iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firearms Deer Season is here!!!

Started by ADAMINMO, November 14, 2008, 09:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

We had 4" snow today here as well. The last few rains left about 1-2" of ice and crust.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

We wouldn't dare leave a deer in the woods overnight here.  The coyotes wouldn't leave anything worth hauling out the next morning
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

Yes, always a hazard here. Coyotes didn't bother it though. Not too many seen in this area at present. I guess they aren't traveling very well in this weather either. ;)  They haven;t even gotten to the gut pile yet.
~Ron

semologger

Adam are you going to take your kids out for youth season jan 2,3. I am going to take my 10 year old daughter. Weather permiting.

ADAMINMO

Yup I am takin them but it is on the 3 & 4 and not the 2 & 3 . Hope you catch this and it saves you a ticket. Good luck man. And Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!!

semologger

Not many game wardens on my property. ;). I  hope i get over this bronchitis so i can go. I might have to make grandpa go. Its going to be warmer in january than it was in november. Strange weather.

fishpharmer

Awesome deer and stories everyone. 

I had the best opening day of deer gun season ever.  My eight year old daughter wanted to go deer hunting.  We went and got in the stand.   She shot her very first deer, a little doe.  But she was happy and proud.  I wouldn't have been happier killing a huge buck.  It was awesome.  When I figure out how I will post a pic.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

farmerdoug

The Michigan deer season is over here as of yesterday.  It was a slow season here on the farm.  I shot one in the early doe season, one in the regular firearm season and one in the muzzleloader season.  They were all does.  We have a late anterless season here in Michigan in most of the lower peninsula but not in my county. >:(  Three deer do not go a long way here as we eat alot of venison in this household.

So when I was offered to get in on some deer drives with a friend in the county to the north of me, I jumped at the chance.  We hunted on Dec 30th and Jan 1st.  I thought we had a deer problem here but I am glad not to be farming up there. 

The first day we drove three woods and corn fields.  There were 15 hunters and a couple of boys along too.  On the three drives that day we pushed out 100+ deer.  We dropped 24 deer that day too.

On the second day we also pushed three more woods with 17 hunters and 6 boys along also.  We pushed out another 100+ deer getting 23 deer that day.

So the total for the two days of drives is 47 deer.  All where wanted as alot of the guys are farmers and they do not get much of a chance to hunt the earlier seasons.  I was a fun two days and made some new friends to boot.  Most of the tags for the deer were farmers block permits so the state made 470 dollars to boot too.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

stonebroke

Farmer Doug

What is a farmer block permit and how does it work?

Stonebroke

farmerdoug

Here in Michigan the MDNR will issue block permits for anterless deer if the farmer has documented crop damage.  They work just like the regular anterless permits except they are issued in large blocks.  The farmer has to pay ten dollars for each one they purchase though and that can add up real fast.  The block permits allow the MDNR to center control of local deer populations as they are only good within a mile of the farm they are issued too.  A farmer can get from 10-100 permits.

Deer tend to be localized in the farm country here.  We have 30-50 deer here in our section our farm is located but 2 miles to the north they may run 10 per square mile.  Alot of it boils down to food and cover.  In area where the woods are managed for deer or cut over often they can over populate fast.  If an area farmer is not a 'clean farmer' and a 'farm it all type farmer', there is alot more food available for the deer too.  I my case, we raise veggies so there is a large variety of food for the deer to browse and even though it would probably reduce the deer damage I like to leave some crops for the wildlife. :)  We have done real good on record book turkeys here on the farm.
Doug
Fargo, MI

stonebroke

I have gotten to the point where I cannot raise corn,actually I can raise it there just isn't anything left to harvest after the deer get though with it.

Stonebroke

farmerdoug

I hear you.  Between the deer and coons I have to plant twice as much sweet corn as I actually sell. ::)  Where we did the drives the deer had stripped 1/3 of the corn already.  Normally it is off by now but with the cool summer the corn dried slow and the fall was too wet to harvest it also.  They are taking it off this week as the snow melted back and the ground froze a little.  They chisel plowed alot of fields up there just before the new year.
Doug
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!