iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Career change education advice needed

Started by sprintfan11, November 23, 2012, 08:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprintfan11

Hello, I am seriously considering pursuing a bachelors in Forestry. I already have a bachelors in Information Systems so I was wondering would the only coursework I would need would be those specific to Forestry? I don't think I would need all of the core classes since I already have a bachelors.

My bachelors is from Susquehanna University and I would be getting a Forestry degree from Penn State.

Thanks, Shawn
Use up, wear out, make do or do without.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20"
1994 GMC 1500 4X4
Central Boiler 5036 OWB
Troy-Built 27 ton splitter
Generac 6500 generator
More stuff to come....

beenthere

Would be best to visit Penn State and talk it over with the head of the Department.

Forestry includes a lot of science classes and they have labs. Biology, zoology, botany, ecology, bug-ology, geology, surveying, etc and the list goes on. Things may be quite different now, but you may already have the math and the statistics courses that might be required.

Should be interesting for you to find out just what it would take. Let us know too.

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Leigh Family Farm

How close are you to PSU? Or even a satellite campus? It might be easier for you to take some of the prerequisite courses at a satellite campus and still keep your current job. The Ag Dept will have guidance counselors that can assist you. When I went to PSU, they were a wealth of information and helped me get a good job almost right out of school.

You can't Badger a Lion!!! We Are....Penn State!!!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

MichHunter

Penn State may have a masters program that you can jump into even if your undergrad was not in forestry.  I just completed a Master of Forestry at Michigan Tech with an undergraduate bachelors of science in mathematics.  If you do some searching you might find that a school like Penn State offers a Master of Forestry degree that you can complete in less than two years if you qualify.

WDH

Information technology is very important in forestry.  Use that to your advantage.  A Masters in Forestry may be the way to take advantage of your background.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sprintfan11

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be looking into the masters program at PSU. May take awhile but, it will be worth it.

WDH, I grew up not far from Perry in Bonaire, graduated from Warner Robins High School in 1984. My dad still lives in Bonaire.
Use up, wear out, make do or do without.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20"
1994 GMC 1500 4X4
Central Boiler 5036 OWB
Troy-Built 27 ton splitter
Generac 6500 generator
More stuff to come....

WDH

Let me know when you come down again and we will talk wood and forestry.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!