iDRY Vacuum Kilns

New mention function

Started by Jeff, August 09, 2014, 01:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I think this feature it pretty neat, especially for putting a notification on an old thread, but I've noticed it is being used a little too heavily lately, almost as a replacement for quoting another post. Maybe I'm alone on this one, but using the tag on every reply in a thread really isn't necessary. It generates an email which then goes to your smart phone if your email is linked. I think it's great if you are trying to draw attention to someone, but not to respond to someone in the previous post on a current thread. :) If you want to respond to me in a current thread, just use my name without the @. If you have dragged up an old thread and want to get may attention, use the @tag. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Totally agree.  The only reason it should ever be used is if you really need someone to know that they need to look at something. If that person has already posted in the topic, you should not use that function.  It can be a great tool, but could easily become an annoyance that I can remove, or only give certain member group levels permission to use.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Well put. And any of you brushsaw wanna be's out there that want my attention, start using it to. I don't read every thread. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Another issue, that I have seen, and I end up getting the complaint wanting to know what is going on.

When someone uses the mention function, and picks the wrong username.  They get an email, they get a personal message, and they have no clue why they are getting a notification, so in turn, I get an email and a personal message and have to go figure it all out.

Gary_C

I wondered who gets notified when you type in Goat or Old Goat but I checked before I added the @ and found we actually have members with those names.   :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Magicman

But dem's different Goats.  :)  Dis one is a stinky old "Billy Bull Goat".  smiley_airfreshener
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

I've edited the first post in this topic.  I was able to upgrade this so you can opt out of notifications by clicking on profile then going to profile info/mentions/settings

LeeB

Don't recon I need to opt out. Wood appear no one wants to tag me anyway.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

This forestry forum function has been removed. The reason is that it was a poorly written modification and it was very buggy. It worked for some, did not work for others, and the log errors it created were significant. All of this takes a toll on the Forum's performance, so for now, this function no longer exists.  If you want to draw someone's attention to a post. send them a friendly personal message.  :)

Okrafarmer

Only just now saw this. I wasn't very active on the Forum when you guys were experimenting with it. Thanks for trying it out, " @Jeff " , this would have been nice if it had worked properly.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Jeff

It does work properly now we think. ;)

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jeff on September 08, 2016, 07:33:06 PM

Ah, well, who might be awake that I could try this on?  ???
@Ianab, does the world-wide summoning feature work?  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ianab

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 08, 2016, 11:50:25 PM
Quote from: Jeff on September 08, 2016, 07:33:06 PM

Ah, well, who might be awake that I could try this on?  ???
@Ianab, does the world-wide summoning feature work?  ;D

As chance would have it...

Yes.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

THis function has been reinstated, as it should have no problem running on the new server. I'll test it and see if someone on the other side of the world will notice. Can you hear me @Ianab ?

Magicman

I appreciate the function and hopefully it will not be overused/abused.  Reviewing Reply #26 above might help.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Well it worked. Just I was standing out in the pouring rain listening to the Foo Fighters play . So wasn't checking the board 😁
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff