iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

Quote from: Crossroads on June 11, 2018, 09:07:38 PM
I really like you mill shed law dawg.
It is a good looking mill shed indeed Lawg Dawg. But then I noticed you also are looking quite good for your age ;D. Maybe it's the pretty lady standing next to you that makes you look so young. :D :D :D
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

PA_Walnut

Did everyone stop sawing while Magic is on vacation?  :D :D :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

I must'a sawed a few logs last night, at least Pat said that I did.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday, I tried sawing parallel to the bark for a change. I wanted to see how this 2" thick slab would turn out. I am hoping to sell it as a bar top or some other such thing.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Scottasheppard

1x13x15 200 board foot and a couple or 3 4x4x15 8)

Aka Porkie

Busysawyer

Finished cutting the poplar and got that stickered up.

Then I started cutting up a little sassafras. I really like the grain patterns in the sassafras.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

DPatton

Quote from: Magicman on June 13, 2018, 09:01:04 AM
I must'a sawed a few logs last night, at least Pat said that I did.  ;D
:D :D :D  MM if we're counting dem types of logs I probably got millions of board feet under my belt.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

Crossroads

The roof was all prepped to start laying shingles, but the roof didn't show up. So, we fired up the mill and played around with making some 3 1/2" lap siding to replace some of the stuff on the garage that was no good. Ended up using a 1/4" shim and set the set works at 3/8" and 9/16" and the siding turned out good with one edge at 3/16 and the other at 1/2". Once we got a system down, it went pretty fast. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Darrel

I'm sawin more blue pine for paneling. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

Quote from: DPatton on June 13, 2018, 08:11:52 PMMM if we're counting dem types of logs

OK, no picture or it didn't happen.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Today's treasure was this large white pine log:

Not the best end but it's over 12' 6" long before the bad spot starts.
I've got two 2x slabs off it so far.
And my stock list has some short 8x8x and 8x10 so I should get something out of it.
Jim Rogers
PS changing alternators first thing tomorrow morning.

Bruno of NH

My first walnut sawn.
Not the best stuff had a lot of sap wood
But you don't find much walnut around my parts.
The customer worked with us and was a great help and a new friend now.
He was very happy with my service. <
It was 4/4 and 8/8br>

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Hey, that is a nice Walnut.  As with any Walnut, happiness is what it gives you.  8)

Bruno of NH

I sawed the walnut today by hourly rate.
It's the first time I did this.
The customer had many odd logs.
He was happy but I don't think I charged enough per hour.
I have a lot of equipment that helped speed it up.

Darrel

Still cutting fire killed ponderosa pine. Sure is purdy stuff!

June 14, 2018 - YouTube
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

DPatton

Quote from: PA_Walnut on June 13, 2018, 08:56:47 AM
Did everyone stop sawing while Magic is on vacation?  :D :D :D
PA_Walnut,
I had all kinds of good intentions of sawing during the evenings this past week after I moved the mill on Sunday. But baseball games, family time and a little 4 day camping outing got in the way. :) :D :) :D :) :D

Some days are just to valuable to spend sawing. Maybe next week.

D & S Sawmill Services

WV Sawmiller

Built a 4' walnut mortise and tenon bench today and had another one ready to trim the legs on the mill. Decided I better let the glue dry in the one today so just trimmed the legs on the other one. Just turn them upside down on the mill, clamp, set to 17" and one pass cuts all legs same height and angle so they sit perfect on a concrete slab or floor. While set up I cut a couple of small 4' and 6' pieces (39 bf) into 10/4 square stock for bench or table legs. I think I will try to keep several pieces of that in stock. I did get a couple of coats of tung oil on the first bench so I can take it to some upcoming flea markets and shows. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Didn't do any sawmill sawing.  Did build a table over the last couple of days.

Here the table is in the customer's dining area.

G
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Briankinley2004

Cut a cherry log today for a customer I swap with. got some 22" wide live edge boards out of the center which maxed out my mill. If things go as planned wont saw anything for the next 3 weeks as I have several fishing trips out in the gulf and plan to stay on my boat for the duration rather than drive 6 hrs home between them.

Brad_bb

DanG Jim!  I'd have trimmed that log before going on the mill rather than having to trim a bunch of boards  ;D
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Lawg Dawg

More red oak slabs, finally figured out how to get $2 per board foot for green red oak
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

PA_Walnut

Best curly sugar maple that I've sawed this year: white as snow, clear, excellent consistent figure. Quartered as much as possible as it's good enough for instruments. 8/4 and wide 5/4 sets that are 18+ wide! 
It's the only thing that I like sawing more than walnut!  8)

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

Dat Maple is some purdy stuff.  8)

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Brad_bb on June 14, 2018, 09:58:38 PM
DanG Jim!  I'd have trimmed that log before going on the mill rather than having to trim a bunch of boards  ;D
Normally I would but so far I've got some 12' pieces out of the outside. I know the middle won't give me 12' ones so I'll trim as I go.
Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!