not necessarily ratings. 

I don't follow you here.  What are you considering the difference in axle load and ratings.  Are you saying you can be over the axle rating and be legal?  Where's the limit if you go by the combined load and disregard the  truck rating?

Quote from: Gary_C on June 20, 2010, 11:04:51 PMAlso you can be ticketed for both overweight on an axle
Been there with a class 8 truck, but don't see how this would apply to a light truck unless you followed the manufactures axle wt rating.  10k on a 1 ton w/ duals, which is much less than the 20k allowed by the feds.

Tim
Tim

Gary_C

Quote from: T Red on June 21, 2010, 04:42:10 PM
I don't follow you here.  What are you considering the difference in axle load and ratings.  Are you saying you can be over the axle rating and be legal?  Where's the limit if you go by the combined load and disregard the  truck rating?

On a pickup with a dually axle, the axle could be rated at say 10,000 lbs and with four 3000 lb rated tires you could legally carry about 12,000 lbs. What the axle rating is saying is that your springs are not rated for 12,000 lbs, but there are no laws for being over loaded on your springs.

So essentially the gross axle, vehicle, and combined ratings are more about your springs, drive train, and brake capacity. And there are no actual laws that I know that will prevent you from abusing those components.

But as you said, these DOT enforcement guys are unpredictable and don't always follow the letter of the law.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

T Red

So if you could distribute the load over all the axles on a 1 ton w/ duals and tandem duals on trailer
truck "E" rated tires.  I wish I could find "G's" for my truck.
    front axle 6000
    rear axle   12000
trailer "g" rated tires
    tandem duals  28000

totaling    46000

minus the truck and trailer wt say 17000 (guessing here) the payload would be 29000.  Talk about dangerous, you may get it moving but stopping?

I believe the NC DMV would find a violation to write you up on if they seen that load.  

Tim
Tim

Thank You Sponsors!