iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 17, 2019, 05:52:42 PM
Magicman, You are blessed everywhere you go.  
Thank You John, that comment means a lot to me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tessmtm

Thanks all for the welcome!

WDH

Dried pawlonia lumber is light as a feather.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

Each log, branch, stem has a hole down the middle.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

TT,

Thanks for mentioning that. I only sawed some last year one time and was not really sure it was Paulonia. I was afraid it was Ailanthus (Stink tree). My Paulonia was very light and they did have a hole down the middle. I just got the logs - well half were firewood sized and the bark and other features sure looked like Ailanthus but no bad smell.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

My 230 mile away customer contacted me this evening.  I made two road trips sawing timbers for him last year and he is ready again.  Weather permitting it is set up for the 27th.  move_it
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kwill

Road trip for magicman 8)
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Magicman

Yup, a couple of pictures from the last two trips:

Some of the Red Oak logs.

Some of the timbers.

Some more.

Over 60 apartment units being built and all using timbers as posts, door & window headers, and exposed rear screened in porch material.  I am sawing all timbers, no side lumber.

He said that I would make at least a couple of trips this year.  8)

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I am here to tell you I don't want the job as your off-bearer when you are sawing them timbers! My back started aching just looking at the picture. :D

(Okay, I am sure he has a skid steer and you probably just lift the rollers and roll them to the end of the mill to be picked up so probably not such a bad job after all.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Yup, lift the toe board rollers and either the skid steer forks or a sling strap is used to remove the timbers. 

Either way is good. 

The heavy slabs that would not make a timber also had to be gotten off.  Here is shown sliding a slab off and onto skid steer forks.

Forks positioned and the excavator bucket is ready.  Easy does it.

Steady as she goes.

Now the slab can go one way and the timber gets stacked.  

The excavator is bringing me another Red Oak log to be bucked and sawn.  :)

Crossroads

That looks like sweet job MM, have fun and be careful 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 18, 2019, 09:17:56 AM
TT,

Thanks for mentioning that. I only sawed some last year one time and was not really sure it was Paulonia. I was afraid it was Ailanthus (Stink tree). My Paulonia was very light and they did have a hole down the middle. I just got the logs - well half were firewood sized and the bark and other features sure looked like Ailanthus but no bad smell.
I've sawn it twice, remember a pleasant spicy smell and the wood being very wet, and sawing sort of crispy like one might think of cutting up celery.  There are a number of threads here under the name including mine.  I noted in my thread about it that the first time I sawed it it did not have the holes down the middle in the main logs.  Not sure what was up with that but the second job every log large or small had a hole in the pith.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WLC

Magicman, that looks like a sweet set up for you to saw at.  I know that you are only sawing what the customer wants/needs, but its a shame that all that side lumber goes to a burn pile or wherever it goes.  I just cringe thinking about it.  This coming from someone who hasn't seen an oak tree in several years though and would have a heyday having a whack of oak logs to saw.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

doc henderson

We have Catalpa here in the mid west.  very light, splits with a maul like you are a super hero, burn easy but not much coal, smells like someone is smoking a pipe when burning in a wood stove and you are outside.  we have groves here as the government thought it would be good fast growing wood for railroad ties.  people buying land in the country bulldoze down whole groves to build.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I understand WLC, but the first objective is to meet the customer's cut list.  I did about the same thing myself when sawing Red Oak for Marty's flooring.  Whatcha Sawin' ??? in Sawmills and Milling  He did not want any white sapwood so I slabbed deep so that the first board taken would be at least a 5" all heartwood board. 

I was left with this pile of thick slabs which I got rid of this week.

I bucked them to 18" and hauled them, one load at the time, on the back of the Golf Car.  Yes, there were some very nice one and two live edged 2" & 3" slabs that would have made fine benches but they will also make firewood.  Remember that I ain't in the "selling business".

Continuing to whittle away at the slab pile.

About gone.

The last load.

The slab pile produced ~half a cord of firewood that I will split when it is loaded to haul home.  Right now it is stacked under a carport and drying nicely.

All of the Red Oak slabs produced on the road trip timber sawing jobs were also bucked into firewood so nothing was wasted.

WDH

That will make great firewood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

And this was one tired puppy when I finished  smiley_sweat_drop  and that night I  smiley_sleeping  but now I can   :).

WLC

I understand, but makes it no easier on me :D.  At least it doesn't go to waste.  All my slabs wind up as firewood as well.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Magicman

Of course anything containing a combination of sap & heartwood is subject to crook so at least there is an advantage quality wise.  Now I will admit that I hated to whack those live edged thick slabs but I have six drying now and if I need more I can easily make them.

Magicman

Yesterday I prepped the sawmill getting her ready for my scheduled 230 mile road trip Monday.  The "up/down" cylinder on the two plane clamp had started to creep up so a "rebuild" was done.  I had ordered the rebuild kit when I first noticed a creep but not had/taken the time to install it.  Anyway with Marty's help, it's done now. 

I had planned to travel Sunday evening and be ready to saw Monday morning but a Monday AM appointment with my Cardiologist has delayed my plans for a bit.  I now plan to tow the mill, park it, see the Dr., and then complete the remaining 175 miles.   move_it

SawyerTed

Hope all goes well, especially the cardiologist visit.  Those visits sometimes turn into bigger stuff.  My dad had triple bypass 10 days ago.  He's doing fine.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Resonator

If they see the mill parked in front of the Dr. office, they'll think your getting a lumbar support. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

terrifictimbersllc

I parked my truck & mill at the Drs. office once on the way to a job.💊💉🚑

Magicman

This will be my first time ever to see a Cardiologist.  Had a scan done Monday which showed plaque in my Left Anterior Descending Artery.  That sounds simple when it is someone else or until you read that the LAD is called the "Widow Maker".  :o   :P

Anyway I'll have my sawmill/clothes and am planning on sawing next week.   ;D

terrifictimbersllc

Wishing you the best and not much to worry about.  Knowing you you'll probably walk out of there with a nice sawing job!  8)

Thank You Sponsors!